460 Ford Forum banner

460 into a 66 Mustang

7K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  Israel 
#1 ·
I am almost at the point where I need to start thinking about putting the engine in the 66 mustang. I am dropping a 460 into it, but am not sure of the following. maybe you guys can point me in the right direction.

1. Motor mounts - no idea what to use. I am planning a Mustang II front suspension but even people like Helix only make mounts for small blocks.

2. Engine placement - Once I have the mounts decided upon, I will need some tips in regards to placement of the engine. How far forward? How far to the left or right? Etc.

3. Shock towers - Yes I am removing them. More than likely removing all of the inner fender sheet metal too and going with round tube frame connected to the rest of the cage on the interior of the body. I plan to leave the floor intact as well as the frame rails that are part of that. Any other advice would be helpful.

I guess that's good for starters. Thanks for the info ahead of time :)
JSM

#2 ·
Sounds like a cool project!!
For mounts, you should really consider a front mount motor plate....because when it comes time for custom built headers, its gonna make life a whole lot easier!!
You can do the side mounts, but they are at odds with headers and available space.

I would center the engine in the chassis. As for its fore/aft placement, its a pretty tight fit already, I would go rearward as much as possible, but you'll have to probably use a spare block and Foxbody oil pan to mock up everything to check for clearance.

Depending on if the frontend kit you are using comes with a front steer or rear steer rack & pinion unit, the oilpan will be real close if its a front steer type.

#8 ·
Here are a few images of what I have done so far.

These are older pictures. I am a bit further along. Now, the whole front end is a one piece fiberglass front end. I essentially got rid of the aftermarket steel fenders, got fiberglass ones and glued everything together, then fiber glassed it all and finished it.

I am playing around a little with the ride height in the back. It sits a little too low. I am going to bring it up about 1.5 inches.
JSM

#13 ·
Thanks for the compliment. Also thanks for your images. The one thing that scares me a little is the set up. I suppose I would start by measuring everything off of the Fox body I stole pieces from and then transfer those measurements to my frame. What do you think?
JSM

Also PM'd you

#14 ·
are you gona keep the stock frame rails or run 2x3 from the rear? if you use the stock rails just make a new lower control arm with heim's on both ends,kinda like a 4-link bar.do the same for the stock radius rod.i cut the end off the fox a-frame and welded the tubing in it but that may not work with a stock rail.the fox strut needs to lay back at a pritty good angle but you can mount it on the bar goen to the fire wall.it's no big deal if you mess up or dont like it,cut it off and start over.:)i'd cut it all out and run 2x3,but i dont know what your plans are.

#16 ·
Well I was not originally going to put a BB into the car so in the beginning I replaced the old beat up frame rails with new ones. They hook up the the new frame I put in from CA Chassis Works. I will probably leave them in now, just because they look so nice ;) I read your small post and my head started to spin LOL Technologically, I am a newbie here, so I'll have to read and reread a few times.
JSM

@powerstokeace - thanks for the link!

#18 ·
Yeah, I'll post some in the next day or two. Had to take a break on it but am back at it now. Did a lot of interior sheet metal work like tubs and stuff. Also did more frame/cage work. Trying to get ready to prime, paint and close up the interior. Then I'll move on to the front Mustang II suspension and finish fitting the fiberglass one piece front end. Stay tuned.
JSM

#19 · (Edited)
Just seeing now that it's been over a years since you last post.

Why CA for the back half kit over any others?
What size are the Mickey's
How did you go about determining where to mount the engine in the compartment?
You mention a glass front end, but the left fender look like a new one,...

#20 ·
Well, I went with Chris Alston's Chassis Works for the back half frame and sheet metal. They had very affordable prices, the way the bend their steel and the technical assistance I got was all good.

The rear tires are 29x18.5 15. I have not gotten to the point of determining where the engine will mount yet, but it is all dependent upon the placement of the Tremec trans I have for it. I put the block, bell housing and spacers together to let me at least see roughly where the engine will go if the transmission is lined up properly and so far all looks well. Once I have more of the cage work done in the engine compartment (all inner sheet metal has been cut away) and once I have the front Mustang II cross member in place, the engine placement will follow.

Yes I started out with just a cowl induction hood and metal fenders, but the after market fenders where so crappy, I purchased some fiberglass ones and combined those with the hood and an Eleanor front nose, the finished single piece front end ought to look pretty good.
JSM

#21 ·
So you fabbed up your own glass front end from sections,..are you gonna tilt it or just pin and remove it?

Ya really gotta post up some pics,..I'd love to watch the past and current progression.

See about getting this thread moved over to the build up section.

#22 ·
The rear tires are 29x18.5 15.

Biggest / tallest that would fit, or just all that you wanted?

#24 ·
I really really wanna see some pics:D

Post em up

#27 ·
MORE PICS,..................... :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.