460 Ford Forum banner

Axle Shaft Replacement

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Ozzie H. 
#1 · (Edited)
76 Linc Mk 4. Replacing axle shaft. Do I need this part in hand in order to know what it's replacement is? I know certain years of cars and trucks are compatible but I'm being told I need to know something specific about the axle shaft that is currently in the car. Also, will the broken axle actually be in 2 pieces and is there some special trick to getting the innermost piece out?

#3 ·
Got a few local Ford folks agreeing with you about where they typically break and about reasonable ease to get everything out. I just ordered Moser alloy replacements and a set of 3.50's. Quite curious and anxious to see how this big cruiser responds. I did not make alignment marks on driveshaft mounting flange for putting it back in same position. Does this create any concerns?

#4 ·
I don't have such a vehicle so I hesitate to give advice; but I didn't know that the drive shaft had to be removed to replace the axle. The biggest problems I can remember is with 2 piece driveshafts that aren't put back correctly after doing U-joint jobs. Follow the shop manual and you should do well. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.