460 Ford Forum banner

Full passenger car iron cylinder head porting instruction on the RHP website

66K views 156 replies 40 participants last post by  The Mad Porter 
#1 · (Edited)
Update Please Read

Full porting instructions for iron passenger car castings.
Light info on PI and Eddy castings.

Other relevant information about distributor recurving, timing set differences and porting tools...

Paypal $31.25 to Reincarnation_2000@Yahoo.com

OR

Call me at 253-988-6648 ONLY if you do not have a paypal account.

The new business Parkland Performance Auto Machine LLC
Formerly RHP
Does not have a Paypal account yet. We are working on this.

Thank you for looking

SJ

For those wishing to port their own iron passenger car heads RHP has in depth instructions with tons of pics to guide you along your way.

There are additional informational pages such as early and late timing set differences, rocker arm differences and pics of ported iron cj, pi, eddy aluminum and A-429 aluminum cj castings.

There is a 1 time subscription fee of $31.25

We offer email help in clarification as needed.

:D

See less See more
#3 ·
Thank you for the positive feedback matt...

#4 ·
Bump

To the top...

#6 ·
great info for the DIY person............i can recall when the site was first started up.

for those people looking to port iron heads and build power on a budget this site is the best coin spent

#7 ·
dove a-dove c iron heads

question for the mad porter.i have a set of iron 460 heads the driver side head is a dove A and the passanger head is a dove C.i think these are a matched pair?are they suppost to be dove A and dove C or are they supposed to be both A or both C to be matched.

#9 ·
time

For those wishing to port their own iron passenger car heads RHP has in depth instructions with tons of pics to guide you along your way.

There are additional informational pages such as early and late timing set differences, rocker arm differences and pics of ported iron cj, pi, eddy aluminum and A-429 aluminum cj castings.

There is a 1 time subscription fee of $29.95 ( yes we finally had to raise it after 6 years)

http://reincarnation-automotive.com

Click on the BBF technical index link (how to subscribe) and follow the instructions. You will be emails a password with payment confirmation. We have over 1000 paid subscribers...

We offer email help in clarification as needed.

hello how much time can a guy get in to porting a set of heads

#10 ·
hello how much time can a guy get in to porting a set of heads
The first timers can take 20 hours or better for budget oriented type work and small valves. I have over the years been able to get to about 10 hours or less.

The full on large valve port job can run 30 to 40 hours for a newbie. I have it down to about 20+.

Max effort 350+ cfm intakes and 200+ exhausts??? Dont even ask... :D

#11 ·
I added the KISS exhaust port pics to the site...

...under the dove specific porting section...

We are getting 15K hits a month now and have over 1000 registered users. This may not seem like much compared to some sites i'm sure but for a niche subscriber only site its not too shabby...

#12 ·
anyone interested in answereing a question about dove a and dove c heads.i have a set i'm using one side head is a doveA and the other side is a doveC,is this a matched pair,same heads just stamped A and C to tell which side they go to,i don't know it's why i'm asking??

#13 ·
No appreciable difference.

They may be used interchangeable as can the C8 and C9 castings...

#15 ·
The heads have to be port matched to the victor intakes as cast intake ports which are dove sized but on cj centers.

:)

#18 ·
the PI head has the iron cj exhaust port with a bit better exhaust short turn.

The intake is a smaller version of the iron cj port architecture and is ported in the same manner. The cj match is not needed unless you are using a cj intake manifold. The victor port match is best for use with the eddy victor intake...

The basic porting techniques outlined in the site for iron heads and the pics of the PI and cj ports should give the needed information for working your heads. Anything else thats needed i can fill in via email if needed...

#19 ·
In addition to the iron head porting there are instructions and pics to do the eddy performer and eddy cj castings.

Aluminum CJ Cylinder heads
Cylinder heads: casting numbers,
application data, descriptions
Edelbrock RPM # 6067
Stats & pics
Flow comparison:
Aluminum vs Iron. Ported vs as cast
240 CFM "E" RPM exhaust "Ported"
Flow tested ports and numbers, early
Hooker super comps #6115
for 70/71 intermediates
Home built flow bench
Iron Cobra Jet heads. DO0E-R
with mild porting tips too
On line general porting guide
Rocker pedestal mods: instructions, tools needed.
'72 P.I. Castings. D2OE-AB
Port cut away pics. 260 cfm
Porting guide: Iron D0VE castings
Port plates 429 / 460
Side by side comparison: D0VE, D0OE-R, D2OE-AB, Aluminum CJ and RPM
Porting guide: each mod flow tested 3-02
Timing gears: early vs late
Tools list for home porting
Rocker pedestal as cast and modified
Connecting rod comparison
204 cfm stock exit port. Less work no floor filling This is cool.
Intake porting guide updated 01 / 05
A-429 aluminum CJ porting guide pictorial
fuelie E7TE flow #'s and pics
D3VE specific porting pictorial

# 1
# 2
# 3
# 4
D0VE-C porting guide / notes
# 5
Distributor recurving instructions. Ford Dura spark
Valve & seat relationship, angles, etc.
Jon Kaase's new SCJ heads link
Deck, check for milling guide "iron"
Intake manifold flow testing

Cross sectional exhaust port pics
New
Cross sectional intake port pics
New
SCJ porting tips
RPM CJ porting tips
Rocker arm comparison factory
Known end dyno or track proven BBF combos. This is getting good !
New
New
Team385 build detailed
New
BBC head comparo
Thermactor boss plugging instructions
New
Victor manifold on a D0VE casting
New

The above are a sample of the links on the site...

#20 ·
TTT

To the top...
Thank you for looking.

#21 ·
TTT

To the top...

#22 ·
TTT

To the top...

#23 ·
TTT

To the top gents...

#25 ·
Thank you for the good word sir...

#26 ·
Look at our updated site...

Slowly updating and modernizing our site.

#27 ·
TTT

Bumpity bump...

#31 ·
TTT

To the top and thanks to all who support the site...

#33 ·
I too subscribed to the detailed porting guide

Never ported heads before. Got some D3s and a practice head to torture. Using the detailed instructions and pictures on Scotts web site program, I was able to finish a set of D3s on the exhaust side and just some general bowl blending on the intake side.
My machine shop guy was impressed and offered to throw some work my way and I said no thanks,. This really makes me appreciate what it takes to do this time consuming job. I saved some money and learned alot as well.
His initial one time fee is more than worth what you get out of it. I bought a basic set of porting bits and some sanding drums. Didn't get to flow test them as I was pressed for time and his shop was busy but this is a good teaching tool that is being offered here by the "Mad Porter". Sorry didn't mean to ramble but it is what it is. Warren

#34 ·
Never ported heads before. Got some D3s and a practice head to torture. Using the detailed instructions and pictures on Scotts web site program, I was able to finish a set of D3s on the exhaust side and just some general bowl blending on the intake side.
My machine shop guy was impressed and offered to throw some work my way and I said no thanks,. This really makes me appreciate what it takes to do this time consuming job. I saved some money and learned alot as well.
His initial one time fee is more than worth what you get out of it. I bought a basic set of porting bits and some sanding drums. Didn't get to flow test them as I was pressed for time and his shop was busy but this is a good teaching tool that is being offered here by the "Mad Porter". Sorry didn't mean to ramble but it is what it is. Warren
Thank you for the good word warren...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.