460 Ford Forum banner

460 vs 351, i need convencing

49K views 34 replies 19 participants last post by  69mach428SCJ 
#1 ·
Ive been a mustang fan for a long time. I had one along time ago but i sold it and now im trying to get back in the mustang world, but its hard to do. I have kids now and a farm to keep me busy, plus not to metion on a tight budget. Ive been selling parts from the local junk yard to have extra money, this is where my mustang money will come from i suppose, but any way enough with that now down to business.
I want a mustang that i can cruise with on the weekends if possible well not every weekend, and hit the drag strip once or twice a year. Here in somerset ky we have a big car show on the 3rd sat of every month, during the summer months and it attracks a lot of cars. When the car show is over they cruise the streets which would be fun.

Heres the dilema I cant make my mind up between a 351w and 460 to build. I know theres no replacement for displacement but theres no replacing the money ethier once its gone toward something.

Does the initial swap cost alot to do.(headers, mounts, crossmember etc)
How is drivabilty with the big block i hear its bad for over steer. I already have a set of dove-c heads, but i wonder what it would cost to port n polish these bad boys or would it be cheaper to buy aluminum heads. The small blocks have way more parts avaible than big block i think. What kind a tranny do most of you run, does any one run a 4 or 5 speed behind the 460beast. Just tell me your thoughts please and all help and guidence is greatly apprecitated.

Oh yea i read where some of you are going to the world finals in oct 2-5 in BG KY, i plan on going as well ive been to a few of them and they are awsome

See less See more
#3 ·
This should be in Gen Tech or Chilly's garage. You will get more responses there. You could do a fairly stock rebuild with a cam swap on the cheap and that motor would live forever and make you smile each time you hit the loud pedal. :D It would cost just as much to do the 351 and make a lot more power IMO.

#5 ·
351w vs 460

Here is my opinion and if I say so my self I am "very" qualified to answer you !!!! seeing as I own both

I love my little 351w but compared to the 460 no contest but it does really come down to what you are doing with it
the 351 is cheaper to run revs quicker and higher and is easyer to work on in a car

the 460 makes more Hp and tq dont have to rev it to make Hp and sounds better

just MO

Steve

G
#6 ·
this is my frist BBf build..;.however i just traded the stang off and got this falcon witbh a 460 in it..my stang had a 347 in it..solid roller nice heads ..street driven..it ran 11.40's and was getting faster each time out as i was getting it dialed in..i shifted it at 6500 and crossed the line at 7000..thanks to 4.56 gears..but it had 4340 crank and h-beam rods with srp pistons ..nice stuff..now this BBF i have..all stock but the solid roller and intake ..the big motor guys say go big..at this point I'm undecided ..lol..that 347 was a bad little bitch that kicked some big block ***, but it cost me a lot $$$ to build it like that..from what i heard , the 460 motors will run just as fast with less motor and use stock parts..there is just something about a skinny block ford, but if i had the same amount $$ in a 460 it would have been faster ..i guess

#7 ·
Its a hard decision for me to make

Im just concerned how well a fox mustang handles on the street with a big beast in it, can it corner or not, i want a mild buildup that i can drive it on the street and car shows, and of course throw a 150-200 shot a N20 at it. has anybody put a manual behind there 460mutang that you know of.

#8 ·
Re: Its a hard decision for me to make

79stang93 said:
Im just concerned how well a fox mustang handles on the street with a big beast in it, can it corner or not, i want a mild buildup that i can drive it on the street and car shows, and of course throw a 150-200 shot a N20 at it. has anybody put a manual behind there 460mutang that you know of.
These can all work and I'm sure there's other options too.
4 spd-Toploader
5 spd-TKO 500/600, G-Force T-5
6 spd-Built T-56

#9 ·
You're worried about understeer then contemplate using cast iron heads - you should be ashamed of yourself. :shock:

Tell me what 351W or any car with big tires on the back and narrow tires on the front handles well on the street.

I'll take this customer's big block 514" Cobra kit car, (it has a Tremec 5 speed and 1st gear is about useless), and drive rings around that 351W Mustang - the engine will make little difference about "nimbleness" - it's about the car; (and how it's set-up).

#10 ·
yes im aware of the set up

set it back and drop it down is the way to go, i understand that, and there other ways a person can save weight also. im not going to race mountains or anything like that, a person, i just want a good drivable car that can go to car shows and kick a little chevy butt while im cruising in town,
I like to have 500hp n/a and have a little juice on tap, i dont think that would be to bad.

#11 ·
A fairly docile, stock type short block, hydraulic lifter cammed 466 can make that 500 horsepower easily.

There are several good builds in this section.

#14 ·
98aggie said:
You could use a aftermarket windsor block and make a 461ci or 480ci windsor motor. Cost will be close to the same as the BB460.

can I get some that weed you been smokin? Hell the block for a 481 small block is like high dollar 460 hands down

Randy

#17 ·
Yes he does have those parts and they are definately saleable parts, to recoup some of the investment towards the BB parts. A C6 is cheap and easy to swap and building 500hp N/A in a BB is much cheaper because a performance block isn't necessary. $2000 plus for an aftermarket hipo s/b block is a steep investment and would be required. I understand your thinking, but you have to realize that parts can be sold also. 8)

#20 ·
im going big block all the way

Im going big block 460 -.30 over,
stock crank
maybe better rods though,
really good pistons 9.8 -- 10.1
mild cam maybe slightly wild
I already have dove-c heads that im going to port and polish myself
im goiing to use 150-200 shot of juice
im looking for a fox body between 79-93 style
this will be street car and a few sat drags strips.
I would like to have 500hp n/a which shouldnt be hard to do i think.
trans im still thinking about
Whats the position of the bbf in some of your alls fox mustangs like is it set back any, higher or lower, can you give me some feedback on this please,thanks

#21 ·
You aren't going to regret your choice. :lol: 500hp N/A is no problem at all. There are several builds in the buildup section that will get you there, and they are all real easy to duplicate. For the price, yes I would upgrade the rods, a good set of I-Beams would be plenty, or you could get H-Beams, if you think there is a possibility of going up in hp in the future. The rods are a small investment compared to what you are putting on top of them. Pistons are not cheap, and they get pretty banged up when a rod lets go. Good luck and keep us posted. 8)

#23 ·
Almost any head would work for where you are heading. The D3's are a little more forgiving for a pump gas build, but you can get some -22cc pistons for the DOVE's and keep it close to a pump gas combo with the right cam.

#24 ·
98aggie -
Now you're trying to weasel out of what you actually said.

"an AFTERMARKET Windsor block to build a 461 or 480 would be close to the same cost as a Big Block Ford 460"
THAT statement doesn't depend upon anything except what you claim can be done.

The costs are NOT even close, unless you intend to buy that block and give it to him for free - that Windsor block is over $2000.00 by itself and the crank is another $1,200.00; now put the other internals in it and heads.
The guy we are talking with, (79stang93), has NONE of those parts in his car.
I am POSITIVE a core 460 engine is at least 10 times LESS than those components. And, to get 500 horsepower is pretty easy with that main core engine.

I think you simply like to see yourself in print on the internet 'cause you have very little idea what you're talking about here. The miss -information on this forum is mind boggling without something as far out as that statement.
Besides, what Mustang in the last 25 years came with a 351W engine other than those Cobra Mustangs in the early 90's...?

#25 ·
rmcomprandy said:
98aggie -
Now you're trying to weasel out of what you actually said.

"an AFTERMARKET Windsor block to build a 461 or 480 would be close to the same cost as a Big Block Ford 460"
THAT statement doesn't depend upon anything except what you claim can be done.

The costs are NOT even close, unless you intend to buy that block and give it to him for free - that Windsor block is over $2000.00 by itself and the crank is another $1,200.00; now put the other internals in it and heads.
The guy we are talking with, (79stang93), has NONE of those parts in his car.
I am POSITIVE a core 460 engine is at least 10 times LESS than those components. And, to get 500 horsepower is pretty easy with that main core engine.

I think you simply like to see yourself in print on the internet 'cause you have very little idea what you're talking about here. The miss -information on this forum is mind boggling without something as far out as that statement.
No I was just looking at a 461windosr being built and the builder has a little over $6000 tied up in the motor (World block, AFR heads, crank, rods, pistons) Don't think he has an intake for it. But he gets parts cheaper than most of us. I had over $7k in my 501 build but that was because I went with hydraulic rollers which drove the cost up. I just posted up what I have seen, not trying to spread mis-information.

#26 ·

This is my 502/ 631 hp BB Ford in my 92 Mustang GT. Lots of power, killer sound, anyone that looks under the hood is impressed :D . I'm running aluminum heads and a tubular crossmember/control arms which help with the weight distribution. The car is definitely not a corner carver, but actually handles quite well on the street and highway. With a BB,manual steering, manual brakes, skinnies on the front and11" ET Streets on the back it's definitely not designed to do any high speed cornering :shock: .
Gary[/img]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.