460 Ford Forum banner

Can anyone recommend good spark plugs?

35K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  stang93mustang 
#1 · (Edited)
I have of course a 460 with 514 kit yielding a 520 ci. w/ flat top pistons. I'm using DOVE heads from a 69' slightly milled, oversized valves, 1.7 rockers, full roller cam. My question is could someone recommend good plugs. I can't get good info from the yahoos at the auto parts store because they did not make a 460 in a Fox body! I've been using autolite platinum plugs which seems to foul out quickly. I don't have any ideal what heat range I should be using or when I look in Jegs/ Summit for race plugs they offer two different reaches which I don't know which one I should be looking at. If someone could help me out on this I would really be greatful. I was told to use NKG V plugs but again, which ones? I don't feel like I have to spend $6-8 per plug either!

Thanks in advance.

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks man, I'll give them a try. Should I start cold and go from there to see if I need to go hotter or just get the hot plug?

I just looked them up @ advance auto. $2.79 each. FYI

#4 ·
I don't think those plugs will fit into the short 18 mm spark plug hole of the early heads unless you use some spark plug adapters available from www.garrettmachine.com.

VERY good product.

#7 · (Edited)
I'm home and just check what I have and yes... I'm using the AP45's but again they are the platinum. Should I use regular 45's instead of the AP45's? While I'm still working with jetting, looking for a stronger plug. Using the 3 circuit 1050 Dominator with victor jr. manifold. Power valve deletes on both sides. 88 jets in front and 93 jets in the rear. It seems okay so far as for running leaner. It has not been on an air/fuel meter yet.

Would going up towards the 124's be a better plug for me?

#9 · (Edited)
Just as with the AR3934's, (except with a shorter reach and tapered seat), the AR33 plugs with their 14 mm threads would be somewhat loose when screwing them into the 18 mm threaded plug hole of the D0VE heads lol.
Is this a South Carolina thing...?

Buy and USE the long reach small thread adapters which become a permanent part of the head; you'll be glad you did.

EDIT: There are a whole bunch of 3/4" reach, 14mm threaded, small 5/8" hex plugs to choose from and get EXACTLY what you need.

#15 ·
YES ... those adapters use a 3/4" reach, gasketed, 14mm thread, 5/8" hex spark plug just like most of the aluminum heads in the marketplace use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.