460 Ford Forum banner

How much does your A-460 engine weigh?

39K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  F570.RD 
#1 ·
I just got the engine back together decided to weigh it. I was sure it would weigh more than it did.

620 lbs +/- 10

A-460 block, Crower/Ford Motorsport Forged crank, Crower rods, Ford Motorsport A-460 heads. As I stated I thought it would weigh more than......those Ti intakes must have saved some weight.

I'm going to weigh the boat before and after the engine is dropped in so I'm double check in a couple of weeks.

Does that weight sound about right?

G-Code

Jon

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
It's a Cat engine hoist:

Refreshed:
New Ti intakes, different valve springs, cam set straight-up vs advanced 5*, Kaase oil pump, Steph's pan. Will run new Pro-Systems 1,200 vs old 1,050. Hopefully it will make a few more ponies.

The engine looks innocent enough ;)

When they said " put a Ford in your Ford" I don't think that's what they meant.

G-Code :D

#7 ·
Got it. That sucks.... I listed a couple that might be able to help. I'll read tomorrow. Off to Bed I just did an hour of on-line traffic school. I thought I had another weak I need to have it in by Thursday, I'm out of town on Friday.

Sorry for your mishap :( that sucks.

Jon

#14 ·
Motor Plate

G-Code, that front motor plate is neat. Is that a standard marine item, and do you think it would be strong enough for a drag car. It is down out of the way, making it easier to work on the engine, and looks better than a full size plate on most cars. Who manufactures that plate?

#15 · (Edited)
G-Code, that front motor plate is neat. Is that a standard marine item, and do you think it would be strong enough for a drag car. It is down out of the way, making it easier to work on the engine, and looks better than a full size plate on most cars. Who manufactures that plate?
Try here:

http://www.rexmar.com/page308.html

I don't see why it wouldn't work for a car. Mine has been strong enough to hold over 1,150 HP (with the help of Nos) for years. This engine, although innocent looking makes 935@ 7,000. 765 lbs ft at 6,000. I should say "made", I think she has a bit more in her.

I was told by a nostagila Funny Car racer that his engine is held in place 90% by the back motor plate. He told me some of those guys just have hose clamps on the front mounts.

On the engine weight I found this:

221-302W = 460

302 Boss = 500

351W = 525

351C-Boss = 550

351M-400 = 575

332-428FE = 625

427 HEMI = 680

429-460 = 720

429-Boss = 635

It's internet info so I can't say how accurate it is. I guess the Boss 429 is alumi heads.

G-Code

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.