460 Ford Forum banner

getting truck out of cobwebs

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  manderson17 
#1 ·
ok been along time since on here and doing anything with truck, so back for some help. what I've got is f150 swapped in 460 and installed hei dizzy. can get it to start and run for maybe a minute then dies. it has to sit for awhile then will fire up and run for maybe another minute then repeat process. I'm new at this and its been a very slow progress so can someone give me an idea on where I should start to at least get it to idle long enough to try and check timing. it has a holley 750 for carb and right now wide open maddog headers. if you need more info let me know but hoping to at least be able to get it moving soon. thanks in advance for any help.

#2 ·
Are you running it off the fuel tank in the truck? If the truck has been sitting, the fuel is probably junk and the fuel filter. Have you tried keeping it running pouring a little fuel in the carb when it wants to die? You can also run it off a gas can under the hood. Have you checked the float level on the Holley? Float may have a pin hole. If you think it is electrical, the GM HEI ignition module may be failing once it warms up a little. There are plenty of write ups on testing them on the internet. Try to determine if you think it is electrical or fuel. Do you have spark after it dies? Pull one of the plug wires and put a spark plug in the wire and lay it on a good ground (like exhaust manifold or engine). Have someone turn the engine over and look for a nice blue spark. Let us know what you find out to see if we can point you in the right direction.

#5 ·
first off sorry taking so long had sick family members to tend to. found some loose electrical connections in ignition system. tightened them up and seems to be doing better. I'm sure carb needs a little attention and timing needs to be checked. for you that are running the hei system where are you setting yours at? mine is mainly stock motor just intake carb and maddogs on it for now. thanks again for help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.