The weather here is looking good for Saturday/Sunday.... and this is last weekend for our local track. I have been buttoning things up left and right to make it. As it stands... I'm going to cut hood to fit tomorrow and wash car down and clean out trailer. Then I'm going back to working on it. I opened up a dist cap so I can try phasing the dizzy. I hooked up the "timing adjust box" along side of the "timing boost box"/ I am using the adjust box right now. I also have to adjust the timing and valve lash. I keep getting coolant leaks so I am going to pressurize it in the morning and try and find and seal any leaks. I ran it today with pressure gauge on it and it went up to about 15 lbs at close to 200 degrees. I have a new overflow tank to install tomorrow too.
As for rest of car. Everything I have done since I got it was to make it stronger/better in some way. The weak link, in my opinion, will be the P/G. It's had "stuff" done to it and has a pro-tree trans brake in it. B&M Pro Bandit Shifter w/electric shift solenoid controlled with electronic rpm switch box. Line lock on front brakes. I just installed a new torque converter at beginning of summer, (4,500 stall), that was the recommendation from Competition Converters. Besides what you know about engine and P/G, torque converter and RW flex plate. I just had a heavy duty driveshaft made for it when I did converter. The chassis shop cut out all the 4 link brackets and went heavier and boxed. coil overs on rear. Upper tube a-arms on front. Then they put it on the scales and set it up to launch right. Weight ratio was 51.2% front and 48.8% on rear. Car weighs 3,400 lbs with me (200 lbs) in it. I went with Wilwood discs on all 4 corners, 9"ford rear with Richmond 4:86 gears. Strange spool and Strange axles. Had a problem where I sheered all the studs on left because they were not big enough. Strange told me I had their strongest axles, if I wanted they could drill them for bigger studs. I told them no, send me a new set and I would hang onto the others for spares. 15x15x33 MT slicks. New this year. I have another new set also as back ups. You have seen the chassis.... full tube with double dragster roll cages. Had two junkyard cloth seats, removed and installed one Kirkley alum. Obviously new belts and window net.
Like I said... this whole conversion started because car sounded great, smoked tires great, but launched like a dog. Best time was a fluke of 12sec flat. That was on about 5th pass the car ever made. Then I got stuck in a rut of high 13's. Had a lot of carb problems, etc.... All the good guys out here at local track have been helpful and understanding.... gotta work out the bugs on a car never run before. But they ALL feel the car is good for under 10's. I'M the one that wants tens. And their consensus is the same as on here. They felt cam was big issue. They have been asking where I have been. Well...... they will see me Saturday. Even if car isn't completely ready I am going to take it out, hang out at the track with my friends, work with it, cook out and have a few suds and hopefully get some T&T passes in!!!!
Was thinking... With this all being SOOO much different, I wonder if I should put the wheelie bars back on. Or at least take them along "just in case", lol. WOULD LOVE TO PULL A 2-3 FOOT WHEELIE WITH A 9 SEC PASS AND GET KICKED OFF TRACK!!!!!!!!! Just ONCE I would like to be told to slow it down or load it up! hahaha
Will let you all know how it goes...... good OR bad! Then I have all winter to pull it and freshen it up, maybe small stroke job..... who knows.
Have a good weekend everyone!!!!!!