460 Ford Forum banner

93 fox body going under the knife.

4K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  93badazzlx 
#1 ·
Hey im new to the forum.Ill first start off by telling you what i have.
93 fox body lx with gt appearl( would have left the lx stuff on)
spooled 8.8 rear
gutted interior,even the rubber stuff on the floor
460 out of an RV/motor home
tranny out of the same vehicle.
This is what i have so far. The car was a 4cylinder.I have a complete 302 sat in there. but looking at it.. I see 5.0 stangs all day everyday.. Im a sucker for the raw sound and throwing u back in the seat power of the big block. So im ripping the 302 out. Is the RV 460 a good plat form? Ive read that they were built to pull,haul, and do grunt work. well a stripped down fox body is probably 1/4 of what a rv weighs. im gonna build my own motor mounts.few questions.can i use/what modifications to my crossmember do i have to do?Ive also read that the e350 oil pan will work on my k member? is the rv pan the same? Im not trying to rotate the earth. make reliable,good power.i want to put a good cam in.Any suggestions?And an intake that will work well with the cam.and for now im gonna leave the stock manifolds on if i can?And suggestions would help alot. thanks!

#2 ·
What year model rv would help with some pics of the engine removed manifolds can be used but usually need to be truck units that tuck close to the block. I have built about ten bigblock foxes and always made my own mounts the way I did them is super cheap and set the motor nice and low. I dont have any pics of the mounts but can tell you how to make them.

#3 ·
Yea thatd be great if you could walk me threw this motor mount process! Oh and year of the rv is 84-85. I know its still carbed. but i just want something to play with on the street for now.I can always add stuff once the cars running.my main concern right now is, get motor and tranny in, running driving, work out any of them little kinks,then start playing. But im sure the car with the factory 460 will be fun for a little:Dbut yeah let me know how you did your mounts

#4 ·
Ok they are very simple to make and require no welding. Go to the salvage yard and get the motor mount cups off of a 80's era chevy camaro you want to use car units as they set the engine half inch lower than truck units. Redrill the lower center hole in the mounts with a half inch drill bit and then measure the block holes that are one directly above the other and drill a hole in the chevy cup that distance up from the bottom hole you drilled out to half inch between the two factory chevy holes, bolt these to the block. Get a piece of 3 inch wide 1/4" thick flat stock and a set of 80's era chevy frame mounts from your local parts store. Cut two pieces of the flat stock to the length of the frame mounts and drill the bolt pattern into them bolt these together with motor mount cups on the engine and install engine and trans together, after you have the engine in mark hole through the factory holes in the frame stands lift the engine enough to get the frame mount assemly out and drill half inch holes through the 1/4 inch plates and sandwich a 1 1/2" long 1/2" bolt between the plate and the frame mounts. This is how I made my mounts the oil pan should sit 1/2 inch above the rack with a motorsport or equivelant pan. While the engine is out bend the tabs on the rag joint in with a couple taps of a hammer for exhaust manifold clearance. From my experince the manifolds that fit are usually truck manifolds the studs for the exhaust should be almost horizontal not the ones with the studs vertical these wont clear. Hope this will get you started.;)

#5 ·
Has it ever been done to single turbo a 460 in a fox body mustang? ive been searching and searching and cant seem to find any real good descriptions or pictures of any turboed 460s. Im looking to do a DIY kit. port the cast manifold and flip them. make a cross over and mount either a single or twin turbo. i think it will be a pretty crazy car!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.