460 Ford Forum banner

New 72 cc Aluminium Heads??

5K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  MrScharfenberger 
#1 ·
I'm trying to help out TrustTheRef. You can read the theread he started "460 Foxbody". He is going to use the stock bottom end out of a 1995 F-350. His goal is 500 HP. He whould like to get the compression in at around 10:1. I have done a little research and it looks like the pistons in that motor are a -24.4 cc dish. Can anybody confirm this for us? He would like a nice set of heads to go on the motor. It looks like if I am correct about the cc of the pistion dish a 72 cc chamber head would bring him in at about 9.7:1 compression (give or take a couple of tenths depending on if the block has been decked or not). I forgot the mention that the bottom end is a rebuilt Jasper motor. Does anybody know of any new aluminium heads with the 72 cc chamber. It looks like most of the Trick Flow's & Edelbrocks are 75 cc. I'd really like him to get the SCJ-B heads from Lem. But I know those take special pistions. I was hoping since he will be using a stock dish pistons with a realatively small cam to make the 500 HP that the SCJ-B heads would work without having to have the special pistons. Can anybody confirm or deny this? Any light you could shed would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

#3 ·
The builder pistons in a jasper engine will be about 22 to 24 cc's dish. SCJ's will work with a cam a bit bigger than I used. I have well over .150" piston to valve clearance on the stock 11 cc dished oem 69 pistons. This with a small voodoo 219/227 with 1.8 high tech comp rockers.

With as cast SCJ heads you will need 9.5 to 1 static c/r and a comp XE274H cam to make your 500 HP with 9.5 to 1 static c/r.

:D

#4 ·
I'm trying to help out TrustTheRef. You can read the theread he started "460 Foxbody". He is going to use the stock bottom end out of a 1995 F-350. His goal is 500 HP. He whould like to get the compression in at around 10:1. I have done a little research and it looks like the pistons in that motor are a -24.4 cc dish. Can anybody confirm this for us? He would like a nice set of heads to go on the motor. It looks like if I am correct about the cc of the pistion dish a 72 cc chamber head would bring him in at about 9.7:1 compression (give or take a couple of tenths depending on if the block has been decked or not). I forgot the mention that the bottom end is a rebuilt Jasper motor. Does anybody know of any new aluminium heads with the 72 cc chamber. It looks like most of the Trick Flow's & Edelbrocks are 75 cc. I'd really like him to get the SCJ-B heads from Lem. But I know those take special pistions. I was hoping since he will be using a stock dish pistons with a realatively small cam to make the 500 HP that the SCJ-B heads would work without having to have the special pistons. Can anybody confirm or deny this? Any light you could shed would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
1995? That's an EFI engine and the pistons should have a 15cc dish.

SCJ-B heads have springs for roller cams. You'll want the SCJ-A version if you plan to use SCJ's.

Lastly, the ONLY aluminum head with stock non-CJ ports in stock locations is the Edelbrock head. What sort of intake and headers does he plan to run?

#6 ·
When you say this you are referring to the SCJ-A valve springs on the SCJ-B heads correct? Or were you saying that he needs the SCJ-A head? I'm thinking that you mean the prior but I want to make sure.

He could always get the SCJ-B bare heads and dress them out himself with springs that match the specific cam that he goes with.

With 3 senior members answering this post I feel pretty good about it. The SCJ-B heads seem to be the way to go. Assuming I am correct about the valve spring swap in the above question. They are hard to beat for the low cost and flow some really good numbers right out of the box. AND they are about $1000 less than the TrickFlow's that I've looked at. He should be able hit 500 HP (or a good bit more) blind folded.

Thanks for the great info guys!!

#5 ·
My bad i misread that as 1985...

Carl is right. IF they are the EFI pistons for that year the dish will be 15 cc's and the pistons will sit about .015" below deck.

Since the combo is a jasper rebuild I would measure the depth of the dish. If the dish is .240" then the cc's are about 24 if the dish is .180 then the dish is 15 cc. Also note the deck height.

A standard performer rpm intake will easily support 500 HP and more though with a fox body a torquer 2 is not a bad choice either.

:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.