Project 532 Gydyup - 460 Ford Forum
Car Buildup Forum A place to detail your car build and chronicle your progress as you put together your BBF powered vehicle.

User Tag List

38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 297 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Garage
Project 532 Gydyup

I finally got around to modifying my trans cross member to accept the BB and toploader combo, copied the 429 Boss picture a bud sent me. The repro part was 900, I built this for $4.00.

Once the engine and tranny were sitting on their mounts, I went ahead and mocked up the headers. They went on so much easier than the Windsor Hooker big tubes I had. With the towers notched, I have plenty of room to get to the bolts and plugs, also have plenty of room for either mechanical clutch or hyd.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 297 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Send a message via AIM to crittersf1 Send a message via MSN to crittersf1 Send a message via Yahoo to crittersf1
Whose headers are those in the pics?

If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space!
post #3 of 297 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 01:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Valve Covers

I really wanted to use the Ford motor sport valve covers but thought they would be too tall. Looks like yours fit fine. I used some chrome Edelebrocks but yours look way better and leave tons of room for roller rockers. Looking at the crossmember under the engine oil pan it appears that your engine isn't sitting down any futher than mine. Crites motor mounts?? I may have to break out the cheque book

Looking good, keep the pics coming!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0015.jpg (98.2 KB, 171 views)

1967 Mustang
521 / C6 / 9"

post #4 of 297 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
They are Crites, the older ones though so it sits up higher. I actually had tried Fab valve covers but they were gigantic, so I wound up with these.
GREAT deal, still a pair on Race Junk for 140 bucks, brand new.
The headers I got from BlownMach down in Texas, also the mounts too.

Thanks, this is fun. I am really surprised and pleased that this is actually easier to work on than the SB with the big tubes.
post #5 of 297 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 06:39 AM

Those valve covers going to hit the master cyl?

557ci 70 Maverick, 8.76@153 1.25 60ft.... So far....
post #6 of 297 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Shouldnt, I have tons of room, these are pretty common on other 460 swaps as well.
They are the regular FMS cast covers, only diff is the chrome finish. A steal at 140 brand new for a 385 buck set of covers, Race Junk, one set left.
post #7 of 297 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 09:44 PM

Rad and Fan

It may be just me but it looks like your motor mounts also put the engine further ahead? What's your plan for rad and fan. It might be fairly tight.

1967 Mustang
521 / C6 / 9"
post #8 of 297 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
yes, the eng is almost an inch fwd from the small block locations, reason I had to modify the mounts.
I have done the measurements with the rad (Griffin 4 row) and timing over, I had quite a bit of inches remaining (cant recall) but I am going with Mesier electric and electric fans. If need be I can use pushers. But I think it will clear, whats a BBF mech water pump occupy for real estate, if I had that number I could do the math. Only thing I have is the SBF pumps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 460fastback View Post
It may be just me but it looks like your motor mounts also put the engine further ahead? What's your plan for rad and fan. It might be fairly tight.
post #9 of 297 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

5 5/8" to the face of the flange without the backing plate. The shaft probably sticks out another 3/4" or so.

1973 Mustang Convertible
460 D0VE-C Heads w/CJ size valves, Lunati voodoo 227/233 cam, Edelbrock performer rpm manifold, FPA headers, Holley 950 HP carb, C6 w/2500 stall converter, 3.50 trac lock
post #10 of 297 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Tommy, I using the 5 3/8 and 3/4 plus 2 1/4 for the timing cover, gives me 8 5/8s of pump/timeing cover - measuring frm block face at the cam and crank I have 9 1/2 top and 9 1/4 at the bottom. Leaves me a bit of room, using pusher electrics I can run a mech pump or a smaller electric.

Also, I could still modify the new Rad support I just put in (not really wanting to do that) and buy an extra 2 1/4 inches buy cutting out the stock mounting tabs. Its going to be a bit tight but good. Thanks for the numbers, interesting the SBF time cover and pump takes up more room than the BB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyK View Post
5 5/8" to the face of the flange without the backing plate. The shaft probably sticks out another 3/4" or so.
post #11 of 297 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 08:26 PM

Pusher Fan

I'll be following your build to see how the pusher fan works out. I went for a straight mechanical and its tight and probably robs HP that could be better be used to reduce ET's.

1967 Mustang
521 / C6 / 9"
post #12 of 297 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 02:27 PM

Looks like you've made good progress since we last chatted. This set of valves covers looks to fit the engine bay a lot nicer than the Canton's you had on it before.

Rod
post #13 of 297 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hotrod, waas up! Yes, its getting there, the VCs were a steal - I love a bargain.
now I just have to build this beast. Come by sometime, check it out.
Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbogger View Post
Looks like you've made good progress since we last chatted. This set of valves covers looks to fit the engine bay a lot nicer than the Canton's you had on it before.

Rod
post #14 of 297 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gydyup View Post
Hotrod, waas up! Yes, its getting there, the VCs were a steal - I love a bargain.
now I just have to build this beast. Come by sometime, check it out.
Chris
Hopefully I can get over there and check it out. Right now I'm getting ready for a race next weekend. Work that I put off this winter and now the season is already here.
post #15 of 297 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
While waiting for Crites to fab up a bunch of frame mounts, so I can finish the eng/trans mock up, I figured I would press forward with the body work. Now that I have new front aprons, rad support and crossmembers up front, the repairs left to tackle are de rusting the drip rails, re skinning the doors, and fixing what I call the $5,000 dent in the passenger door and rocker. If your not a follower of my thread, which now I call Project Gydyup 532 – on the test drive for this coupe , the owner wouldn’t let me drive the car, as it may get away from me. So he promptly gooned up second gear (I think he put it in park) and into a ditch we went. Short story, got the car with some parts bartering for $3K vice the negotiated $7K.

When I started messing with the rocker, thinking Iwould just cut out the offending dent, I found some bondo, followed it back, found a lot more. Finally figuring that the test drive wreck crushed the only good or part of the rocker. The rear of it and the quarter apron in front of the rear wheel had at some point taken a hit. It had been drilled and pulled, bonded. A lot. It was a nice repair for 1980s standards , but I couldn’t see pulling and repairing an already pulled and bonded area. So I cropped it all out.

I have the replacement panels for the quarter cut and flanged ready to go back in, getting ready to go out and cut the new rocker skin to fit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.