460 Ford Forum banner

1978 F250 Ranger Build Suggestions

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  flowney 
#1 ·
Howdy gang. I'm new here and looking to plumb the depths of this vast pool of knowledge for my son's new build.

A little background; we just lost my father in law in March of this year, and my son has inherited his his farm pickup (the same one my wife drove in HS). It's a 1978 Ford F250 Ranger, std cab, long bed, with a 460 (I believe; need to confirm this when we pick it up).

Like I said, it's been a farm truck since 1978, so it's going to need some cleaning and building. Open to any ideas people may have. Here are the particulars:

1. Intended use: Daily driver for teenager. Will likely be used for some light towing/overlanding/camping/hunting duties.

2. Vehicle info (weight/gearing/trans): Unsure/unsure/automatic

3. Fuel desired to use ( racing gas/av gas/E-85/methonal/pumpgas (include octane available)): Probably gas, It has (I believe) a 460. A diesel is not out of the question as I am friends with a diesel shop owner. But I think I'd like to keep the original 460 if possible. We have 85 octane as standard here. We're in Colorado, at 7,000 feet, so I think the carb setup might be an issue, necessitating a move to fuel injection, but I'm open to discuss.

4. Parts you already have: Just the pickup itself.

5. Proposed Budget: Would like to keep it under $7,000, but might go as high as $10,000

6. Location this may help to find a good machine shop: Colorado Springs, CO

Thanks in advance for any help/ideas/input. Like I said, HUGE emotional connection for my family with this one, so I may even entertain full frame-off rest, or rest-mod approach. Not sure where to start, though, as the last rest job I did was my 1968 Firebird in high school. I need help from the masters on this one. Thanks!

Cheers,
Jason

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.