whats a holman and moody engine worth? [Archive] - 460 Ford Forum

: whats a holman and moody engine worth?

429cougar
09-28-2006, 03:46 PM
i found a holman and moody 427 side oiler double quad engine for sale at this shop it really clean was in a boat for some reason? im not reall y sure im getting the numbers on it tomarrow just wondering what a complete engine like this is worth?

Phantasea466
09-28-2006, 03:58 PM
i found a holman and moody 427 side oiler double quad engine for sale at this shop it really clean was in a boat for some reason? im not reall y sure im getting the numbers on it tomarrow just wondering what a complete engine like this is worth?

If it's for REAL it's worth mega $$$$$$$ My 427 stroker that I sold was NOT a HM engine but one that I built for drag racing. I let it go for $7800 a few years ago.........

429cougar
09-28-2006, 04:27 PM
this guy wants only 6500 for itbut i can prolly get it for 5500. should i go ahead and get all the numbers off it just to see if its for real? and how do i chek it is there a website?

Phantasea466
09-28-2006, 04:30 PM
this guy wants only 6500 for itbut i can prolly get it for 5500. should i go ahead and get all the numbers off it just to see if its for real? and how do i chek it is there a website?

Best FE information on the planet is www.fordfe.com

Get the numbers and I may be able to help some. AND get pictures!

Good Luck

429cougar
09-28-2006, 04:40 PM
im leaving right now to take pictures ill be right back

Phantasea466
09-28-2006, 04:42 PM
im leaving right now to take pictures ill be right back

I'm leaving the office. I'll be back tomorrow :lol: :wink:

429cougar
09-28-2006, 06:25 PM
im back this is what i found-----c3ae 9510 bj c3af 9510 bk
c4ae-6090-h
66-427 what is it?

RJP
09-28-2006, 08:29 PM
Carbs are the BJ/BK 2 x 4 set up that are available in reproduction for big $$$. Orig. carbs are worth as much if not more if they are in rebuildable-good condition. Head number [C4AE-6090-H] does not show in my books, are you sure the number is correct? A C3AE-6090-H head is a late 63 427 lowriser. If the C4 number is correct I'm inclined to think the heads could be passenger car head and nothing special. What is the block number and casting date? Also check for maincap crossbolts, if it has the crossbolts more than likely its a 427 but be aware it is possible to cross bolt any FE and that makes it look like a 427. Only way to tell for sure is to pull a head to measure the bore/stroke and drop the pan to see what rod/crank is in the engine. Most H/M 427s had steel cranks and Le Mans rods. One last thing...be sure its a real sideoiler and not a block that was cast as a S/O but drilled for a centeroiler, some marine/industrial FEs [and not just 427s] were cast as S/Os and are infact center oilers. Look for the galley plugs in the galley 'bulge" The counterfiting is more common than you think, I'm doing a 427 C/O for a fellow that thought he was getting a S/O because he saw the galley bulge but didn't look for the galley plugs, needless to say he is a "little" dissapointed.

429cougar
09-28-2006, 11:11 PM
i can get more numbers from this engine if needed also i need to know how to figure out if it is in fact a holman moody engine cuz the only thing telling me is the owner and the intake its from a super gas boat

Paul Kane
09-29-2006, 01:27 AM
That RJP really knows his FE's. 8)

Coug, you said that this H-M 427 was in a boat "for some reason?" Well, they found their way into boats, too; FE's ruled the v-drive world in the 1960's. Here's a picture of a pristine, all original H-M 427 in a 1967 Howard v-drive. I took these pictures:

http://img.clubphoto.com/jerboa/174130390/512/null/image.jpg

http://img.clubphoto.com/jerboa/174129407/600/null/image.jpg

http://img.clubphoto.com/jerboa/174129423/596/null/image.jpg

Even the license plate registration tag is a 1967 tag. The boat is owned by one of the nicest Texans I have ever met....

Paul

Phantasea466
09-29-2006, 08:32 AM
Carbs are the BJ/BK 2 x 4 set up that are available in reproduction for big $$$. Orig. carbs are worth as much if not more if they are in rebuildable-good condition. Head number [C4AE-6090-H] does not show in my books, are you sure the number is correct? A C3AE-6090-H head is a late 63 427 lowriser. If the C4 number is correct I'm inclined to think the heads could be passenger car head and nothing special. What is the block number and casting date? Also check for maincap crossbolts, if it has the crossbolts more than likely its a 427 but be aware it is possible to cross bolt any FE and that makes it look like a 427. Only way to tell for sure is to pull a head to measure the bore/stroke and drop the pan to see what rod/crank is in the engine. Most H/M 427s had steel cranks and Le Mans rods. One last thing...be sure its a real sideoiler and not a block that was cast as a S/O but drilled for a centeroiler, some marine/industrial FEs [and not just 427s] were cast as S/Os and are infact center oilers. Look for the galley plugs in the galley 'bulge" The counterfiting is more common than you think, I'm doing a 427 C/O for a fellow that thought he was getting a S/O because he saw the galley bulge but didn't look for the galley plugs, needless to say he is a "little" dissapointed.

Yeah what he said! :lol:

I don't have my book in front of me but C4AE heads ring a bell. Isn't one type a regular 390 head however the 6090 suffix is a medium riser head? I'd have to check my references.

429Cougar,

Something that has peaked my curiosity, you don't have the money for good heads or porting information but you have money for a 427 side oiler :?: :P :wink:

psquare75
09-29-2006, 08:43 AM
[429Cougar,

Something that has peaked my curiosity, you don't have the money for good heads or porting information but you have money for a 427 side oiler :?: :P :wink:

You mean.. "You don't have money for brackets for your shifter, but you have money for a 427 side oiler"

:wink:

429cougar, not for nothing, but, each new thread by you seems to be almost totally unrelated to the other threads, to the point of which I often wonder if they even concern the same car. Ever heard of trying to make an outline for your car, then sticking to it? it seems like you're all over the place.

Greg_P
09-29-2006, 10:17 AM
No, you mean you don't have money to join Scott J's website, but the $$$ is there for the side oiler....LOL....

Just pickin' on ya, bud!

Greg

Phantasea466
09-29-2006, 10:47 AM
Just pickin' on ya, bud!

Me too so don't take it the wrong way. I'm just givin' you a hard time :P

429cougar
09-29-2006, 03:16 PM
well in fact i dont have the money in hand im going to barrow it from my dad or someone in my family but i only do that kind of thing if its for sure ya know ?

429cougar
09-29-2006, 03:22 PM
i do have the money to buy those things im just cheap sometimes like a to save a few bucks ya know and im stubborn too

zephyrracer
09-29-2006, 04:44 PM
We can always find money for a side oiler. I have a friend that races a true 427 side oiler in a picklefork sweet boat. I would buy it if its true just to have it. Gregg

cougar1969
09-29-2006, 08:33 PM
I offer $5.00 and will have a buddy come get it and add it to his collection of 427 engines

Randy

RJP
09-29-2006, 09:26 PM
Yeah what he said! :lol:

I don't have my book in front of me but C4AE heads ring a bell. Isn't one type a regular 390 head however the 6090 suffix is a medium riser head? I'd have to check my references.

429Cougar,

Something that has peaked my curiosity, you don't have the money for good heads or porting information but you have money for a 427 side oiler :?: :P :wink:[/quote]The "6090" number is the common casting number that IDs it as a cylinder head, All Ford heads are casting #6090. It is the prefex and the suffix that IDs a particular head. The FoMoCo part number for heads is 6049. After thinking about the C4AE-H number it is possible the head is a P/I or a service part number.

bbstickstang
09-29-2006, 09:28 PM
my parts identifier book has the C4AE-6090-F as a 427 hi rise,but the sufix is a F and not a H (as in your case).most of the 427 stuff was C3AE.And it looks like all the"side oiler" blocks were made in 65 and up .C5AE,C6AE,C7AE,C8AE,IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE SUFFIX.C3AZ-Z was a 427 crossbolt top oiler.you almost need to physically identify it to be sure .

429cougar
09-29-2006, 11:12 PM
well i guess i have to go and get more part numbers because i dident write thrm down myself so they can be incorrect so i will be sure to get correct ones in a few days

badmusclecars
09-30-2006, 11:32 PM
Not actually a 427. But I did buy a 1961 RacinCraft boat for $300. Its Holman and Moody 427 was taken out in 1978 and a crate/NOS 428 scj was put in. Still has the 427 intake and the H/M bug catcher. I didn't buy this 20 years ago,it was last summer. The guy made me promise I would not burn the boat and put the motor in a car. Later,Dave

StickBBF
10-01-2006, 07:46 AM
The guy made me promise I would not burn the boat and put the motor in a car.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RJP
10-01-2006, 03:50 PM
Not actually a 427. But I did buy a 1961 RacinCraft boat for $300. Its Holman and Moody 427 was taken out in 1978 and a crate/NOS 428 scj was put in. Still has the 427 intake and the H/M bug catcher. I didn't buy this 20 years ago,it was last summer. The guy made me promise I would not burn the boat and put the motor in a car. Later,DaveAre you sure its not a Rayson Craft? If it is in fact a Rayson Craft then it should be worth many times what you paid for it. It would be worthy of a period correct restoration. The fellow who's name would be connected to your boat just recently passed away and so it goes his boats are getting very popular. Rudy Ramos liked and used FE Fords in his boats so by using a FE of any sorts would be manufacture and period correct. Do you have any pictures of your boat?

badmusclecars
10-01-2006, 11:58 PM
You are right. It is a Rayson Craft. I actually am trying to find info on this boat. The guy that I bought it off of said it was bought new by Al Unser sr and sold it when Al jr was born. I have done a bunch of searching on the internet but no luck. There is alot of personal stuff on the internet on the Unsers but nothing on their boats. This boat was painted to match his indy car at the time and the previous owner said he sanded off 7 paint jobs including the first one that was lettered and numbered. He said the numbers was 00 on it but I could not find any cars that Al Unser ran with 00 on it. later,Dave

TorinoStyle2
10-02-2006, 12:04 AM
I would buy the 427 just to resell it for many more dollars......enough to build a 550+ cu. in. Big Block that would absolutely destroy an FE motor!!

429cougar
10-02-2006, 04:55 AM
its for sale

RJP
10-02-2006, 01:46 PM
You are right. It is a Rayson Craft. I actually am trying to find info on this boat. The guy that I bought it off of said it was bought new by Al Unser sr and sold it when Al jr was born. I have done a bunch of searching on the internet but no luck. There is alot of personal stuff on the internet on the Unsers but nothing on their boats. This boat was painted to match his indy car at the time and the previous owner said he sanded off 7 paint jobs including the first one that was lettered and numbered. He said the numbers was 00 on it but I could not find any cars that Al Unser ran with 00 on it. later,Dave I think you hit the motherlode with this boat. A desriable hull with a "history" connected to it. For info on the boat try the Hot Boat web site forums [www.hotboat.com/forums], go to the V-drived section and post your questions but be prepared to furnish pictures. Pics will help jog memorys of some of the old-timers that use that board. If you don't want to do the resto. on this boat please sell it to someone who will. 50s/60s nolstaga hotboats and raceboats are getting very popular and can command big bucks as groups are getting together to show and "race" their restored boats, not unlike some of the old classic wood boat shows that have been going on for many years.