460 Ford Forum banner

Project 12.99 LTD finally...

161K views 372 replies 73 participants last post by  MrScharfenberger 
#1 · (Edited)
Well after selling off 3 engines I have built for this car I am finally going to install a big block in her.

I had a 70K mile unmolested C9 lincoln 460 which was essentially a good runner with no bore wear or inappropriate wear anywhere excepting the timing set which still had the nylon teeth on the cam gear. Decided to build an engine with parts lying around the shop so here is what I have"

Block decked .012" to set pistons .002 out of the bore

Stock C9 pistons with 11 cc dish. Will notch for large valves.

Reringed and a quick hone to freshen the straight cylinder bores.

Polished crank and select fit .001" clevite bearings

Paul Kane modded std volume oil pump.

Voodoo cam 219/227 on a 110 with mid 500" s lift ground with 4 degrees advance. Installed 1 degree advanced to 105 ICL. (Cam and lifter set free courtesy of my cam grinder.)

1.8 ratio comp high teck stainless roller rockers for .560" / .582" final lift

RPM intake gasket matched to felpro std gasket.

Edelbrock large chamber heads fully ported concentrating on good flow under .600" lift, decked .060" and .030" off of the intake side. 10.1 to 1 final C/R with an 8.8 to 1 DCR. (Thank you for the good deal Dave Ohagin) 330/233 cfm @ .600" lift. Squish grooves.

Holley 750 reworked by bobby at competition carbs. choke tower removed, rear metering block added, emulsion circuits reworked, air bleeds set up for this combo, quick change vac sec dashpot cover. Flows 820 cfm with down leg boosters that have been massaged and have a shear ledge.
Summit high volume mechanical fuel pump. Vehicle has 3/8" fuel lines and a 5/16" return

Dual snorkle 5.0 HO aircleaner with K&N filter ducted to cool air on sides of radiator.

Headers TBD either 6126 hookers or FPA headers.

3" X pipe and magnaflows with 2.5" tail pipes

B&M holeshot 2400 stall convertor purchased from a forum member thank you Andy M!!! Killer deal.
3.25 or 3.5 gears with trak loc. Already have 2.75 trak loc 9" now just need to change gears.

With a full iron 400 and a/c she weighed 4320 pounds. Should come in at around 4150 with all a/c removed and the aluminum heads, intake and water pump on the 460.

I am going to conservatively estimate HP at 460 and torque at 510.

I may change the cam to an EX solid flat tappet 230/236 @ .050 .584" / .600" lift ground again on a 110 because of the 1.8 rockers. would be 109 with std rockers.

The idea as the name states is to run 12.99 at about 105+ mph. Traction will be a huge problem I know...

:D

Attachments

See less See more
#167 ·
No...

I know stan johnson at ford powertrain applications.

I met THEE STAN of stans headers in Auburn WA. at our goodguys car show last week end. Stan Fuller is his name.

I mistakenly though they were one and the same however they are not.

#168 ·
Mickey Thompson ET Street Drag radials arrived early Whohoo....

Ok tires are here and rims are ordered....

12" of tire and 13" of wheel well... Perfect fit with an 8" wide rim with 4" backspacing.

I hope these will launch this cow...

P.S. Kitten was not included in the purchase price. :D

:D :D :D :D :D

Attachments

#172 ·
When you have a business to run and are ensuring everyone else can get to the track in a timely manner guess who has to wait???

Not to mention the costs involved even at WD to get this project together...

#176 ·
i mounted a set of 295x55x15 on a 8" rim and come up short. on a 8" weld the section is 11 3/8" and a 275x60x15 on the same rim is 11 1/8". but the thread is 3/8 wiider when talking with MT i was told the side wall height on the 275 being taller lets them work alittle better. but there is not any size gain using the 8" rim when i measure them or very little

#177 ·
I have got some serious cruise miles on old girl and the tires hook very well.

On the street with no heat up she will hook hard above about 10 MPH where before anything below 35 mph was useless. The press you in the seat feeling is awsome.

On another note I am having a minor problem with my #5 exhaust lobe. Sorry to say but after about 1400 miles I am slowly gaining lash. I have not opened the engine yet however we all know whats happened :(

Long story short, here is what is going to happen with a combination of courtesy parts from my cam grinder and some shelf parts I have:

Hydraulic roller 224/232 on a 110
Solid roller lifters running about .004" lash
26120 beehive springs, retainers and locks
Steel dizzy gear.
1.8 hi tek stainless comp rockers...

After consulting with Randy Malik, our line of thinking was similar on specs, he was able to confirm my suspicions on viability and the potential increase in both rpm band and hp. About 18 to 20 HP and 300 more usuable rpm which will work perfectly with my convertor and gear.

I will keep you all posted.

#178 ·
Scotty great news on the traction side of things, the pull back seat deal is always awesome you will have to install a video camera to get the look on peoples faces when you hammer it.lol

What was the deal with the exhaust lobe, did you have a tick or did you just happen to be checking you lash settings? On one hand it sucks but on the other it is nice to be able to dial it in just a bit more so that is good so to speak.

D

#182 · (Edited)
Seems I have a target on my back of late... Lol... Anyway,

I have not been to the track yet. I hope to get there before the season ends however given my work load I am not sure that will happen.

I have not opened the engine yet and only driven it sporadically since i discovered the additional lash.

Funny thing is she still runs like a cat with a fire under its tail.

I will share what I find when I tear down for inspection. I caught this very early so any potential issues will be minimal.

In the end I am kind of excited to test out the viability of a juice roller grind with solid roller lifters and the beehive springs.

Attachments

#186 ·
10.99 to be precise.
I am using 92 octane pump gas with excellent results.
Tight quench, polished chambers etc with no hiccups...

The scj or p-51 heads will tolerate higher dcr because of the chambers dual quench design vs the single quench bath tub chambers the other iron and aluminum offerings have. I only need 28 degrees total timing for best power.

Cranking PSI is 220 plus.

#187 · (Edited)
Everything I have said was 100% inappropriate and would like to apologize for all of my actions. Scotty is a first class businessman and I would be proud to have him do work for me. I will never post anything negative again, as I was warned repeatedly by the site admins and I ignored them... and therefore my account was taken over this post was made on my behalf!

;)

#188 ·
Finall found one.

Guess what I managed to find and purchase with the help of a forum member. Thanxx PSquare.

Genuine NOS POLICE SPEC 140 mph Speedo. Woohoo...

When you want something as bad as I did this $100.00 was cheap imo...

Attachments

#190 ·
Guess what I managed to find and purchase with the help of a forum member. Thanxx PSquare.

Genuine NOS POLICE SPEC 140 mph Speedo. Woohoo...

When you want something as bad as I did this $100.00 was cheap imo...
Wow that looks friggin BRAND NEW!!! I wouldn't imagine any of that stuff still existed?!?!? Makes you wonder how long that sat on a shelf forgotten!

Car just keeps getting better and better! Can't wait to see what it does with the new cam!
This coming summer should be a FUN one!!

Is the chassis pretty much dialed in now?

#189 ·
I see from your pics that you are running blue thunder V/C, I was wondering if you are running the double gasket for clearance for the rocker arms? I am thinking about buying a set of those but they dont hardly look as tall as factory stamped covers and I have .6 intake lift, it barely clears stock covers without gasket actualy ground back end of intake rocker to get better clearance, if this makes a diffrence I have Edelbrock heads, just concerned that they won't fit if I buy them, but they certainly look great on your ride.]
How does that summit mechanical pump keep up with your amount HP? Thanks for all your info and keep the updates coming!

#191 ·
Good luck finding a pair of them as i have been looking for a client for months.

I had to double gasket because I changed to larger diameter valve springs and the valve cover bolt relief was being scraped by the retainer. I had to clearance it as well as cut down the retainer slightly. With the SCJ-A spring package this was not a problem however the baffle is very close to the rockers as well and I had to clearance it. The lobe that failed had the comp high tek stainless rocker hitting the baffle at max lift of .584".

The tall motorsports and procomp copies do not have either of these issues.

#193 ·
nice job on the speedo! I sold a used 140 MPH 70's LTD spedo for 140$

Just beef up the rear springs a lil now for solid launch.

Nice to see you went with the 295's on the back, guess you do read my posts ;)
Like I said, MT-295's fit PERFECTLY in my ride..

NOW, im anxious to see what you run..

Mine is a BEST of 13.61 (with highway gear, and low compression ie:9-1, 4 door Police package), so im sure youll pull an 12 flat or possibly an 11.9.... :cool:

#196 · (Edited)
Cam is NOT Damaged. Lifter plunger failure...

The pic kind of says it all...

Proceeding with installation of hydraulic roller cam with SOLID roller lifters.

224/234 / 110 +4 center 4 cylinders
228/234 / 112 +4 corner 4 cylinders

Lift with 1.8 rockers .600" intake and .620" exhaust.

26120 comp cams beehive spring package.

7122 comp timing set with torrington bearing.

Cam degreed in at +1 additional for chain stretch...

Cam grinder has not ever seen this type of failure nor have I.

A 950 hp is currently being built since the modded 750 flowing 840 cfm was pulling 1.6" of vacuum at peak HP WOT

>

Attachments

#199 ·
Roller cam core is steel. The HFT cam was iron and a regrind of a BB ford core.

#198 · (Edited)
First walk around. Worked Friday 11 to 8 and sat 11 to 10:15

Remember I had to install a steel dizzy gear.
Install, set installed height on the 26120 beehive springs, check each for full lift bind as my cam was a tic over the .600" lift max. Doing this in the vehicle was a pain in the azz...

Start up was uneventful or should I say routine. The no cam break in was a definite plus.

The pull to red line and into the rev limiter is much faster than before. Valve train is more stable imo. The idle burble is kind of unusual IMO. The phone microphone is a bit overwhelmed by the sounds...

https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=4641518563271

#201 · (Edited)
#206 ·
For the time being I converted to the largest HD 3" wide rear drum brakes I could find and have the HD SW sized drums with the oversized cooling fins.

To be frank I had not considered a disc conversion but it is a good idea no doubt !!!

Under very hard braking the rear brakes tend to try to lock up which is unnerving.

I have iron metallic pads up front.

S

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.