460 Ford Forum banner

What power steering boxes will work on 1965 F-100 pick-ups?

27K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  davejyd 
#1 ·
I recently aquired a 1965 F-100 with manual steering and would like to change it to power as the truck is quite hard to steer. The p/o installed a 400/C-6 in it that has power steering pump on it and just looped the lines for right now, I would like to change this. The manual box looks similar to 70's era 4wd box with pitman arm switched 180 degrees but the salvage yard interchange book doesnt go back that far.

#3 ·
the chassis did change. im not sure what 460vega is talking about and i have a 69 f100 2WD, btw 2wd and 4wd DO NOT use the same box. if i were you i would check out fordification.com they are all about 67-72 trucks BUT they know what will fit on what, and if they dont know they can tell you who does or a site thats all about your truck.

#4 ·
Did not specify 2 or 4wd,I am only talking about 2wd,I dont know about 4wd. I changed brakes and steering from a 78 on to my 68 f100, my brother did the same to his 65 f100, in 80 they changed & wont fit but the 78 stuff was a simple bolt in deal.

#11 ·
wrong THE 9" rearend is the same i have springs and rearend out of a 65 under my 69f100 the springs are heavier out of the 65 than what came in mine. If you have the twin i-beam the steering box should be the same. You can call the local part store and ask for a manual box for the 65 and then ask for 67 manual box if it shows the same than any 2wd steering box from 67-79 should work.67-72 has the same rear as the 62-65 the 73-79 the spring hanger plates is welded on the rearend different because the frames at the rear is different

#6 ·
One of the trucks I had, that I still wish I never sold was a 65 F100. It started life as a 352/3 on the tree. It was a 2wd. Got a 75 F150 PS steering box, pump and hoses from the junk yard. The PS pump even had a cooler on it all factory Ford. Was a bolt on to the 65. The 65 1/2 ton brakes were wimpy so I got the brake booster, proportioning valve, spindles, calipers too. Bought new lines, hoses, kingpins and a master. Bam.....front dics brakes. Got the baking plates and drums off the 75 also for the wider rear brakes. Major league difference in stopping power. Freshened up a 67 428 out of a t-bird with a CJ cam, intake, carb and headers. Got a auto steering colum and and a shift kit in the C6 and 3:91's out back. Sorry for the rant, but I really had fun traveling/vacationing the country in the truck and towing my old 57 ranchero drag car all over. Me and the wife sleeping in the back on the old air mattress. Those when the days. Being the old fart I'am now, its the motorhome only now. I remember passing all them Winnies and such back then going up the highest mountain passes with power to spare. Man I loved that truck.

#8 ·
One of the trucks I had, that I still wish I never sold was a 65 F100. It started life as a 352/3 on the tree. It was a 2wd. Got a 75 F150 PS steering box, pump and hoses from the junk yard. The PS pump even had a cooler on it all factory Ford. Was a bolt on to the 65. The 65 1/2 ton brakes were wimpy so I got the brake booster, proportioning valve, spindles, calipers too. Bought new lines, hoses, kingpins and a master. Bam.....front dics brakes. Got the baking plates and drums off the 75 also for the wider rear brakes. Major league difference in stopping power.
Thats what I am saying, it all bolts up,the I beams are longer but you don`t haveto change them, just the box.

#7 ·
Thank you for replies the truck is 2wd and looks to have a dana 60 rearend or maybe a 44 but definitly not a nine. It has 5on5 bolt pattern and is the original rearend. I never knew ford used 5 lug dana 60's in any truck. the truck was originally a floor shift deal. The floors are shot and need to be replaced so far I cant find the firewall pieces that are rotted out but can get everything else for it. I didnt want a huge project with the truck as I already have one of those with my 2000 but couldnt resist the deal on it as the exterior is really quite good with only needing cab corners and the front lower corner pieces of the bed patched.

#10 ·
Would the mid 70's column also work as the turn signals dont work either on this truck? If the column is colapsable I could maybe just shove it up a little bit? Totally new to this era truck.

#12 ·
The steering column fits easy too ,the wiring plug is a different shape, but the color codes are the same,you`ll have an extra wire or two on the column for the flashers I didn`t use them on mine because the flasher switch in the glove box worked ok.

#14 ·
Hmm looks like I am going junk yard hopping this weekend I love doing that once in awhile. There is a salvage yard that has a 66 with good floors I might just buy the whole thing I need to go check it out again. I definitely like the idea of dual master cylinder and front discs with power steering. I did some measuring and this would be easy to make a fat tire drag truck:confused:. I measured the wheelwell lip to frame and there is 21 inches wow.:D

#15 ·
I NEVER SAID THE BOX NEVER BOLTED ON, i was just saying that a lot is different and i didn't want you to just take some ones word for it, better to do the research and find out for yourself and not regret it later. know what im saying? and 69f100 you are wrong on this one, yes the 9" housing will fit or whatever but its not as strong, it will only hold about 350hp unlike the later 9" that's good for 500hp.

#16 ·
bbfhnj you never said anything about the 3rd members here is what you saiD

(heck the 9'' rear isn't even the same as the 67- and up 9". I KNOW the 65 f100 2wd frames are not the same as the 67-72 is not even the same WIDTH.)

( WIDTH IS WHAT YOU SAID)

most of the 67-72 3rd members 28 spline where 73-79 had 31 spline AND YES THEY ARE A FEW 67-72 that had 31 spline and I have bust both in mine that is why I know the 9" will fit out of a 65 because that it what i got mine out of when i bust the 31 spline it mess the housing up to and it was from 525hp 351 clev. So just me I don't think any will hold 500hp with out being built first if they are used and are factory

and that all i have to say about it

#18 ·
IMHO,

The reason is it so difficult is because you have a power steering box without power.

Check out this link:

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fb/full.aspx?Page=95

Buy a manual steering box. It will be easier to turn and you'll lose all the clutter of the power steering stuff.

If it still seems hard to turn, then it's time to hit the gym and start working out your arms. :cool:

Again IMHO,

Dave

#19 ·
Not saying anything wrong with yours just stating the 9'' out of the late 60's will fit yours if you have to have one.Is your 3/4 ton or half ton the only ones I have seen with the dana in them had the 8 lug wheels not saying they didn't put them in them by no means. Sorry about the rant on the rearend deal should have just kept my mouth shut but didn't just didn't want you to be miss informed on what would fit and wouldn't.

#20 · (Edited)
It is 5 on 5 which really surprised me to see the rearend that is under there. The truck has a manual box not a power unit. The thing is hard to turn first I thought maybe kingpins going bad but got under to check them and they are new, I have driven trucks with manual steering before and never had to work as hard to turn them. The p/o owner installed a 400 with the p/s pump on it (the engine) but the box is a manual unit. The truck looks to be an abandon project as there are lots of new parts on it and lots of bad ones. It has all new brakes but bad tie rod on one side has newer engine rebuilt C-6 but no work done to the rusted out floors. I traded my pos 81 chevy straight across for the truck that I have basically no money in. I did the trade at night and kinda regret that as I hate dealing with rust but hey if I can resurrect an old ford then all the better. :confused:

I will try to get pics of the rearend to post as I thought only dodges ever had 5-lug dana 60's but then it should have right hand and left hand studs and it doesnt.

#24 ·
It is 5 on 5 which really surprised me to see the rearend that is under there. The truck has a manual box not a power unit. The thing is hard to turn first I thought maybe kingpins going bad but got under to check them and they are new, I have driven trucks with manual steering before and never had to work as hard to turn them. The p/o owner installed a 400 with the p/s pump on it (the engine) but the box is a manual unit. :confused:
I would try lifting the front of the truck and stick blocks under the axle. Lower the truck, so the weight is being supported by the axle but with the wheels off the ground. Try turning left and right. If it is still difficult then disconnect the steering linkage and see how each knuckle turns. You have to investigate to see what is going on.

Hope that helps,

Dave

#21 ·
I will try to get pics of the rearend to post as I thought only dodges ever had 5-lug dana 60's but then it should have right hand and left hand studs and it doesnt.[/QUOTE]

They may have changed them out my Dad when he would get one like that with the lefty treads the left and righty went in.

#22 ·
Hmm looks like I am going junk yard hopping this weekend I love doing that once in awhile. There is a salvage yard that has a 66 with good floors I might just buy the whole thing I need to go check it out again. I definitely like the idea of dual master cylinder and front discs with ........................................

Mine had a rusty floor and cab mounts (even into the kick panels where the vents are) too while the rest of the body was pretty much rust free. I found a Texas cab, sandblasted the floor top and bottom and the lower door jambs. Rechaulked all the seams and it turned out great. If I remember correctly, there was only 4 body mounts on the cab so I figured I would spend more time welding in floors than switching the cab. Maybe that 66 cab can be had cheap. On the rear, as others are thinking, it was most likely switched out as I have never see a 1/2ton 65 with a dana. 9"er's only.

#23 ·
Mine is exactly the same way kick panels rusted too the p/o stuck speaker wires through the holes to run to the doors.:eek: I am waiting on a couple people to call me back that are supposed to have rust free cabs cheap but noone has called yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.