460 Ford Forum banner

ST 1200 Lenco / Anyone have any experience ?? Video inside

20K views 35 replies 13 participants last post by  beltfeed 
#1 ·
I have really been wanting to buy a 4 or 5 speed setup for my 62 Galaxie project. Something drivable yet durable enough to hold 900-1000hp. Anyone here use one or know someone who uses one??

Heres a link to a bad little small block fairlane that I copied from a friend of mines web site. The in car camera has really sold the deal for me and I have to have a clutch pedal for the 62 now.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Wicked-Fast-Ford_166416.htm

Thanks
Travis

#3 ·
Real race cars have 3 pedals................ 8)

Pissed off smallblocks are cool, I sundenly got the urge to go out in the shop and work on the 306 a bit.

If the coin is not an issue by all means stick the Lenco in it, not that your car needs anymore cool factor.

#5 ·
Travis,
That is one tuff car!!
Thanks for the video. 8)

I have bought a 4 speed Jerico for my
hot rod project, but am unsure of the
power capability of it?

If you get some info on the Lenco unit,
$$$ wise & streetability, let us know.

p.s i have also joined the Galaxie club :wink:
George

#9 ·
YYYOUCH, that car is stupid fast... Not that that's a bad thing... :D :D :D
Very cool...

Doug... 8)

#10 ·
TravisRice said:
Jerico said no way. Gave me a rough ball park combo of 3000lbs - 700 horse.

I will share whatever I find out guy's.

Travis
I ran a dr4 in a 3200 lb mustang with just over 800 rwhp. its all in the clutch. I used a cintered iron disc with an adjustable pressure plate. when you start running too much static pressure you will break it, so keep the pressure as light as you can and you'll have a blast banging gears.
oh yeah, my car was also a back halve car iwth 31x10.5 w's on it....
i did finally break third gear, but I had major tire shake on that run after a big wheelie.
on 28x10.5's I NEVER had an issue.

#12 ·
Here is the e-mail reply from Lenco answering some of my questions. 8)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Saturday, June 21, 2008 4:44 PM
To: lencomail@lencoracing.com
Subject: st1200

I am interested in your ST1200 street transmission.

I have a 62 Ford Galaxie that currently runs a 557 N/A BBF with a PG. The car runs 9.30's @ 147 and weighs roughly 3300lbs This car would see 70% track and 30% street and by that I mean 8-10 times a year actually at an event and probably closer to 500 street miles a year

What bell housing is required for this install?

Is the bell housing a custom depth??

What style clutch has most of your customers had good luck with or would you recommend??

When driving on the street you use the clutch like a normal car would but when racing do you use the clutch at all or is the trans clutch assisted ( bump the pedal) ??

I did not see any pricing , thus I know it probably is based on exactly what ratio gears you select. What would a ball park figure for a 4 and a 5 speed run me for the BBF setup??

Do you see any problems with the combo I would be putting this behind?? Or would you suggest stepping up to a regular full race unit??

Thank you in advance,

Travis Rice

10401 Hillcrest Drive

Cumberland, MD 21502

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello

The St1200 style units we sell will handle up to 1200 horsepower and will work in a street or strip setup. This unit will bolt up to any bell housing with a Chevy, ford or Chrysler bolt patterns. We tailor the input around your bell housing depth and clutch spline. We would recommend Ram or McLeod clutches and Lakewood on the bell housing. The clutch will be used only for starting and stopping and all up shifting is done at part throttle or full throttle and downshifting is done out of the throttle. The price on these units will run $4950.00 for a 4 speed and $5950.00 for a 5 speed both prices do include the shifters. A $500.00 deposit will place the order and we are about 2-3 weeks out on shipping. We have used these units in many vehicles over the 1000 horsepower range so I don’t see any problems with what you are doing.

Thank you

Scott

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------8) --

This looks very do-able since I already have the aluminum flywheel, lakewood bell and the clutch linkage and pedals to put this in with.

Travis

#15 ·
TravisRice said:
Matt,
Do you use a centered iron clutch that is adjustable in your road race application??
Travis
My clutch is a 5 plate carbon fiber deal - I think it is 5" in diameter, but it might be 4.5". The fact that I can't remember is testament to how good it is because (knock-on-wood) I have not had to replace anything in it for awhile.

The cintered metal ones would not hold it. My car is too low to accept the larger clutches used for drag racing.

It is not adjustable from a tuning perspective, but it is relatively easy to modulate - much easier than the cintered. It drives pretty much like a street piece.

However, while it seems to be much more durable than the cintered ones I used to use, like any multiplate clutch it does not want to be slipped (heat) and misuse is extremely uneconomical.

#16 ·
Thanks Matt,
More info to make me dangerous !! :lol: I have been fooling with some of the Pro-stick guys here in Maryland, basically doing some suspension stuff and header building. It's been fun watching them through the learning curve so to speak but it's just about time for me to step up and show them what a Ford can do, after watching the mistakes they have made at thier expense and not mine :lol: .

Here is a link to a dragracingonline article last month. I work on the Tan Chevy II that does the awesome wheelies.

http://www.dragracingonline.com/raceresults/2008/x_6-stick-1.html

Travis

#17 ·
You beat me to it Travis,
This what i also got from Lenco....

Hello,

Could you please provide some details on the ST1200 for me.

Will this bolt up to a standard Lakewood scattershield?

Can i use a standard type clutch?

Will it downshift?

Cost 4 speed w/reverse?

Cost 5 speed w/reverse?

Approx build time?

Hello

The ST1200 style units will bolt up to a standard scatter shield and we have many different splines for the clutch. Yes this unit will downshift and works well on the street. The price on these units will run $4950.00 for a 4 speed and $5950.00 for a 5 speed both prices do include shifters. Right now we are about 2-3 weeks out on shipping.

A $500.00 deposit will start the order and the balance will be due when finished.

Thank you

Scott

#19 ·
I don't have a lot of time now but Wed. night I will give you a lot of info about the do and don't. The biggest thing is a good clutch, one the is easly to set the base and counterweights with. You can get by with a steel hat clutch but it is a pain in the a** to work on. The other item is a data system. You have to know what is going on in the bellhousing. Bare min is engine , input and driveshaft rpm. Later

#22 ·
#24 ·
TravisRice said:
Thanks Matt,
More info to make me dangerous !! :lol: I have been fooling with some of the Pro-stick guys here in Maryland, basically doing some suspension stuff and header building. It's been fun watching them through the learning curve so to speak but it's just about time for me to step up and show them what a Ford can do, after watching the mistakes they have made at thier expense and not mine :lol: .

Here is a link to a dragracingonline article last month. I work on the Tan Chevy II that does the awesome wheelies.

http://www.dragracingonline.com/raceresults/2008/x_6-stick-1.html

Travis
Travis, are you doing fab. work for those guys? It seems like there could be a lot of it with those wheelies.

#25 ·
Matt Robison said:
WIKDLX said:
here is a video of my old car with the jerico (two tone car, first and fourth pass)

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Matt-Hamby-in-WIKDLX-1-in_57803.htm
Wicked hurry, I'd say ... you might also call it VILNTLX!

yeah, that car was much more fun when it was a stock sups car. after I broke the 8.8 we went to mini tub it, then decided the add a 9"......then the next thing you know it gets backhalved. the big tires coupled with a 4 link and a 4 speed was a huge learning curve so I got frustrated and went back to what I knew which was stock susp.
it also didnt help that with a 4 link I basically wasnt legal for anything that I could afford to race and the drag radial cars seemed to be the next big thing so I went with it.
the new car is a breeze to drive, but I really miss banging gears. I'm a firm believer that hot rods have 3 pedals........but this automatic is damn consistent and easier on the driveline and thrust bearings :)

#26 ·
ditto on the clutch set-up , you will probally need a low enough base to let it slip initially then counter weight it to clamp at the higher RPM.
also if i'm not mistaken the lenco allows you to adjust how hard the next gear hits by adjusting the planetary engagement force by shift lever pressure. these are a group of guys that race sticks and they have a forum, there is a wealth of information on there.http://www.umtrnorth.com/forums/default.asp
Real race cars have 3 pedals.

thats something i live by. ron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.