460 Ford Forum banner

Carburetor For 460

29K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  rmcomprandy 
#1 ·
I've currently got a Edelbrock 600cfm carb on my 73' 460. I'm not upgraded much over stock. I feel like I'm a bit under-carbed at the moment though. It takes off good, but feels like it's lacking power in the 50MPH+ range. I believe the stock carbs were 650cfm, so I'm even under stock carb specs. I'm looking at 750cfm carbs because that seems like the sweet spot for me.

The Summit Racing carbs look nice because they're fairly inexpensive. Has anyone used them? As far as brands go, my top pick is probably Holley, but I don't have a fat wallet at the moment and the Holley 750cfm cost just over 20% more.

Any advice on what would be the "best" option?
Here are links to the Holley and Summit carbs that I'm considering:
Holley: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-0-3310SA/
Summit Racing: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-RM08750VS/

I'm glad for any help! Thanks
- Collin

#4 ·
Yeah, I looked at some of the Edelbrock 750cfm carbs, and one of them was right in between the pricing of the Holley and Summit carbs I'm considering. All of the Edelbrock carbs I've seen even up through the $400+ range are all single inlet. The other ones I'm considering are dual inlet. Not necessarily a bad thing, just different from much of the market from what I've looked at.

#6 ·
Well i wish you good luck I can tell you this,, there are some really great men on here that really know there stuff and sometimes it takes a while to here back from them but they will get to you, sorry I am not as knowlageble as the senior members but when they advise you on somthing you can take it to the bank they really know there stuff....

#9 ·
Between the 750 and 850... Are you running an upgraded 460? I'm using mine as a daily driver. I like some performance, but i need to keep low end responsiveness and decent fuel economy (around my current 12-14 if possible). I also hadn't been looking into 850cfm carbs because they cost a little more. Could be worth it if the benefits are good enough.

#8 ·
I just removed my old Holley 600cfm and put on a n Edelbrock 750cfm carb. It has a manuel choke and manuel secondarys. The engine is stock with the exeption of headers and dual exhaust.
The first thing i noticed was the van has more pep off the line, I can hear the secondarys kik in when I put my foot in it. I am usually driving around at part throttle without my foot in it all the time. Normal driving I would say it responds better with the larger carb, the primarys are bigger and you feel it. The secondarys may meed a jet change or maybe needles or both, I'll get to that. I did have to get a bigger gasket for the 750 because when I hit the gas pedal the butterflyes were hitting the gasket. (food for thought).
I am quite happy with the 750. Engine feels like it breathes better and runs more effortlessly. I am not seeing a big difference at all in gass mileage yet. I do know that it likes the bigger carb without a doubt.

#10 ·
Yeah, I've also been wondering about the manual vs. vacuum secondaries and what each does for performance vs. fuel mileage. I always thought that manual secondaries were worse off the line, but better for top end HP. I also thought they were worse for mileage, but not completely sure.

Thanks for sharing the experience with your carb! Do you have a model number or link to the carb that you're running on your 460?

#11 ·
I'm running this because it is what I have available. If I had my way it would be a n electric choke with vacume secondarys. Vacume secondarys open up when the engine wants it and not because you foot tells it to (so I listen to how it sounds when I get on it , and back off when I hear its not doing much good) you feel if its going faster or not right?
I believe its an Edelbrock 1407
For the record, I do prefer the Holleys. The Edelbrock is very easy to work on though. I'm still learning too.

#13 ·
Okay, I looked at what you have, and I may get an Edelbrock 1411 model. Similar to yours, but it has vacuum secondaries and electric choke. Cost like $320 which is more than I was looking to spend, but it's probably the best choice. Edelbrock carbs are nice because they're almost "dummy-proof" when it comes to adjustments and stuff.

Thanks for the help!

#12 ·
I too have been researching various carbs for my 74 460 in my F350 to replace my stock Motorcraft 4300 4bbl carb. The engine is all stock. You might also look at the Quick Fuel Technology carbs. The 735 SS and 750 slayer have been highly recommended. Also the Demon carbs, 750 street is also recommended. You can google them and check their websites out.

#14 ·
#15 ·
Yeah, I'd glanced at the Quick Fuel carbs. Looks like a decent deal for a 750 cfm from them. The Edelbrock 750 cfm I'm looking at is only another $20 though, and I think I prefer the Edelbrock brand. That's just a personal preference. Thanks for sharing the info though!

#16 ·
Edelbrock 1411 is a good carb on a fairly mild or stock engine, I'm sure it will work well for you.

D

Sent from my iPad using Autoguide

#17 ·
I run the 750 Summit carb on my truck, it's similar to the Holley. I have never had a problem and you can't beat the price.It's also got the electric choke and vacuum secondaries plus dual inlets.
John

#19 ·
Yeah, I was originally looking at Summit carbs because of the cheap price. I haven't ordered a carb, and I may take another look at the Summit carbs since you say you've had a good experience with one. I think I'll need to get a new air cleaner housing if I get one of those, because I'm not sure the base of my current one will fit perfectly (I've hacked the bottom plate up a bit for my fuel line to fit right and tighten down right). So that's another $25 past the carb expense. Still a good bit cheaper than the Edelbrock 1411. I'm just trying to map out all of my options because I'm on a tight budget and I want to buy the right thing the first time.

Thanks for your help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.