460 Ford Forum banner

intake manifold leak help

10K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  dohcsvt 
#1 · (Edited)
I have this crate engine http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=9289 and recently it developed an intake manifold leak. I mainly use it for cruising around town so I decided to replace the intake gasket with a victor reinz part # 95074sg. I did not use the cork end gaskets that came with it. I wanted to use permatex #2, but o'reilly's did not have that. They did have versa chem Gasket sealant type 2 so I got that (when I opened it I realized it was a black colored sealant?). I disassembled and thoroughly cleaned all surfaces (I noticed that FoMoCo originally assembled this motor with what appears to be clear silicone in place of the end gaskets). Anyway, I re-assembled everything torqued the manifold to 25 lbs/ft in 2 increments and then one last time around to verify torque. By the time I got everything else back on the engine it was about 1.5 to 2 hours later (more than long enough for the sealant to have set up, at least with my experience). Started the engine and all seamed well, let it worm up for a few minutes and all was well. I then blipped the throttle and water started squirting out of the front driver side corner of the manifold where it meets the head and block. Every time I would rev the engine it looked just like a squirt gun. DAMMIT! Does anybody have input as to a different gasket, or sealant or torque to use when I do this again next weekend. Did I not leave the RTV cure long enough? Any help would be appreciated.
Ottis

See less See more
#2 ·
versa chem Gasket sealant type 2

Superior formula remains soft and pliable to form a leak-proof seal
Slow-drying and flexible setting
Set time: 4 hours; Cure time: 24 hours
Ideal for permanent and semi-permanent assemblies
Seal and repair metal assemblies, new and used gaskets, and more

#4 ·
I just pulled the package out of the trash to re-check what I read yesterday. The set nor cure time are printed on the packaging. I specifically looked for that information. Just figured that the time to assemble the rest would be sufficient then. Thanks for the input, now I know for future reference

Those VR gaskets are awesome. Something not right there. Check the bolts are not bottoming out maybe?
Yeah, I have read great things about them, guess I will be spending another $32 for another set to re-perform this job next weekend.

Thanks for the input.
Ottis

#7 ·
Just pulled the intake back off. Approximately 20 to 21 hours after install and all of the sealant is still gooey and sticky. Not set up at all!! I have ordered permatex brand type 2 from amazon. I reviewed their web site data. It also gives 4 hours set and 24 hours cure. I guess I will just put it together one day and then fire it up 2 days later. Hopefully now that I know about the longer cure times it will work better this time. I will probably squirt a big gob onto a shop rag and check it over time and not run the engine until that gob is cured. Any input to my plan would be appreciated.
Ottis

#10 ·
I just got home from work and 32 hours later this stuff is still not set up. When I pulled it off this afternoon and everything was still gooey, I decided to just let cure before trying to clean it off. So I went out tonight to look at it and it still squishy with areas that are still wet/tacky. I am giving thought to just using regular silicone.

#11 ·
Just an FYI

Just an FYI. I like Loctite products so recently I decided to try their brand of "gasket maker". After doing installation I noticed this red stuff would not dry. I read the package and apparently you put a bead of it on one part and SPRAY AN ACTIVATOR on the adjoining part so that once you put it together the activator (or hardener as it seems to be compared to) mixes with the red loctite and reacts with it to set it up as a gasket making compound.

My mistake for not reading the back. I always used permatex and it was hanging beside it so I thought, what the heck.... MY BAD

Just an FYI for those who haven't run into that problem with the Loctite brand sealers.

#12 ·
Permatex - Grey, tried & true. I have NEVER had to go back & re-do. Now that I've said that the next one will leak like a sieve LOL.
Good Luck!

#17 ·
So, I have done a lot of research on this. And even though I have ordered permatex gasket maker #2. I am going to go and buy permatex ultra black. On permatex's website it even states that this is good for intake manifold end seals. It supposedly sets up in 20 minutes and is fully cired in 24 hours. They also have a product specifically for thermostat housings and water pumps that I plan to use around the manifold water jackets. Hopefully using these products and allowing ample cure time will work. I have done this same job numerous times on other engines (but never a 385 series) and never had issues. I used to always use blue rtv and never had any issies. THis time I try to do it correctly and by the book and this crap happens...oh well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.