460 Ford Forum banner

Truck Guys: 1974 F250 Highboy Value?

15K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  superduty79 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm being offered this truck by a friend who is looking to move it quickly. My intention is to help him out/get him his cash, and then just resell the truck (with his blessing).

I don't know a lot about the value of trucks like these and was hoping its value could be ball-parked by you truck experts with what little info I have about it. If I am to provide financial assistance to my friend, I just want to be reasonaly certain I'll get my money back out of it. Please nevermind what I'm being asked to pay....I really just want to know what it might be worth, low and high. Here's what I know:
  • 1974 F250 Highboy
  • Originally a 360 FE V8, Borg Warner 4-speed, divorced xfer case, I forget what the rear end is.
  • Truck is mostly original; the 360 is a replacement and runs well.
  • Front differential replaced with a mid-1980's diff that has front disk brakes.
  • Really nice hand-made rear bumper with all kinds of towing hookups all around it.
  • Really nice hand-made gas tank skid plate
  • Five nice steel wheels with five brand new mudder tires.
  • Drives and brakes straight, pretty much everything works except for one gas tank (needs a tank switch or somethinng like that)
  • The cheapo repaint is all there but dull. One side of the truck has some body filler along the lower rocker panel, but there is no rust to speak of other than typical "road grime surface rust."
I might try craigslist, might put it on eBay. Thoughts on possible value?

Thanks for your help on this.

Paul

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
I don't know much about the U.S. market, but I would expect to see $2500-$4000 here... My research leads me to believe that these trucks are worth more here, and less in the South. All of our trucks rusted away before they became desirable, you guys don't really have that problem.

See me first, when you decide to part with it!

Derek.

#7 ·
I have a 77 high boy which I've had since new. The divorced transfer case model is sought after by quite a few people for a good project truck. I still get crazy offers. I would try here....http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum38/ Good luck with your good will act.

#8 ·
IMHO The worth of the Highboy F-250 depends on condition and location Paul. Sounds like à solid 40 year old body and an overall usable ole 4x4. In my area these go anywhere from $1500. for a piece of crap, to perhaps $4000. for a user/cruiser. Without looking the truck over this is only a guess but I Don't think one could get hurt to bad at $2500-$3000. Could be more or less depending on location and condition.

#9 ·
Thanks to everyone for the replies, I gained some insight. As is often the case, overall value seems to be determined by a number of additional factors such as location, etc...just like a D0VE block, or a core engine, and so on.

Based on the feedback (range value) in this thread, I came up with a detailed proposal that provides him with an immediate, partial payment that keeps his head above the water for the time being, and then something more down the road based on the selling price of the truck. This way, we both take a small risk and friendships don't get weird over an infinitesimal amount of cash.

Thanks very much to all of you for your feedback and insight,

Paul

#10 · (Edited)
IMO the truck would be worth the same with original front axle be it a d44 or d60 closed knuckle. They could be found cheap, and the HP 60 in it could be sold off. Pretty big market for them.
Easy way for your friend to gain $500 on top of cost with only some work invested. If more money was needed its an option.
Food for thought.

every time I've tried to buy one the 360 magically became a 390. Lol.

#11 · (Edited)
It turns out this truck is a 1975 model; there's also a Bureau of Automotive (BAR) tag on the door jam that shows the 1974 360 was installed (BAR tags would specify that the vehicle should now be smogged to 1974 specs in this case...back when smog testing was required for pre-1976 vehicles in CA).

Did this truck's original axle have front disc brakes? I thought the disc brakes were the reason for the later axle. Whatever the case it drives great...

#12 ·
I "THINK" the 75F250 4X4 had discs, I know the 4X2 did. I know the 150s had disk but maybe the 250 didn't start till 76. My early 77 does but it's basically a carry over 76 with odd parts thrown on during assembly to make it a 77.

#13 ·
I just found this:

"Highboys had drum brakes on all wheels (1967-1975), or a combination of
front disc brakes and rear drum brakes (1976-1977.5). Highboys had either
manual brakes (1967-1977.5) or optional power brakes (1973-1977.5)."

So I suppose they had drum brakes in 1975. I can understand how the 2x4 would have had disc braks in 1975 while the 4x4 didn't. I had a 1974 Powerwagon with drum brakes and the 1974 2x4 Dodge truck had discs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.