Got home again. Noticed that in the summer heat the car doesn't want to start when hot. It'll crank over, but won't fire for long and by the time I get it running the battery is pretty much dead. I've had similar problems with my 390, specifically fuel boiling over and flooding the engine.
I really wanted to get an Edelbrock RPM air gap, they look super cool and I don't really need the first 1500rpms anyhow. I'm currently running a Edelbrock performer. The main issue I have, is hood clearance. As is I already have a drop filter base, and have about 3/4 inch gap between the hood and air filter. I'd have to buy a 2inch filter to make it work and it'd still be tight.
I waffled on this for a day and decided I'm a cheap bastid and will just work with what I have for the time.
The plan (which has worked for me with other vehicles) is to block off the exhaust crossover as it is the majority of the heat soak problems.
I'd planned to do that, and that only, until I pulled the intake. Spent a good bit of time cleaning the intake as it was fairly gas stained. Also regasketed the carb (750cfm AEM dbl pumper)
Engine looked nice and clean inside still.
Built my block off plates, get them set in and epoxied over them. I've done this before, it hold up to the heat no problem. Also I do not feel I'm destroying the value of the intake as 30 minutes with a die grinder can restore it to stock values.
Well.... I figured a performer would have smaller ports, but was surprised at the mismatch, and just how much smaller. The Performer also has like a lip of casting flash right on the edge of the port. I'm not expert but it seems this would make the air somewhat turbulent right before the port, so I removed it.
Took 45 minute with the die grinder and some sand rolls. Didn't really change the port much, just got it a lil closer to where I thought it should be. The intake is still a tiny bit smaller than the DOVE heads, but not much. My experience with other engines points to the fact that most airflow is on the top and upper sides of the port so I mostly worked on it and left the bottom of the ports as they were. I did not wish to effect the air velocity, was mostly wanting a smoother transition from one port to another.
Got her all glued up: