460 Ford Forum banner

Hello, new guy in search of knowledge.

772 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Fordman1971 
#1 ·
Hi, I am new to actually taking the dive into building an engine soon....as the budget permits. I'm mechanically inclined, but unexperienced in this field.

The engine is a 79' dt9e-ab block.....guy says it's 429, but all my research points to it being a truck 460, which is good cuz I'll be stroking it later on. ATM, it is stated that the engine is a fresh overhaul. Bought it through eBay for 900.00. First, I'm just gonna go with some good heads, intake, fitech efi, headers, a pretty big cam, roller rockers, and some good electronic ignition. Hoping to get 500 hp with all that....is this realistic?

It'll be going in a 1971 f250. I'm debating on swapping the c6 for an AOD tranny....any thoughts?

I'll post in engine section about this build later. Im glad to have found this site and be a part of it. Maybe one day I'll have something to offer to a newb like myself.

Chance

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum! Lots of knowledgeable folks here.
500 horse is easily attainable, especially if you plan to stoke it and change heads, injection and cam.
You would have to do a lot of work to the aod to keep it together behind a built 460. My personal recommendation is to stick with the c6.
Good luck with the build!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.