460 Ford Forum banner

429 to a 460

15K views 23 replies 5 participants last post by  banks 
#1 ·
Hi guys, i'm new here and new to big block fords. Currently i have a built ford lightning with a whipple 3.4, i did all the engine work myself.

I also have a 93 fox that i'm looking at putting a big block into. I have a 429 block and i'm wondering if all i have to do is put a 460 crank in it to get it to 460ci. From what i have read the 429 and 460 have the same rod length and bore diameter correct. the only difference is the stroke of the crank?

am i on the right track here?

#3 ·
what is the difference in the pistons?

also is the only difference in cranks the stoke length or are the journal sizes different as well?

I guess what i need to be asking is what do i need to do to get my 429 to a 460? can i just get a 460 rotating assembly and put in it or is there more to it then that like deck height etc..

sorry if these are dumb questions, this is new territory for me

#4 ·
The only difference between the 429 and 460 is the stroke and piston. Same rods. Same journal sizes. Same pin diameter. The pistons have different compression hieghts. The 429 pistons can be milled down to work with a 460 crank, but it would be best to use the right piston.

If you want to convert your 429 to a 460, just get a 460 rotating assy and bolt it in. Same goes for 501-557 CID rotating assemblies.

The older 429/460's have a bigger pilot diameter, so make sure you match what you have now if you want to retain your present transmission components.

#5 ·
ok, thanks.. that is what i needed to know. i need to find out exactly what year the block is incase it becomes a concern like you say. not sure what i'm going to do as far as tranny so i will need to look into that before i make a decision

#6 ·
well, i was just browsing through summit really quick and from what i noticed, the majority of the options for the 460 that use a forged crank is going to get me to 500ci. I was looking at the scat stuff since i know a guy that can get me dealer discount on scat stuff. my question now is what is the max stroke i can go with on the 429 block? The first rotating assembly i cam accross with a forged crank would get me 502ci. would this work with my block?

#9 ·
There are several combinations that will bolt-in just like a factory assembly. Max stroke among them will be 4.500. They will all be available in either nod iron or forged 4340. One thing to consider is that the cast cranks will be external balance design and the forged will be internal. If you have a 429 now, it's an internal design so you can use all the same accessories.

#11 ·
so i could run a 4.15 stroke crank in a 460 rotating assembly without any issues? that would be perfect. definitely wanting to go with a forged crank because i be pushing some power through it and maybe some nitrous.. good to know about the internal design..

it sounds like i've somewhat of an idea of what i want to do with the bottom end.. do i need to know what kind of heads and cam i am going to run before making a final decision on the rotating assembly?

#13 ·
The pilot hole in the flange end of the crankshafts come in two different sizes.
The torque converter center pilot has to match the crankshaft.

#22 ·
ok, so i found that the deck height of most most 429/460 is right at 10.3"

i found this kit from scat (just using as an example) it say it is for a 460 with a 4.15" stroke and 6.7" rod and doesn't give a compression height for the piston. that already adds up to 10.85" so i'm a little lost at how this is supposed to work

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.