460 Ford Forum banner

1973 Gran Torino

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  mustangdug 
#1 ·
Here is my new project, a 1973 Gran Torino. I bought if from a coworker that was going to run it in a demo derby. I told him I'd give him $500 for the car and he took it. Its got 65,000 original miles on it. His grandmother was the original owner.

The car had a transmission leak so they parked it at their farm about 9 years ago, its just sat there since then. It had a 302 and a C4 in it, I rebuilt the carb, boiled the gas tank and replace the fuel lines put a battery in it and drove it, ran good. Didn't clean the points or anything, I did put a new brake master cylinder on and topped off the trans with fluid.

Then this spring I got bored had a cam, intake and carb for a 302 sitting around so I decided to put it in, well durring dissasembly I found that the cam bearings were cracked due to rust forming on them. So I wasnt going to tear the engine down and put new bearings in.

I had 2 460s sitting in the garage so that were I'm at now. Just picked up my connecting rods today, tomorrow I'll take them to the machine shop so I can get my crank balanced out. I'm building a 468 10.0:1 compression engine. Should be between 600-650HP. I just want a fun street car.

The car is solid but it does have an 8" rear end I'm going to have to swap for a 9". Hope to get the body work done next year then I'll drop the engine in and fire it up. I'll try to update this post whenever I make any major progress.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Glad you could save it, would have been a shame to see that in a derby.

That should be a bit of a change going from the 302 to the big mota!!

Bill

#4 ·
I had a 73 Gran Torino as a senior in HS (1981) wasn't a cool car then, but i took the stock 351w/FMX and swapped 351CJ/C6 from a 72 Torino under cover detectives car. The C6 had the small torque converter and stalled real nice. I put a beat down on a few stock late 70's Cameros, a nice feat for a 4000 pound car. It was black on black Sport model, god that was a fun car, nice back seat if ya know what i mean!:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.