460 Ford Forum banner

429 install into 1968 montego wagon

52K views 429 replies 24 participants last post by  68xr7cat 
#1 ·
Hello everyone I have a 1971 429 motor that I am currently installing into my wagon. I know it's not a complete car build up or restore but I have some questions and would like some advice. I have what I think are thunderbird or boss motor mounts. They are the big wide ones that bolt right to the block. And I have bought frame mounts that bolt to the frame. I know I am missing the insulator which I was going to make myself because they are way to expensive for a hunk of metal I can make myself. Anyway I got the engine on the crane last night and lowered it down in my car, which is up on jack stands in my garage. To have my engine down far enough to get the power brake booster on and get the trans to fit as well as the gas pedal z bar to work my block mounts are basically sitting on my frame mounts. My question is how can there be a 4 inch tall insulator???? I'm dumbfounded! So I took the frame mounts off and lowered it in and have it sitting where I want it and it clears everything and I can get the top bolts in the trans. But the frame mounts on the block are about three inches away from the frame!! Does anyone have an pictures of what the mounts all bolted together and in the car look like??? I was going to buy the crites kit but that's 210$!! And it looks like it would make it too tall. My airplanes gonna already be sticking out of the hood. And any pictures of what your 429 looks like in your engine bay, spacing from the firewall and side to side but mostly I just want to see a pic of the engine in a mustang or whatever and see what the mounts look like. That's I appreciate it. Ned d to move past this so I can get going.
Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Attachments

See less See more
#280 ·
Now if you had an edelbrock you would have one to attach to.lol Since I rebuilt my engine last year it has been leaking and it was driving me crazy but recently I hooked my oil cap to my air cleaner plus I have a line from the other valve cover with a pcv to the carb base and it functions very well, it made an amazing difference.

D

#282 ·
They all have there strong points for sure, when I bought my truck it had a holley on it and it was a POS and if I didn't change it my wife was going to make me sell my truck, all it would do is load up with fuel and stink up the garage and house.lol my plan is holley terminator efi upgrade in the future.

D

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#284 ·
intake

looks like the intake got there on saturday, just glad to help out and I hope its all your motor needs, it will also have extra vacuum ports to hook up a PCV valve, that will help if its slobbering on its self, have fun because it won't be long and it won't be fast enough :eek: and you will be buying more go fast stuff, keep us posted

#287 ·
So I got the intake. And realized the studs are twice the size of the ones I had in my stealth. Haven't seen ones this size. So my question is do I helicoil the holes in the intake to fit my smaller diameter studs or do I make the holes in my carb base bigger to fit over the studs. Dobt really want to make the holes In my carb bigger. What would you need these huge studs for?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#289 ·
What brand of radiator are you running? Also do you find that pusher fans work good?

D

#290 ·
I'm running a 3 core aluminum radiator. I got it from ebay its called a champion radiator. Works great and was a steal at under $200 bucks in my opinion. I wanted them to pull but they wouldn't fit on the inside so I moved them to the outside. I have two 14" fans that flow over 1000 cfm each. And it blows plenty of air through the rad. I heard that pushers obstruct the airflow but at this point in time its fine. Just bought a little 10" fan for my transcooler just need to make a bracket to mount it.

#291 ·
I just bought the same radiator but I bought the 2-12" electric fans with the custom shroud they make, I'm just not sure how well the 12" fans will cool my truck, guess we will be doing an experiment. :D

D

#294 ·
studs

Ryan, I'm reading over your posts and see the studs, I did not know it had over sized studs in it I took the motor out of the truck and took it apart, I sold the 800 DP that was on it several weeks ago to A guy in Altuna PA. and have not herd fron him sense so I would check and see what size they are, the stock ones are 5/16 so see if they are the next size up or not, I'm guessing the owner before me must have put the next size up and drilled out the base plate on the carb, just let me know how you work it out, Butterbean

#296 ·
Hey butterbean its alright. I pulled the studs out put helicoils in it and stuck my 5/16 studs in. Got the intake on and it runs great. Yeah who ever messed with it and drilled them out drilled through two of the runners and made the carb spacer holes bigger lol. Anyway it worked out and its on and done with. Looks good too. Thanks Dman I had some second degree burn spots and a lot of swelling esp in my neck and face. But after hours on ice it feels just like bad sunburn today. And of coarse I'm at work atleast its not hot out.

#298 ·
Dude that's harsh, ouch. Loose clamp or did the hose fail?

#300 ·
Ouch. sorry to hear that.
I had that happen at work. Main generator fried the voltage regulator, so I was running the aux gen. Aux generator blew a 1.75inch coolant line and I installed a new one with the engine running :p It hurt a lot.... but floating offshore with a dead ship seemed less fun somehow.

#302 ·
Wow! Hopefully you will recover fast! That looks and, i am sure that is painful :(

I have had serious sunburns before but they where merely painful for a day or so...I can't imagine 2nd/3rd degree burns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.