55 Wagon - 460 Ford Forum
Car Buildup Forum A place to detail your car build and chronicle your progress as you put together your BBF powered vehicle.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

55 Wagon

My wife is a first grade teacher. Her daily driver is a 73 Mach 1-460.
https://goo.gl/photos/czW9sjsATkZQkD916

For times when she needs a bigger car we have a 76 Montego wagon-460. The thing with the 55 wagon all started about a decade ago when CA - Sierra Club and Schwarzenegger - decided they would SMOG check my 76 Montego wagon forever. So we decided to get something sufficiently grandfathered.

Except that building it never got to the top of the list. But then we did the 2014 Mustang 50Th anniversary Pony drive and the 2015 an 2016 Power Tours in a 65 Mustang convertible, and decided we needed a classic with more space. So the 55 went into work.

There was not much of a plan when we started dissembling it. But as we looked at each part we removed, and considered whether to referb or replace, we ended keeping only the bare frame, the control arms - referbed, and the sheet metal.

The engine also evolved, a lot. At the start I was going to rebuild an early 70s 460 I have. But every time I considered buying or referbing a part there was a better part available, and the thing just snow balled. I now have an essentially complete engine and the only used parts in it are the bolts holding the cam gear and retainer.

I have a 7.3L IDI diesel in a 9K# 84 van. I added a turbo, and it made such an improvement that I think everything should have one. And I have a pair of T3/T4 turbos sitting on the shelf. The overall car is intended to be docile around town, not need to get towed if one rear wheel gets off in our desert sand, or occasional snow, but not slow down pulling a trailer at 11.5K ft. A turbo can give an engine a multiple personality; low compression and mild cam, but the effect of high compression and large cam when demanded.

Pics are here;
https://goo.gl/photos/aF9XY5czAW6ZAuqG8

Can someone confirm they see the same thing I do? When I click that link I get a matrix of pictures three across with no text. If I click any pic that pic opens and there is a place for info on the right side bar. And there are arrows on either side of the pic to scroll to the next or previous pic. The arrows don't show unless you get the cursor close to the edge of a pic. I have only captioned some of the pics.

Last edited by RayDav; 03-20-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 126 Post(s)

The picture link is working for me! I love this build. Please keep us updated with progress. I can't wait to see (and hear) the video of it running.

Send Questions To: Chris@MrScharfenberger.com
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Simply badass, long roofs rule!!!

80 Fairmont wagon, 528, Blue Thunder heads on E-85. Just a brutal street car

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Life has really gotten in the way of putting this thing together. But I have something of a milestone. The real engine, transmission and differential are in the chassis. I will build the trans mount, align the pinion angle, and order the driveshaft after the suspension is loaded.
https://goo.gl/photos/aF9XY5czAW6ZAuqG8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.