460 Ford Forum banner

My 460 Torino conversion

46K views 233 replies 19 participants last post by  MrScharfenberger 
#1 · (Edited)
This post has been deleted
#4 ·
I was just checking back in to see the progress. Having the induction setup sit a little lower will probably be best. Got any pic's of a side profile view of the car before you tore into it? I'd like to check it out. Up even with the top of the roof sounds like it was a bit big. What you are doing should be an improvement.

Below is a link to my build thread in this same section. It is a bit of a project but I've been working on it slowly but surely.

http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157117

#11 ·
Well, it's finally going back together!!! So far so good. I had to run to Summit a few more times. Needed a bit longer pushrods and had to go to up to a 3/8 dia to keep rockers centered. I swapped the timing set I just bought for a Cloyes adjustable (at the cam) set. I ran into a little trouble swapping rear springs on heads due to clearance for the tool so I had to get creative. Then I ran into a problem with the rocker studs being too short on the top side and a hair too long in the head. The guide plates were not tight. So those got swapped out too. I also picked up a little something something to help keep the 8-71 blower temps down. You will see it in the pics along with some more notes. Tomorrow I finish valve train and degree the cam in. Then it's all down hill from their right? lol

I think I mentioned that the Hampton intake and blower sat back too far. If I mounted the intake backwards it could work except all the holes for the blower are gone. I was going to do some research for adapter plates to turn a blower around on an intake but am running out of time and patience, WhiteLightning said he might do some looking to see what he can find just as long as I repay his kindness in the way of my extra blower :) how can you say no to a nice guy like that! Plus he has also been very helpful with his knowledge and suggestions. For that I am truly thankful. And the same goes to all the others who have offered up their time, knowledge and input!!! Thank You!!!
LOLOLOLOLOLOL. I keep tryin' to tell everyone that I'm such a nice guy that they should give me presents.........but so far it hasn't worked! lol
Rob

#31 ·
So far I only test and tune. The boost will be 75-100hp max.

I run nos in my Cobra, 427FE but not much because it really isn't needed either.

All they can do is tell me no and to pull the bottle and the lines will just look pretty. But on Super Nationals weekend it's pretty much a free for all up here.

Also, because the bottom end IS still a 2bolt, something that will be remedied over the winter, and the rods are ford hi po rods with ARP bolts and mains are ARP studs...... I was thinking with the extra blower pulleys and can keep it under driven so the boost still stays at the 5-7 lb range with just a light shot at the end to see how much it actually cools it down. I have o2 sensors but I'm running 2 pyrometers to watch the temp. I prefer pyrometers over o2s when it come to heat. but the combination of the two will let me know if I'm leaning out at the end and how hot I'm running.

But it's easier to put the plate on now than after it's all set up, lol. Like I said... all they can do is say no. lol......

When it's time to actually try and race someone without looking silly going so slow.... then I will get my rule book back out and read up on what I can do. Till then it's just experimenting :D
The small shot of N20, 100HP or so should intercool it nicely. I had fogger jets in two plates under 750DP's, but never got a chance to try them before the motor came out. I had 1 analog pyrometer, and it was a little slow, so I tuned to be well under 1,800F, just to be safe, it was not a track car, just a cruiser. If I was really serious about Tunning a blower with Nitrious, I would have invested in a EGT guage with a recorder, like the guys use on the

Grand Nationals and such. I would not trust a O2 sensor either. Less timing and more fuel, and work your way to the middle slowly, and it should be OK.Very nice Looking Ride by the way.

#18 ·
Nitrous is addictive :D....I had it on my old Cleveland and I miss the switch. Playing with the idea of putting it on top of the 552, but I need to run it in the 1/4 and see what it does. If it's close to a point, like say I run 11.1s in the quarter, I'll give it a little taste to get in the 10's.....

Looking better and better, sir. Get that beast done.

Lucas

#20 ·
That sounds like a TON of fun!

I have a Big Shot plate system for mine. I'll put it on eventually after I get used to the car itself. Keep it up!! You are almost there.

...it must be nice to have Summit so close. I have family up in Cleveland and I stopped at the Talmadge Summit on the way back in June. I've been to the one south of Atlanta too many times to count. I wish they were right down the street from me!! I could spend a day in that place just checking out all of the unboxed on the shelf parts. I love that place!

#26 · (Edited)

While degree-ing cam I was running into a "clicking" coming from the lifter/rocker areas. Nothing regular. The noise would move around or not even click at all for several rotations. Very frustrating. Long story short, the new rocker geometry was off from the rockers I had and the pushrods would click when going from full closed to opening position. Note the gold (new rocker) in pic of degree-ing and silver (rockers I already had) in the later photo....

So I am going back together now. The next pic shows just how close the Hampton blower was to fitting on the Hampton intake. Look at the rear blower mount holes to the intake stud holes....

One last note... look at the casted build date on the bottom of the blower I removed......

5/22/67.............. Now that's a classic!!! And still builds great boost!!!

So now I'm off to the trailer to get back to work. It's coming along but a little slower than I would have liked.

You all have a good one and I'll be back!!!

#27 ·
Ok, intake on and cooling system buttoned up. Hit Summit today for a new dizzy, wires and LOTS of fittings to do plumbing. Also got the twin NO2 tank holder today.

Will get distributor in and blower on tomorrow. Mounting the injection hat/nitrous plate combo will be a little trickier due to all the nos lines crossing where the injection lines go.

Then it's mounting the fuel pump, filter, surge tank, primer and running all the lines :eek: ....... SIMPLE! :confused:
Coming along. Getting anxious and a little scared..... Running blower was new to me.... now tuning the injection will be new to me. Still have to mount 2 short pipes on headers to run evac hoses too and to mount the pyrometers and the O2 sensor. Those WERE mounted in the custom exhaust pipes that I removed for testing. Would like to mount them back on if everything works out and I know they won't create a back pressure problem.

Will update soon with more photos........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.