my 460 won't start! [Archive] - 460 Ford Forum

: my 460 won't start!

worktruck
01-18-2010, 09:47 PM
my '77 f250 with a 460 just will not start. All electronics are new, fuel system new, new Holly 750, and it spins like the "dickens".. Tried NAPA starting fluid and won't start. Got fuel to the carb, and about 2 hrs later tried. STARTED!. The next morning: no start!! Do I tear the carb apart or what? When it did start yesterday, it ran pretty smooth, needs some fiddling with I guess. But my main problem is, no start. Any thing I have overlooked? When it did start last year, it was stumbling and spittin' until really warmed up. Perplexed, I am. Thanks to anybody and everybody.. worktruck

Cambi
01-19-2010, 12:57 AM
Which Holley 750? Vacuum Secondaries? Choke? Sounds like it needs some adjustment and perhaps the choke is not functioning.

digger460
01-19-2010, 08:46 AM
Make sure you are getting spark to the plugs. Since it wouldnt start on starting fluid, maybe an intermitten electricle prob. Maybe a bad grd. Is it an MSD ign. system?

Retro Ranger 77
01-20-2010, 01:28 PM
I had an issue with mine where it wouldn't start when it was warmed up. Turns out the hall effect sensor in the distributor was faulty. It did have the same symptoms as yours where you could crank it continuously and it wouldn't even begin to fire, even with starter fluid. It actually started backwards once! But I did the same thing as you and replaced all of the ignition equipment and had no effect. So, if you have overlooked this component and assuming that you have the factory Duraspark II system, then this sensor could be the problem.

RetroJim
01-21-2010, 09:07 PM
Some very good advice .
You have an electrical problem so start at the distributor and work from there . Use an ohm meter to see if you are getting power to distributor and work backward to see where the power loss is . Check the inside of the distributor and make sure everything is installed properly and nothing is loose .

Retro Ranger 77 has a good point , if the starting fluid doesn't work you have no spark .

RetroJim

460VEGA
01-21-2010, 09:41 PM
I would also check and see if the timing chain has jumped a tooth or two, it can act the same way.

worktruck
01-23-2010, 07:18 PM
To all the responses and their editors might I just say "THANKS" for all your suggestions. I am lucky that I have an "old school" gas station/mechanic just a quarter mile away. Finally got it started, took it to him and he fiddled for a day and said "choke is not functioning". An adjustment later, it now starts.. Sort of red faced I am, but tomorrow is the real test. I need to start it, not the mechanic.. Again, thanks for all the suggestions, but I guess the simple truth is I screwed up the choke when I replaced the carb. Now we all know "the truth of the matter". P.S. He says I got a good truck. worktruck:)