460 Ford Forum banner

2008 6.4 DIED, TROUBLE CODES

17K views 33 replies 12 participants last post by  Nevs 
#1 ·
My company has a 08 F350 with the 6.4 PSD, it died and was towed to a dealership. Dealership says failed high pressure injection pump due to water in fuel and warranty won't cover it. DTC codes p2291, p0087, p2269 present. The dealer is trying to sell us a injection pump and install for $9000. Is this system still like the earlier HUEI system where the fuel is supplied through a common rail at 60 to 100 psi and then the injector increases the pressure by oil pressure regulated from the high pressure oil pump. I went to an International Med duty engine coarse in 2000, how much have the systems changed since then.
Thanks John

#3 ·
I may sound stupid here, but if I was paying $9000 to fix a brand new truck, I would be extremely upset.
I'm ignorant about the systems on this vehicle, but isn't their some kind of water in the fuel warning? Just curious, I'm to cheap (broke) to buy anything new myself. :?:

#4 ·
Yes there is a water warning system.

You should get a symbol warning on the information center panel and that directs you to open the drain valve under the driver side of the truck to drain out water/fuel until only fuel is draining.

Before I spend $9000 I would have the fuel in the tank analyzed to prove there is water in the tank.

:roll:

#6 ·
Bout the only way I see warranty to pay for the water damage is if the water in fuel light failed.

Another thing being a company truck they like to fill from the storage tanks they use and they are bad about getting water in them, not saying this was the case.

I have also heard of gasoline being pumped in by mistake and exploding the fuel manifold off the pump, warr no pay there either.

More of a get your insurance involved deal.

All the trucks have the sensors, the 99 and up will log it into the pcm as a trouble code as well.

#7 ·
Is there a high pressure fuel pump on theses new engines?
If the high pressure oil pump failed how is it related to water in the fuel.
If it's a common rail engine like the early ones fuel is feed to a common fuel rail in the head to the injectors and the high pressure oil is feed through another rail to the injectors.
Is there a high pressure fuel pump on these engines, the report from the dealer states "failed high pressure fuel injection pump".

#9 ·
Also in the dealers report says fuel sample ok.
3 of our trucks fuel at the same station and this one is the only one that had a problem, the driver seems to be up on draining the fuel seperator and such as we're an equipment dealership. I don't trust the Ford dealership.

#8 ·
There is a lift pump on the frame HFCM that feeds the high pressure pump with fuel, the HP fuel pump raises the fuel to injection pressure, not like the old school pumps. No oil is involved on these with the injection process.

The HUEI system water in fuel would damage the lift pump, and injectors, on the 08 it will also damage the pump like the earlier units before HUEI.

#11 ·
I would go up there and ask to see said damage, if nothing take a fuel sample yourself from the HFCM down on the frame.

They could be high in the warranty numbers, still no reason to pawn it off on the customer.

Lunch is over back to the funhouse with all the 6.0's............ :lol:

#12 ·
Thanks for the info Jon.
Are the dealers able to look at all the codes and see when they were set and for how long they were active?

#13 ·
some of the early production 6.4l have wire chaff issues on the high press fuel pump on the fvcv(fuel volume control valve) solinoid under the high press pump cover.should be a warranty deal.ford is beating on us dealers to prove that the pump or the harness is bad.talk about loop holes.the electronic side of these trucks are very difficult to diag.it can be done but its a pain in the ***.

#14 ·
I had an 06 6.0 that quit running due to water in the fuel and the water in fuel light never came on till we were towing it out of the woods, AND the water in fuel code only came up the second time I scanned it for codes.
I dropped the tank, flushed the system, changed the filters and pulled almost a gallon out of the system, it started a little hard, but its been running fine ever since......should I be looking for issues down the line??

Jim

#16 ·
richter69 said:
There is a lift pump on the frame HFCM that feeds the high pressure pump with fuel, the HP fuel pump raises the fuel to injection pressure, not like the old school pumps. No oil is involved on these with the injection process.

The HUEI system water in fuel would damage the lift pump, and injectors, on the 08 it will also damage the pump like the earlier units before HUEI.
Jon,

I want to change the fuel filters on my 08 6.4L SD. I know all I have to do to change the fuel filter in the engine bay is unscrew the cap and replace the filter and re-install the cap. My question is the fuel filter on the frame rail underneath? Is that filter under any pressure? Anything special I have to do to replace it?

Truck just went over 10,000 and books suggests changing at 10,000 intervals?

Bruce

#17 ·
The one under the truck, get some rags and a drain pan, flip the lever to drain the water, but its still a mess. If I ever find the address of the asshole that put the wire harness right next to the filter cap I'll pass it along.............you'll understand. If its a 4x4 with a skid plate undo the 2 bolts on the ds and one on the pass, then swing it out of the way.

Be sure to lube the oring on the cap, replace it with the one supplied, be sure it dont get pinched and that the cap seats all the way. Stick with the Motorcraft filters from the dealer, even if its mote the quality is worth it, hell Lem could get you a case of them if you cant find a good deal on them.

This is important..........before youe start the truck you need to bllen the system. Get a tire valve tool and remove the s. valve from the press tap on the fuel cooler, it will have a small grey cap on it. Place a length of hose over the end of the valve holder, put the other end in a clean gallon jug and proceeed to turn the key to "on" the pump will run for 15 secs or so, repent the key off and on cycle until all the air is out and then some. Key off and replace the valve. Dump the 5 bucks worth of fuel back in the tank.

If you dont purge the air its gonna run then quit, and its a bitch to get the air out.

The cap is not under pressure, the cap underneath for the fuel is the same as the oil filter.

#22 ·
I started looking into an Air Dog system but I don't like the fact with that system you have to replace all the fuel line and redo the fuel pick-up in the fuel tank. I have heard of people having problems once the fuel level gets bellow 1/8 of a tank.

I'd just like to have another fuel / water separator and de-aerator. I'm starting to feel uncomfortable with all these fuel system problems. This is the third time I have heard of this problem. Not just Ford is having this problem but Cummins are too. All of which have been the new emission versions, 6.7 Cummins & 6.4 International. I have a 6.0 so I think I am good cause I have never heard of these problems with older engines. (Unless it is the fuel)

http://www.pureflowtechnologies.com/

Maybe use Stainless Steel or Aluminum lines.

#23 ·
Bruce, there are two varieties, be sure you are using the ULSD product and youn will be fine.

I run a tank in the bed that goes through another filter/seperator before it enters the tank, the biggest issues are from dirt or water contamination which existed before the ULSD.

#24 ·
Had a lenghtly phone conversation with the service manager at the dealership and he states that code p2269 is the "death" code as the Ford hotline called it. They are still blaming it on water in the fuel by trouble code only, they didn't find no water in the fuel rail only black grit substance (fail fuel injection pump). They didn't cut the filters open and inspect them, I believe they're a cartridge style, they didn't review the code history. The dealer is hiding behind Ford saying they won't authorize the warranty repairs, they have to replace the whole fuel system due to contamination which is the only thing we agree on.
It's a lease truck, I told the owner of the company to go take the license plates off and clean out the salesman's stuff and leave it there, we're a Bobcat dealer and Ford has a national contract to supply all the dealers with trucks, we have at least 10 trucks between the 3 locations.
Thanks for all the help,
John

#25 ·
richter69 said:
....the biggest issues are from dirt or water contamination which existed before the ULSD.
Water in diesel has always been an issue but it sure as hell never cost $9000 to fix before. It sounds to me like more piss poor designs in Fords warning department. If it is that serious that cab should be going off like a crashing 747!

#26 ·
All this supposed "water" damage to fuel systems must be a new problem. I've been around diesels, big and small, for years and have never heard of "water" damage to fuel systems. In the older ones you might get a govenor sticking from rusty fuel. Water won't go thru a fuel filter. it puddles up around the pleats of the filter and gives you low power or a hesitation and turns on your water in filter light if you have one. I'd think I would go up the chain of command at Ford and make THEM prove to you that it's not covered. It is NOT normal for a whole fuel system to need replaced whatever the reason!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.