460 Ford Forum banner

Mustang II

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  bigblok86ranger 
#1 ·
What would it take to put a 460 in a mustang II ?

#2 ·
I had one sitting in a 75 and there was quite a bit that needed to be done to make it fit right. The tranny tunnel will need to be cut out and replaced to clear a C-6 or a bigblock bellhousing on a C-4. Aquire a stock front sump pan and cut and modify it so that the back part of the pan just clears the crank. I think you will need a front motor plate to mount it. As far as exhaust I think you will be on your own there , if I remember right it looked as though hooker super comps for 71 mustang with a 429 would work but that was just looking and those are over 500bucks. If you could find a used set real cheap to test fit you might be better off. From the measurements it would be easier to cut out the firewall and use a modern mustang swap pan. There is one in my town but the guy is a real hacker and the engine sets at quite an angle so wouldnt be much to learn off his. I never completed the one I was working on and maybe someone has a finished one on here. You might be able to get the bb bell to clear on a C-4 with some heavy massaging with a 3 pound chevy wrench.;)

#3 ·
Back when mine was basically stock and 302 with headers it was very tight around the bell housing area to the front trailing arms. Even with a small block and a small bottle mine started cracking the fire wall and busting out the lead joints at the back of the roof. I went off the deep end and modified everything. What is the final goal for this build?
Thanks,
Chuck

#4 ·
Just found a 78 that I was trying to get but no word on it. I have a worked over 460 for my 69 and a stock on sitting around so I was thinking of putting it the 78 if it would work. But they have to call me back in the last 2 weeks and I would just do a 331 in it any ways. Just thought it would be a fun car with a 460 under it.

#5 ·
I was thinking it would be also when I was contemplating it. If you make a go of it you will need to use aftermarket lower control arms to eliminate the strut rods. I would love to see someone do one and make it look like it came as an option in there.

If I ever won the lottery all I would do was put 460's in evrything Ford ever made that I could get my hands on.:D:D:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.