460 Ford Forum banner

Antique Time Slips... Post Them!

10K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  butterbean 
#1 ·
I have a bunch of these... and this is one of the real slow ones, but I had it handy. One of my Dad's old test runs in Pro Stock back in 82. What is funny is this is from 1 month before I was born!

In this Fairmont, he was runner-up in AHRA in 82, and Champ in 83'

See less See more
#3 ·
Sweet post Cale, what's some specs on the car?

#5 ·
Fairmont Specs

That was a rather historical car...

As most know Bob Glidden had Don Hardy build two Fairmonts, and one was known as never being beaten. He had both of them and was about to build the first T-Bird and Kaase and my dad talked and then the next thing you know, my dad was at Bob's shop. Bob actually preferred the car that had been beaten to the the undefeated one... he pretty much said it was just circumstance, but the other was better. So, my dad bought it. The ditched the small engine and put in a Kaase 605 inch engine. Later came a 650ish I believe... would have to ask. It hadn't been run very much, and was pretty much new.

It was one of the first "Mountain Motor Pro Stock Cars" IHRA/AHRA. Back then they ran a 4 speed Lenco CS1 Style (Big heavy and power robbing!) and neutral was an option... one that most didn't have, including my dad. The clutch was a rag clutch that they would simply replace every round. You had to hold the clutch it all the time and could never rest your leg... so burndowns were real fun! In 1982 my dad was runner up in AHRA Pro Stock and won I believe 5 races, then the following year with the new engine, he won 12 of 14 events and was runner-up at the other two, so he took the championship.

That car is in Oklahoma at a museum.

#7 ·
I need to do some digging and find some pics of that car!

#8 ·
I remember the hand written time cards we used to get. We knew reaction times existed however had no clue as to what reaction times we had. I also remember the first year reaction times were available at National Trail Raceway, they were charging us at the gate I am thinking 5 dollars extra if we wanted a reaction time on our slip. This new technology was going to make the track a few extra bucks and I think it did for the first year or so. Of course back then there were no delay boxes or transbrakes. If you were green you didnt know how green, or how red you were. Was really alot of fun. Yeah I am getting old

#10 ·
It was Dragway 42.... He said they called that "Cleveland"

#15 ·
X2 for pics, I came from a drag race family and my dad run stock eliminator back in the 60's and 70's then brackets up to about 1980 had to quit due to heart issues, I was only 15 so he sold all his car stuff and when I turned 16 I started racing all through high school, I had a 1971 monte carlo with a 454 and a T-400 it ran high 14:70's when I bought it and ran low 13's when I wrecked it 2 years later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.