460 Ford Forum banner

Washer in oil pan (on windage tray?)

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  The Mad Porter 
#1 ·
After pulling the intake to changed the lifters I started to remove the valve covers and a 1/4" washer dropped into the engine. It fell through the oil galley and sounds like it landed on top of the windage tray.

The plan is simply put the liffters in and see if it fixes my valve train noise, if not the motor will be pulled.

What do you think? Is it ok to run it long enough to break the lifters end and see if they fixed my problem or should I pull the pan?

#2 ·
What's the worst that can happen?

Mmm, a quarter inch washer bouncing around the crankcase nicking up everything to hell or it just falls into the pan and comes out on your next oil change.

BTW, you can also post your question in SpeedTalk, the FE forum, the BBC forum, etc., etc.

Proper etiquette would to ask a question in one forum, and if you don't receive a proper answer with-in a week, then ask your question in the other. This cuts down all the double posting.

Dave

#4 ·
After pulling the intake to changed the lifters I started to remove the valve covers and a 1/4" washer dropped into the engine. It fell through the oil galley and sounds like it landed on top of the windage tray. What do you think?
I think you need to get that washer out of your crankcase. :rolleyes:

Tip: Whenever the intake manifold is removed, it is wise to place a rag in the lifter valley so as to cover up the crankcase ventilation holes (those are not "drainback" holes).

While we're on the subject, Tip # 2: A lifter valley is not to be used as a tool tray.

Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.