460 Ford Forum banner

73 Mach 1

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  CollegeKnowledge 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello,

First off I'm new to this forum and want to thank to everyone that participate on these forums it's a great help.

I just picked up a 73 Mustang for a project. The car is from Ga. very clean I'm now the third owner the second owner decided to really go to town on the car. The body "MINT" nothing really needs to be done inside or outside for the most part. Alright so down to why I'm on this forum. I need little in site the guy told me he's pulling around mid to high 500 +/- hp out of this car. So here is the information he provided me so far crawling around all looks good.

From the seller:
the engine and transmission are both 1969 out of a pick up. the rearend is not sure what year but it's a for 9 inch rear end nothing done to it. the transmission is a c6 rebuilt with as many clutches that could fit and shift kit.
The engine is a 69 460 the guy I bought it from told me the year he was a very knowledgable man who i bought it from. he is the one who help me put the engine together. The heads I had the largest valves possible cut and put in them everything was port and polished 6 angle valve job and polished.
The intake is a edlebrock perfomer rpm the cam is an edlebrock performer rpm the carberatorr is a 750 edlebrock performer rpm that has the biggest jets and springs in it . the pistons are speed pro forgered , the rings are speed pro forged . the bearings are .010 over same with the cam bearings . the engine is bored .030 over . the roller rockers are crane cam roller rockers , the valve springs are edlebrock springs .

Alright, That was the story I was told not sure if the thing will pull mid 500hp or not. I have not been able to start it cause the starter that was in it "summit pro torque" was cracked in half. New one ordered so I can attempt to fire this thing up. He claims it's has around 14:1 compression so again that's why I'm on here what do you guys think if this is everything he has done? what do you think it might be pushing for HP.

I'm just now going through everything on the car he cut the trunk placed a fuel cell and battery in the trunk all bradded hoses from back to front filters, regulators etc... I don't care for that so I will be pulling the fuel cell and putting a tank back in with an inline pump.

I will take some pictures and let you guys have your voice as well. I look forward to it. Should be a good project.

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#4 ·
The guy may have assumed it was a truck engine because of the rod bolts I have torn a few car engines apart that had truck rods in them and they were the original engines out of said cars. But I believe that they didnt put 460's in trucks in 69. But I would think it would be a little better than 500 with the parts you mentioned.

#5 ·
The compression ratio sounds a little bit like a fishing story if you know what I mean every time the guy talked about it the cr ratio went up a little I am new to all engine building but I know for a fact my dad had a superbike that was 13:1 and that thing made 144 hp out of 3/4 of a liter so your motor is roughly 7.5 liters if that statement is true you should more like 1000+ hp by my logic.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.