460 Ford Forum banner

E6TE-DA heads?

13K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  Wildebill308 
#1 ·
From what I can google it appears that these are marine heads or industrial heads. Thet are about 99cc and I was going to use them on my ~400 hp 460. The second exhaust port from the left does has the thermactor hump, but there is no air injection hole in it like the other 3. What do ya'll think? To use or not to use? That is the question.

stephen

#2 ·
found out they are from a motor home. One site said they had "smaller" exhaust valves. I'm gonna measure. I have them in hand and was going to put about $100 into them and slap them on. Still, what do ya'll think?

stephen

#3 ·
skosler said:
From what I can google it appears that these are marine heads or industrial heads. Thet are about 99cc and I was going to use them on my ~400 hp 460. The second exhaust port from the left does has the thermactor hump, but there is no air injection hole in it like the other 3. What do ya'll think? To use or not to use? That is the question.

stephen
E6TE's were used on F250's and I suppose motorhomes of the era. They are essentially D3VE's in configuration.

The heads with Thermactor drilled into them have drilled passages on 3 of the 4 ports only. The port that is not drilled is the one that serves the exhaust crossover.

Paul

#4 ·
thanks Paul

so, are they worth it for now? I will slap on some alum heads later.

stephen

#5 ·
I don't know if I should move forward with these or save up some money for another cast pair. The exh are 1.65 and the intake are 2.09. I will always run it on pump gas and therefore won't see more than ~5000 rpms and ~425 hp. I think these should flow more than I will ever need. They are the perfect cc's (especially when I take off .0150) and should work with my factory pushrods. May need new seats. Should I put a little money into them or save the money and get different heads? From what I read on other sites, these heads are not too good, but then again the pics of the chambers look nothing like what I have. I am assuming this is because of the -DA (came off a motorhome). Thanks in advance for any help.

stephen

#7 ·
sorry to sound so nagging, but I guess my question should have been: Are the D3VE heads good enough for my app? I originally googled for E6TE and didn't find much and what I did find didn't look like my heads, so I went back and searched for the D3VE and found that they are not too bad, like good quench area for decreased detonation, etc. The smaller valves are better for low end torque and lower rpm's, so this is what I was looking for.

thanks

stephen

#8 ·
400 hp is e-e-e-e-e-easy with mildly ported D3VE's, basically some exhaust port work, intake bowl blend, a good valve job, 9.5:1 compression ratio, Holley 850 double pumper, Weiand Stealth or Victor 460 intake, good distributor curve, headers, and the correct mild hydraulic lifter cam kit.

Paul

#9 ·
The guy I bought them from had already started to port them and I did a little more. Keep in mind: I want torque and ~425 hp at less than ~5000 rpms- not 600hp at 6500 rpms - pump gas.

Is it possible that these heads do not have hardened seats? I can't find anything pressed in- it looks just like the casting metal for seats. They are pitted pretty bad. Is it too bad?

On picture:
1) I wouldn't think so, but could I grind the valve guide flat with the bottom of the port?

2) Under this hump is the air passage for the thermactor holes (i think). Can I grind this flat and smooth it in?

3)there is a little raised bump for the exh bolt threads. Can this be flattened?

4) How high can I take the roof or away from the tight raduis?

#10 ·
try again - forgot how to post pics

The guy I bought them from had already started to port them and I did a little more. Keep in mind: I want torque and ~425 hp at less than ~5000 rpms- not 600hp at 6500 rpms - pump gas.

Is it possible that these heads do not have hardened seats? I can't find anything pressed in- it looks just like the casting metal for seats. They are pitted pretty bad. Is it too bad?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/skosler/IMG_0096crop.jpg

On picture:
1) I wouldn't think so, but could I grind the valve guide flat with the bottom of the port?

2) Under this hump is the air passage for the thermactor holes (i think). Can I grind this flat and smooth it in?

3)there is a little raised bump for the exh bolt threads. Can this be flattened?

4) How high can I take the roof or away from the tight radius?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/skosler/IMG_0102crop.jpg

#12 ·
I know I'm making this cumbersome, but I gotta ask one more question. I called autozone and they still sell the D3VE heads (rebuilt) fairly cheap. What would be wrong with buying these heads and porting them and slapping them on? I have yet to see a post where people have talked about autozone or NAPA heads. The autozone heads have new hardware and 3 angle valve jobs. I'll stop writing now (they may revoke my membership for asking too many stupid questions)

stephen

#13 ·
I actually spoke to one of the sales reps from the company that supplies the heads to Autozone (atleast the EFI heads, I see no reason why they would use someone else for your heads) and he recommended against using thier own heads for anything over stock build and anything going long distances, read: RV's (that's right, their sales rep didn't recommend I use his companies heads). We had a long talk about what I wanted (similar to yours goals) and he said the heads they get normally have cracks they have to repair and aren't redone with performance in mind. Now, this may be difference for the heads you were looking at, I talked to him about the F3 EFI heads, but I thought it spoke volumes that he recommended against using their heads (I also edumacated him on the fact that there are no aftermarket performance heads for the EFI's).
Hope that helps,

MoMo

#14 ·
All E6TE heads and SOME D3VE heads have the exhaust seats in the head "induction" hardened; not a seat insert.

For a "not experienced" head porter;
Grinding the thermactor bump deeper than the air hole in it, is an invitation to finding the water jacket so, that side of the port is NOT ground as deep as the other side. Shortening the guide, (it should remain square even if shortened), doesn't add any air flow but, will increase volume for a larger engine. The half round bump in the roof is the thermactor air passage and can be flattened somewhat but not entirely; (I take a caulk tube of silicone and fill that whole passageway till it comes out the holes in the port and let it dry for a week). The floor of the port is a touchy subject so, just round off the edges and make it half round.

#15 ·
Okay, so the seats are integral, but how far can I lap them down? Some are pitted pretty bad and I would have to take off about .002 or maybe even .003.

next question. if I take the heads to a machine shop to get .020 shaved off the would they use a special mill or would a regular milling machine with an end mill work the same? I have that available to me.

stephen

#16 ·
skosler said:
Okay, so the seats are integral, but how far can I lap them down? Some are pitted pretty bad and I would have to take off about .002 or maybe even .003.

next question. if I take the heads to a machine shop to get .020 shaved off the would they use a special mill or would a regular milling machine with an end mill work the same? I have that available to me.

stephen
I have just reworked a set of D3VE heads and the exhaust seats are induction hardened. This also means they are not very thick. I was in the shop watching when they made the cut for the new hardened seats and it only took about 1 ½ to 2 turns to get through the hard area. They had to cut the seats to fit the valves so I went with 2.19 intake and 1.76 exhaust, stainless valves from Ferra.
I strongley recomend new hardend inserts on the exaust.

Bill

#17 ·
The E6 heads are exactly the same configuration as the d3's excepting one of the front accessory bolt holes being larger.

I have budget ported D3 heads available that are completely rebuilt and burr ported to 320/180 cfm. They will easily make 425 hp and are less than $900.00 outright.

8)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.