460 Ford Forum banner

how much $$ for 500hp

27K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  truckpuller460 
#1 ·
im still trying to decide if im going to build my mud truck bigger or get a fox body but either one will be bbf powerd aiming for 500hp. how much should the motor coast. il need the machine shop to do the block but il do the rest. will i need after market heads?

#2 ·
If all you want is 500 HP a nice set of D3VE-A2A's should do nicely. Go to the Mad Porters site and see how to port those heads. He charges 25 bucks for the info. It will be worth it. If you can find a nice rebuildable core cheap, use the rods & crank I'm betting you can get it built for $3000 to $3500 on the cheap. Maybe the core will already have the D3's on them. But if you have some doe to spend. Why only 500 HP? :D

#10 ·
If all you want is 500 HP a nice set of D3VE-A2A's should do nicely. Go to the Mad Porters site and see how to port those heads. He charges 25 bucks for the info. It will be worth it. If you can find a nice rebuildable core cheap, use the rods & crank I'm betting you can get it built for $3000 to $3500 on the cheap. Maybe the core will already have the D3's on them. But if you have some doe to spend. Why only 500 HP? :D
I think he had a slight increase in the price... it's about $29.95 now.
Tom

#7 ·
Shopping for good deals is an excellent idea, but D0VE heads aren't required for 500hp, D3VEs will work just fine with the right piston selection.

If you plan to use stock bracketry for your alternator and power steering, etc, it is a good idea to get a complete engine. If you are not planning on a stroker kit, find a 460 as opposed to a 429, simply due to better piston selections available. Read here and become informed, make a plan and stick to it, don't buy stuff just because it is cheap. Legit deals are out there, but make sure that your purchases all work together to get to your goals.

Tom

#11 ·
If you don't mind grinding iron on exhaust ports for 60 hours and can find reasonable machine shop rates then it can be done for around 3500.00 or so. When I did mine I already had a good running core though. Main thing is making whatever heads you use flow well on the exhaust side and making minor improvements to the intake side. Get a subscription from http://www.reincarnation-automotive.com/ to learn about these things. He also does porting work, and sells improved castings too. I studied the site for years before I had the time and money to do mine, and it paid off big for me. With the porting work in place, you can make your 500 hp but the engine will be able to support alot more if needed. don't overlook the important things like the distributor curve. Good luck with it!!

#12 ·
i am not gonna knock the guys that work on iron heads or have had luck using them. however, i do not regret getting alum heads. they flow well out of the box, aid in detonation control, come with decent spring package, decent size valves, weigh less, and more importantly are a no brainer. to me good heads are the starting point and is the one place not to be a cheap ***. bobn

#21 ·
if you watch what you do you can build a fairly big motor resonable. last year I built a 557 with dove heads ported for alum cobra jet intake, stroker kit, all new everything, put in roller cam this year. approx 15 to 1 compression and 650 hp. total build 5000.00 put the engine together my self

#28 ·
I have a 1989 460 efi, I plan on doing the following mods. What hp do you guys think I will be at? Looking to be around that 500hp range too. Any other mods you guys think I should do as well?

•Edelbrock performer RMP 460 aluminum cylinder heads with 95cc combustion chamber and run about 9:1 compression
•Comp Cam XE262H 218/224 duration and 513/520 lift
•Weiand's Stealth intake manifold
•750 cfm carb

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.