460 Ford Forum banner

The 83GT

81K views 273 replies 51 participants last post by  BigBlockRanger 
#1 ·
New project thread!

One thing that became painfully obvious once the Ranger was running was that it was really only big enough for two people to ride in. This is a problem seeing that I have 2 boys, 6 & 8, (not to mention Ranger's are not 'cool' to them, but 'Mustangs' certainly are!). They are just getting to the point they think hot rods are cool so I decided to move on to something we can all get in (wifey too!) and enjoy. I wanted a fox body because they are popular and have lots and lots of parts available, plus they are an excellent drag car platform. After a little searching, I found an 83 Mustang GT with no trans that has been baking in the sun for about 9 years.

Pics

Stock 5.0L

interior before cleaning

The wet pics make it look waaaaay better than it really is. The paint is very faded and the interior is pretty crunchy. The underbody is very very clean and that makes me very happy. Odo shows 70k miles.

Current plan:

• 545/C6 swap from the Ranger
    8.8 swap w/ 3.90's
    F/R 5 lug conversion & c-clip elims
    subframe connectors
    manual steering swap
    6 or 8 point bar
    sumped gas tank
    replace carpet and other interior pieces -> armrests, 1/4 plastic, door panels, seats, dash pad, etc etc.

Right now I have not done much except collect parts. I still need to strip down the Ranger and get it out of the shop.

I am really hoping to get this together and take it on Drag Week this year...fingers crossed!

See less See more
#2 ·
If you dont want to do the sumped tank Granatelli makes a nice drop in fuel tank insert that drops into the tank I used them on a couple different mustangs I had they work nice and have -10 outlet and -06 return. They are a directreplacement for the stock pickup.

If you can make that dual snorkel set-up work on the bigblock that would be cool.

#4 ·
If you dont want to do the sumped tank Granatelli makes a nice drop in fuel tank insert that drops into the tank I used them on a couple different mustangs I had they work nice and have -10 outlet and -06 return. They are a directreplacement for the stock pickup.

If you can make that dual snorkel set-up work on the bigblock that would be cool.
The hood will need to be cut, but it MAY fit under that factory scoop.

I really like that '83. They came out when I was in HS, and of course I couldn't afford one. :rolleyes:

#5 ·
I have considered keeping the dual snorkel air cleaner on it. I just like the way they look. I may put a small cowl hood (1.5" or so) on it and then put the stock 83 scoop on top.

The Ranger is coming out of the shop this weekend!!!! Good thing too, my Mustang parts pile is growing!

#10 ·
Oh god that brings back bad memories of an 83 gt I built for a friend car looked nice til I started to tear into it and what was gonna be a simple 460 swap turned into a 3 month nightmare I ended up restubbing the whole front subframe because he didn't want to find another car. It turned out nice though;
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Sedan

#15 ·
The Competition Engineering roll bar kit is a nice unit the rear bars come long enough to have them bent to clear the back seat so you still have room for the kids and most kids love to climb over the shoulder bar to get into the back seat.

#17 ·
Yes, I will pass on that. Especially since my gas tank sump made for Fox tanks came in today... $44 shipped. :)

Progress was made last night....

subframes are connected - VERY impressed with the fit of the Comp Engineering bolt-ins.

seats are out

hatch lift struts replaced

busted headlight replaced

sun visors replaced with blue ones from my Ranger

#20 · (Edited)
More interior removed.

8.8 disassembled.

Traction lok rebuilt... that was a pain in the butt.

Oh yeah, those 2.73 pinions are HUGE! lmao

Couple of pics.

Dirty interior

Competition Engineering subframe connector

Ranger sun visor. They are a little bit wider than Mustang visors, but mount the same.

Back seat. All kinds of stuff was lurking beneath it. Coins, toy cars, crayons, etc.

Also raided the Ranger for outside door handles, dome light, and window cranks. :)

#21 ·
Today's progress.

Here's the part you don't find out about until you get the parts in hand. You have to chop the ends off your tubes for the c-clip eliminators to work correctly. Hardest part was getting the old wheel bearings out.

Tubes are welded and new upper bushings are installed.

#22 ·
Started setting up the diff this evening. I will be running a set of Motive 3.90 gears. Check out the size of a 2.73 pinion vs. a 3.90 pinion. That 2.73 is huge!

I measured the pinion head and added that to the checking depth parked on the pinion head and was nearly spot onto the Master Housing Dimension of 4.420".

So I pressed the bearing on with no shim and checked the pinion depth. Dang... right at 0.030" too deep. Should have just stuck the stock shim in the first time! I put the stock 0.030" shim in and it was spot on.

I am using a Ratech solid pinion spacer w/ shims instead of a crush sleeve. It took many tries to get the bearing preload just right. Basically you just put it together, torque the nut to 125lbs and then check how many inch pounds it takes to turn the pinion. If it turns too easy, reduce shim thickness by 0.002" and try again. I started way too thick. The spacer is 0.425" thick and I had 0.022" in shims and finally ended up with just a single 0.012" shim.

I plopped the diff in the housing and installed the stock side shims. It seems like the backlash is gonna be a little tight, but I have not torqued it down yet or checked the pattern on the gears. I will check it, but I really expect the pattern will be fine.

#23 ·
How do you like the quality of the motive gears? That is what I plan on running in mine same ratio even. I have never heard anything bad about them. The guy who sets up my rearends says that he always starts with the factory pinion shim and on the good quality sets it almost always ends up being the right one.

#24 ·
They seem very nice. I like the fact they have already been lapped in at the factory.

The pinion was a little snug fitting in the front bearing (by the yoke) and required a little tap from a rubber mallet to slide through, but I'd rather it be snug than sloppy.

#26 ·
Ok, so I traded the Ranger for a shotgun and the guy mentioned he had an 84 Mustang. I asked what color and he said red.... ORLY? ;D

So today I went out there checked it out and snagged the front and back seats out of it as well as the sun visors. I traded him the fuel cell and mounting rack that was in the Ranger. Then I told him I'd trade him the shotgun back for the hood, cowl vent panel and any other little odd or end I might end up needing.

WHOOOO HOOOOO!!!!

The fronts are cloth sport buckets with halo headrests and the rear is a cloth split bench. They are in pretty decent shape and should look just fine. My current ones are crispy crunchy vinyl that I was going to have to replace.

Diff is done except for the cover. Setting the backlash was not real fun, but it's in and it's right. Gear pattern looked fine too. I also installed the c-clip eliminators on the axles.

Tossed the passenger seat in just to see what it looked like. Being a tall guy, I kinda like the knee bolster things these seats have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.