460 Ford Forum banner

12.00 car

5K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  1BADBIRD 
#1 ·
i just picked up a 1980 notchback stang..super straight, manual windows, manual brakes..i am pulling the front and rear bumper off..yanking the heater box out , only 1 seat, anyway i pulled my 460 out of the 4 door and its going in the stang, i am wanting to build a 12.00 index bracket car, so whats the combo to put this car at 12.00, i am thinking stock dove ehads, with the rpm cam and intake with a 750 carb with 3.55 gears ...whats your guys opinion

#5 ·
I think it is just about the best street/strip cam ever made for the 460 for a hydraulic cam. There are some people that are even custom grinding cams to the specs. B.F. Evans has them on sale right now for under a $100. If I had the money I would order myself a couple just to have on the shelf.

#7 ·
You have to remember this is a big block, it is a healthy cam but I wouldnt call it BIG. I think it is on the edge for a hydraulic cam but it works great look at duration at .050 :244/254* not a huge amount. The peak hp will be right around 6000 rpm's. I ran the C-460 with a 2500 stall and a Wiend Stealth and 3310 holley in my old mustang for a couple years and loved it. The cam doesnt make much vacuum for brakes but you have manual so you are covered there.

#11 ·
You will need some machining to the heads ie. the guides need to be cut down and pc seals used I would also have them machine to accept roller rockers while you were at it. It might not be the best cam for stone stock heads, I would have some work done to them definitely worth the time/money.

#12 ·
Reminds me of my big block Mustang from a few years back. When I first did the swap I put the D0VE 429 in the car completely stock except for oil pan, Hooker headers and Holley 750. In a 84 coupe full interior with 3.08 & drag radials it ran 8.50s in 1/8. At that point I had about $1100 in it. Good bang for the buck.

#14 · (Edited)
what heads are you running? and pistons? compression, this motor (shortblock) is from a 1990 3/4 ton truck, unsure of the miles but it was running when i pulled it, if the budget allows me i will go ahead and have the crank turned, new bearing .oil pump..etc..depend on how much $$$ we get back at tax time

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.