460 Ford Forum banner

Dude...Where's My Car? I got a 460...

12K views 28 replies 6 participants last post by  talonhead 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, had a '93 Thunderbird SC that I bought for a buildup. It died of cancer. Took the supercharged V6 out as spare for wifes '93 (LS1 T56 transplanted in place of OEM M5R2 5 spd).
Now I have a pre-78 460 that needs to go to the machine shop.
Plans are:
Aluminum heads (need)
Bore +0.030
juggle pistons and cc to obtain 10-10.5 CR
Mild cam (need)
B&B rotating assy
convert to SEFI and EDIS 8 (have wiring harness' to modify, & various other parts req'd)
Still need a M/T flywheel, clutch,PP and another LS1 T56 6spd (Cuz I like it!)
Already have conversion bellhousing.
Have '04 Cobra SVT PBR calipers (still need 13" rotors)
Have new hubs/brgs to swap to 5x4.5" bolt patern
A lot of this stuff was going to go on the wifes car........But she likes it the way it is. She will get the '02 GT PBR's as they will work with original potors and 16" wheels. (The SVT's need 17-18" wheels to clear calipers)
Trying to get a guy at the bird site to make a tubular K member for the project. That way I can lower the engine ~2" or so.
But I still need a body to put it in.
Headed to VA (Hampton Roads in July for work, looking to do some shooting, hunting & junkyard scrounging while I am there!

See less See more
#3 ·
May have found a body. Someone was supposed to look at it tonight. If they don't take it, it may be a road trip this weekend to look/pick-up, it is a n/a v6 LX trim. Interior isn't bad and outside looks nice, but have to take a close look. Don't want another cancer victim.
Spent the morning pulling all the hoses and harness' out of the engine bay and disconnecting exhaust to pull motor/trans.
MikeH

#4 ·
I miss ym Supercoupe! It was pretty decently modded and was a BLAST to drive! wasn't anythign crazy, about 300RWHP or so on 15psi~ via a 94-95 blower with a total of 15% overdrive. I actually sold that car to do my 460/fox swap and to buy some stuff for ym '73 Mach One.

Good luck with your build! there is a guy on here Mustang93 selling a set of ProComp heads. He is an asshole but for the price he is asking, not a bad set of heads IMO.

#6 ·
Not parting engine..

Kid460...The SC 3.8 is going into my wife's SC. I am rebuilding the original to have a spare ready to go. However if you need some other bird parts, sheck out my list (for sale and trades) over at SCCOA.com (same screen name).
MikeH

#7 ·
Progress..

I found out thisa.m. the '93 LX went to junkyard....RATS!
However I got the motor and trans out of parts car. Trans was supposed to be a fairly recent Reman. It was very clean (outside and in bellhousing) converter also looked very clean, no leaks. (Older type AOD) Pan was push in a little. I think it went off-road cuz the under side was a little banged up.

Received a trigger wheel of a '94 SC from a fellow SC-er. I think it will work behind the 460 balancer fo crank trigger. Will have to have something machined up to mount it. Was looking at it while I was taking a break from setting up new HD psrts shelves. Could mount it to backside of balancer then have the whole thing nuetral bal'd. Or have a new spacer turned and mount the wheel to it. Have to talk to machinist.
Received wiring harness and some fuel inj parts also.
MikeH

#8 ·
Parts recommendation-460/LS1T56 combo

Ford 460 with LS1 T56 6 Speed transmission in an MN12 Thunderbird.
Recommendation from:

Billy Mieczkowski
Technical Sales/Purchasing

Mcleod Racing
1600 Sierra Madre Circle
Placentia, Ca 92870
billym@mcleodracing.com tel:714 630 2764 Ext 223

Disc is a 260173

P/P is a 360821 for a Diaphragm
or 360650 for a Long Style 3 Finger.
Modular Bellhousing is 8746-006 --for a 460 ford to LS1 T-56

MikeH

#9 ·
Not much getting done (on motor)...

However I've rebuilt the front of my garage. So nice to not have water come in every time it rains!
Have been collecting odds and ends for the motor conversion to EFI/EDIS8. Road trip pushed back and shortened:mad: was looking forward to the extra cash!
At least it's not going to kill the entire hunting season, 1 week until Bow season opens for deer!
MikeH

#10 ·
Crank Spacer for 36-1 trigger (OEM type)

Working some paper designs on a new crank spacer that I can mount my trigger wheel and not worry about clamp force (i.e. cutting an 1/8" out of the spacer) using an 1/8" disk to mount the wheel, or using a custom cut wheel.
The machinist that I use for making the stuff I can't does boat work. He should be able to cut it up nicely. Need to get a couple more pilot shaft bearing spacer sleeves for adapting ford pilot to gm pilot on the 3.8SC and the 460 for the LS1 T56 conversion while I'm have an order in.

Gonna try to fab a new crossmember (trans) for this conversion using a different design this weekend. The last design didn't have enough thought and simple geometry in it.
But....... if the weather is good, I'll blow it off on Sat. and go deer hunting!
Later guys,
MikeH

#11 ·
small progress....

So far deer bow season has sucked!
Talked to local machinist about crank trigger assy. He said no prob, he'd rather do that than the other crap that keeps coming in (Marine machine shop) also the V6 cam sensor adapter. just need to get the stuff over to him.
Getting the 220V subpanel and welder outlets reinstalled after garage repair. Put up three 8' floresent fixtures, WOW! I can see what is going on now! Picking up 4th unit next week. Puting in a work bench, and hanging cabinets above it.
With the welders operational, I can get the frame mods for the T56 in my SC done, then pull trans and old 3.8l block for trans/clutch setup.
I figure that would be a good time to trial fit the 460 in the engine bay for data for the other car. Once the clutch set-up is complete on the 3.8, I can pull the trans off and fit it to the 460 and trans adapter and test fit it, for more data. Then it will be time to put the running 3.8SC engine and the new 6spd in the 'Bird.
Slow progress is better than none (or) negative progress.
MikeH

#13 ·
Be careful my Dad has had the same issue three times. We think the problem is based on fuel leaking into the cylnders from the fuel injectors This is how it happens to him. the spark plugs are blown out after the truck is started and run a short time then shut off and started in less than an hour.

Try to find a good local Ford dealer they have been able to Heli coil the head and have it work.

Clay

#15 · (Edited)
As distinct as reading it yesterday, I saw an article in one of the rags when Ford was still selling the MN-12 T'Birds in that featured a yellow T'Bird built by a Ford engineer for drag racing. It used Fords new at the time 514 crate engine and aside from those juicy details, the one detail that stands out in my head was that the thing was a full body car, yes stripped for drag racing and using a solid 9" Ford rear end instead of the ultra heavy IRS, that weighed between 2700 and 2800 lbs!

I always eyed those things for that reason.

Heres a link to the car: http://www.tccoa.com/events/wfc/tymensky/index.shtml

After looking at the gallery, there's some big money spent on lightening that thing. It has composite doors. Nice ones.

#17 ·
Between the T56 swap into the 'Bird and prepping my '99 SD with a 5th wheel setup to go pick up a trailer, my BBF has been collecting more dust and grit.
Threatened the Wife unit with building the 460 and swapping it into the SD!
Blew out a spark plug last winter-$650 to get it fixed. Now some little egr pressure sensor is popping the MIL intermittantly and the front brakes need to be done. It never ends.

How-ever, I just received the aluminum billets I needed to have some parts for the build made. One to adapt a V6 cam syncro to go in place of the old dizzy. And the other gets to be made into an adapter/mount for a crank trigger wheel. This is part of the EEC-IV/SEFI retro fit for the 460. I want to eventually put it in a 1989-93 T-bird. I have the bell-adapter for a T56 already. A new SN-197 T56 Magnum is due out next year as a swap kit for 2005+ stangs w/ OHC engines to replace the Getrags. Supposed to be rated for 700ft#. Other than the pilot being a ford dia. It will still be a grand Pita for pushrod engine adaption. (I had to have some pieces made for my 3.8l SC engine).
Finish up the bird this winter. Pick up the trailer and drive around a bit in the spring. Come home and rearrange the garage to start the next project.

Merry christmas/Happy new year to all.
MikeH

#18 ·
Well, winter and spring have come and gone. Got nothing done except take 2 weeks off and went to MT to pick up trailer. Did some camping, see some friends and relatives and came home.
Had some $$ left over from trip, thinking about where to start with my 460....Take the block in and get it cleaned and evaluated to determine what condition it is in. Or start with the crank?
If the block and crank turn out to be fine and need minor spiffing, I'll take the rod assy's in and have them checked. If all is well then I will know what size bearing/inserts I need and can start assembly.
The biggest outlay that I'm looking at will be a set of aluminum heads. Still haven't decided. As this engine will not be a race engine, I am trying to come up with a solid low to mid RPM build.
The FRP A460 SCJ's look like they would not be a good match for my use due to loss of intake charge velocity at low RPM. However, they are one of the most inexpensive out there. ???
My engine came with an Edelbrock Performer 460 2 plane intake. It's RPM range works with my build stratigy, so I will keep it. So, it looks like I need to find a set of heads that will compliment it.
I would like to bump up the CR a bit. It looks like it hase oem lc dish pistons and the heads are DV03's, so I may have to change pistons anyway.
I was looking at the Lunati Voodoo cams 61600LK, 61601LK (both compatible with 'Chipped" EFI system, or the 06166LK which is an EFI Performance cam. The reason for this is I am looking to retro-fit with an EEC IV SEFI System with a Moates QuarterHorse 'Piggyback' chip and EDIS 8 ignition.
Most likely I will initially start it off with a point style ignition and carb. I still have to find/modify an appropriate intake for Injectors.
If I get it ready to run before I can get another body for transplant, I may pull the SC V6 out of the wifes 'Bird and see how it works. Will have to put a LP fuel reg in it to be sure if running a carb:)
Anyway, more serious about getting into it now, and more time off as it is slow at work. Still need a flywheel, pressure plate and clutch to finish the hook up.
MikeH

#19 ·
Well, ran a tank of gas through the mower and said 'F' it, got a suds and went into the garage where it was cool. Pulled the 460 out to the edge of the shelf and tilted it against the wall so I could get at the crank hub. Scrubbed out the hub with a "greenie" , grabbed one of the bushing inserts that I had made for the V6 when I swapped the M5R2 5spd for the T56 6spd and checked the fit. The hub is stepped. There is a larger I.D., I presume this is for a converter hub, and a smaller I.D. about .5" deep just before the bottom. This smaller I.D. fits the insert.
I will have to set up the bellhousing on the trans and test mount to engine to check pilot depth. If the shaft is too long, a spacer ring will be required (the V6 needed a 0.5" ring spacer). Of course if I need the extra length for shifter position, could have a stepped O.D. insert that moves the pilot bearing nearer the edge of hub. Guess I need to clear out some junk to make room to maueuver the hoist to put this together.
MikeH

#20 ·
Went and picked up some socket head screws for the bellhousing. Hitched up the bell/tranny assy to the engine, not a bad fit at all. with the 0.5" spacer ring the input goes into the crank almost to the splined portion (maybe 1/8 or 3/16"). Looks like a large dia bushing for the pilot bearing, or take out the ring spacer and set it deeper. Now to get it into the engine bay for fitting. Front to rear and left to right offsets. Front to rear will be a combination of: engine to firewall and shifter position. Left to right will be more to the right for steering clearance.
Exhaust will start off with stock cast iron maybe progress to some sort of tube header or sheet metal manifold. The Hooker Fox swap are a little too rich for my wallet right now. Besides, still looking for the right set of alum. heads at a price I could pull the trigger on.
MikeH

#21 ·
Work continues.....

Went through a short tank of 75/25 He/Ar gas and 1/2 # of alum. wire welding up the runner ends on the old Performer intake getting ready to drill for injectors.
Dropped off the drawings and material at the machine shop to have an adapter to convert from distributer to cam sync.
Still haven't figured out throttle body/MAF configuration yet.
Trans swap is ready to go into the car whenever the engine is.
MikeH

#22 ·
Picked up a new balancer and 2 spacers, a bunch of hose and fittings to start fuel rail in/out and an injector socket drill bit. Trying to nail down heads and piston combo. Working with my tuner to start filling in the data holes to start working on a tune. Also working out fuel supply.....what can stay and what I need to get to support this engine.
MikeH

#24 ·
Not much change:( work and life has messed up progress something terrible.)
Messed up my shoulder last year and this year while doing my CPR re-cert I messed up my wrist. Turns put a ganglion cyst, severe tendonitis, and some torn muscle. It sucks getting old!

#25 ·
Smog stopped me .

I was 90 sc 460 on TCCOA . I put a 460 in my Super Coupe and it drove and handled great . But DMV came down on me for the swap even thou it ran cleaner . I used elephant ears to mount the motor and keep the stock hood . And the 3.55 gears made that light car fly . I'm a road racer and I loved the way it drove . Don't get rid of the IRS .

#26 ·
Still have a brace on my wrist. Trying to get away without surgery.
Decided to wait on finishing the Efi conversion on the intake until I find out if it will be used (depends on if heads are std or CJ's). Have been working on slow disassembly of parts car. About ready to cut the IRS loose from the body, also the moonroof assembly. Pull the glass then cut up the rest. Really need a barn or bigger garage to work in.
I thought that parts prices had gone up until I got a quote to have a shop rebuild my engine! Machine work in my area is sky high!
If I wasn't paying on a new truck, I'd take a short term loan to ease the pain and get a crate engine.

Well HAPPY NEW YEAR!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.