460 Ford Forum banner

Any resonable priced pistons for SCJ heads?

14K views 51 replies 15 participants last post by  Duane 
#1 ·
Is there a reasonable priced pistons out there for these heads? I'm not looking to set the world on fire, just a decent bracket set-up, around 10.5 compression.

#6 ·
Ill have to find it but. I do remember reading a thread where someone was running. I believe 22 cc probes in a stock stroke 460 and SCJ heads.i think he was running mid 600 lift ... Moral of the story is he said he DID NOT have to cut new reliefs and had around .090 PTV clearance with a 040 head gasket ..... No personal experience with it ... As I said. It's a story. Just food for thought. Ill see if I can't find it

#7 · (Edited)
Send the pistons you have to a knowledgeable about Fords automotive machine shop and have the notches installed into them. Just like the 460 FRPP crate motors with SCJ heads.

That is as CHEAP as you will ever get, (with shipping and everything it will still cost about 150 bucks or so), but, you won't have NEW pistons; just ones which work with those heads.

As Lem said ... REASONABLE is defined differently and ones priorities will usually decide.

#9 ·
Cheapest is to rent (if they still do) a valve notching tool and cut them in the block. Having a shop cut the notches does not need to cost a $150. I'd see if there is a local shop around that can do it. Cost usually is under $100. There are competent shops and not so competent shops both on and off the internet. Just need to find a good one.

You also can get the pistons and check everything for cam clearance. The piston Imp mentioned is very inexpensive for a forged piston. Really have to check everything first.

#8 · (Edited)
I can't use these pistons much longer, I'm going to try to stretch this season out of them. They are over 20 years old, and the first time it broke a valve (about 20 years ago), the head came off the valve and went through most of the other cylinders. It broke another this weekend, but it broke at the lock and only nicked the piston. So, they are not in good shape... I guess I really need to look at a stroker kit, since the cost doesn't seem too bad if I'm going to rebuild it anyway. Or, I may try the Probes, since I will probably run about a .570 cam anyway. I bought these heads new over 10 years ago, so I guess I can wait a little longer to use them....Just a slow bracket car...

#11 · (Edited)
I think we would prefer that you make a 1.77CD, 1.040 pin, 460 piston with SCJ reliefs and a dish for 10.5:1 compression. 4032 material, press-fit only, 5/64-5/64-3/16 ring pack, like the FPS 460 piston you have (with similar pricing) would sell like hot cakes, imho.

;)

#19 · (Edited)
okay might as well go for it....ban me or what ever. you guys with your sky is the limit and your expensive part stuff or nothing is all crap. how many of you guys actually live on a working mans income? do you have a car that you scrounged for? some that offer advice don't seem to even have a car, guys that sell stuff, you got a car? did you personally build it or did the people working in your place of business do it for you? ,,,bob

as pointed out before I am not of your caliber, and glad for it....

#21 · (Edited)
To clear this up , I'm not trying to start a fight in either direction... I do to a point agree with you zepher....some of the builders have alot higher budget on their projects... But you also have to remember. Without their "money,time,and Dedication" alot of us including me wouldn't know have the things that we do..they have had the experience/trial and error to halfway guide us.... Yes, some may get a little flustered when Divert from what they may suggest... Iam one of them that went my own way even thought I was suggested so Great idea from members on this site...NO DISREPEcT TO THEM... some people are able to put more money into their projects than others....I'm one of the ones on the luckier side... Ill put this out here and ill be wondering what kinda thought will be running through people minds but.... In my motor alone. I have right around $12,000 tied up into this motor for a Measly 6-650 hp.... Yes I know it can be done for half that price... But I also built it so I can upgrade later on ....as I said. I'm lucky. I went into this build with no real budget...but I put some of the pieces together the way I did just to experiment and hopefully help some people out later down the road as to if it works or not. I beefed up parts that I really didn't need to and spent more on sh1t that I could of got away with alot less ..........i guess what im trying to say zephyr.... I don't believe that any of the builders have something against budget builds... I think they feel that something's they may not agree with due to experience with that part or just personal choice.... I'm just saying this in general... But I've seen people skimp in places they should have and it cost em a motor....me personal rings are not a place I wouldnt be shy with money on

Some of you gentleman may be familiar with my build

http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162443

#27 ·
Some reasons for me being cheap is I have too many hobbies, from fishing to RC car and airplane racing, among other money wasters... I also want a low maintenance deal too, I don't get home from work until 7:00 every night, doesn't leave time for maintenance. That's why i like hyd cams, low horse power, it doesn't break alot behind the flywheel. This car gets double-teched by my daughter each race, so it gets plenty of passes, and I want it to run on 93 pump gas. I already have aftermarket 6.605 rods.

One thing I've also looked at is strokers. When pistons are around $700.00, and a crank needs machined, then all the other related parts purchased, the price really isn't that bad. Then the compression choices are better. I hope this one will make it through the season, then I can decide what to do this winter, may have another choice on pistons by then.

#32 · (Edited)
Well is some good to this piston other than just having wider head options. Will be nice for the builders, one less piston to inventory as can be used with both valve layouts not to mention can sell a short block that has more applications covered.

The other nice thing is it has a 15cc dish which is about right for a small chamber head and 10:1 CR

The bad part of this piston is it still has a 1.756" compression height which means to have a zero deck you need to cut the deck down to 10.286". This piston is basically no different than the P2404F piston, except for the added valve relief and less CC's in the dish.

Is a shame they left it down in the deck like a rebuilder piston is and kept that 5/64" ring package. Yes you can get cheaper rings in a 5/64, but ring seal and tension are two important deals when it comes to making power.

For those wondering what your CR will be with a 10.300" deck which is very common and is what you see most all the performance pistons made to here are the numbers with a .030" overbore, .042" gasket and pistons .014" down in the hole.

72cc 10.42
75cc 10.15
78cc 9.98
88cc 9.13
92cc 8.86
95cc 8.68

#35 ·
It will take a bit of time for the word to get out there to people wanting a "street/strip" type engine built.
I know that I will use them when I can.

#38 ·
No 429 Guys WTF, LoL

Yes I know, we are a dying breed. That is why I did not go forged, because TRW 429 off the shelf pistons where $400 back in 1995 and have not come down sense. You are right no demand is the problem. So how much are the Probes pictured, with the dual valve cuts, and how much do they weigh in the 466 .030" version? At least 460 cast cranks or cheap.

#39 ·
Yes I know, we are a dying breed. That is why I did not go forged, because TRW 429 off the shelf pistons where $400 back in 1995 and have not come down sense. You are right no demand is the problem. So how much are the Probes pictured, with the dual valve cuts, and how much do they weigh in the 466 .030" version? At least 460 cast cranks or cheap.
Weight is about 665 grams. (don't have exact right now because we're moving and the scale is packed).

Here's a link to the vendor section with pricing: http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1077913#post1077913

#41 ·
Thanks Carl. Sorry I missed the pricing in the previous post. Thats a pretty good price too, for today's inflated money, and you won't have to mess with the short block when you switch heads, so they will almost halfway pay for themself to start with and save alot of hassel too boot. Are still getting rid of your core cranks and stuff?

#44 · (Edited)
What a shame on the old crankshafts and other parts that died.
Well I didn't haul all of them for scrap, just the overflow. I always keep a number of cranks, heads, blocks and other parts in reserve. Of the cranks that were recycled, most were 429's, which really pains me because nobody makes them anymore and nobody is ever going to make them again. :( I suppose somebody on the other end of the chain will make new stroker cranks out of them, so it's not all bad.

The vast majority of the engines that come through my hands are headed for the crusher anyhow, so I'm at least saving some of them from the smelter.

#51 · (Edited)
can we get these pistons in a flat top version ???
I can do dual relief flat tops right now, but not at this price point. It's unlikely that we'll be doing a large run of flat tops like these with dual reliefs as the compression when paired with SCJ heads would be more in line with a race oriented piston....meaning 2618 alloy, 1/16" rings, and a possible pin upgrade.

;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.