460 Ford Forum banner

Yet Another BB Fox Swap- Few Questions

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  jtphoneman 
#1 · (Edited)
Yet Another BB Fox Swap- w/PICS

Hello all, I am in the middle of installing a 460 in a 91 Coupe. I have installed a PA racing k member and I am using 1.5" kmember spacers. I was wondering what the best thing to do with my steering shaft? I will need to lengthen it b/c I dropped the kmember down 1.5"

I have seen the Maximum Motorsport telescoping shafts, should I go ahead and spend the $$ to get one or is there a better less expensive alternative? I plan on running the stock 4 cyl. rack and pinion for alittle while.

I plan on picking up a set of DD Auto Specialties Shorty Headers soon. Here are a few pics of what I have done so far. Dont have the back spacers in the pics, I did not have the right screws for them. Hope to pic them up tomorrow and finish it.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks for the input, that is a 1.5" spacer between the kmember and frame. I am going to try and extend the steering shaft out and replace the stock rag joint with a smaller one from summit. Should pickup a set of used D&D shorty headers today! I will post up more pics soon of the 460 and headers, maybe saturday can get the motor in the car.

If I cant get the stock steering shaft to extend down far enough I guess I will bite the bullet and buy a Maximum Motorsports Telescoping Shaft.

#8 · (Edited)
If I cant get the stock steering shaft to extend down far enough I guess I will bite the bullet and buy a Maximum Motorsports Telescoping Shaft.
The stock steering shaft (up in the column) has about a foot of travel so you have plenty. You might have to shim the inner column mount down with a couple of washers to keep clearance around the header tubes.

If you emailed me about spacers.... I will be ordering material next week, and should have kits available in two weeks.

If you build your own and use 1/8" square tubing. Be sure and put something inside the tubes so they won't colapse when the bolts are torqued down.

#10 ·
Usually you'll have to beat on it to get it to move. They get corroded sometimes. It will slide all the way out if you want and you can squirt some WD on it so it stays free.

I actually had a ruptured biceps tendon. They had to fix it twice. I'm hoping to go back to work full time in February, but I'm feeling good enough to try to get some spacer kits out next week. (don't tell my doctor). ;-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.