460 Ford Forum banner

Traction bars: which style?

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  lonco 
#1 ·
Trying to decide which style of traction bars to build for my pulling truck. The triangular with a shackle or the straight bars up to frame. I know the shackle ones allow more articulation, but I'm not really concerned about that. I just want to prevent axlewrap.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Pulling truck? you don't need a lot of suspension travel, so no need for the front shackle. The traditional longer truck style ladder bars like in the top pic will be less prone to warping over the lower single bar pic. Are you allowed to run suspension limiters to block the rear from compressing? The only issue if not would be binding in the suspension as ladder bars move the axle up/down where leaf springs move in a fore/aft arc as it compresses/droops.

#4 ·
Well, I went with the single bars. Seems like a lot of pullers in the area have these.

Attachments

#5 ·
Do you have a pic from the side? I'd like to see how long they are and how you mounted them as I'm doing something similar. Do you also drive this truck or is it just a puller? Curious about how much it restricts the suspension in just normal driving, such as pulling in and out of driveways and whatever

#6 ·
Mine turned out shorter than I wanted cause i used holes already in the frame. I think typically for a long bed you want 4-5 feet. This pic might help, but hard to see. And color looks weird cause of sunlight, they match truck color. Oh, and no street yet.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.