460 Ford Forum banner

c6 trans won't go into gear.

10K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  rat poison 
#1 ·
This trans has a Hughes trans rebuild kit and a 3800 stall converter.The first weekend it worked perfectly at the track.The next time out it was working good the first day,then after the third pass when you'd put it in gear it wouldn't engage until you revd it up to 2000 r.p.m. then it would engage properly in first gear.when you were putting it in reverse it woud do the same except it would sort of slip into gear but would work perfectly once it would engage.I raced the car the rest of the week end like that and the car ran very consistent and strong.When I drained the oil out there was a little sludge in the pan,nothing out of the ordinary for green clutch's just a light amount on the bottom of the pan.I did how ever find a few aluminum slivers as well.Could the converter be the problem and where the slivers came from?

#7 ·
I do have an issue with the shifter cable adjustment there seems to be a little slack in the cable.If I adjust it,it'll go into the proper detentes in one direction but not the other.If I adjust it the other direction it'll go into the detentes in the other direction.So I adjusted it to be able to up shift properly.I did fine however the vacuum module is leaking and the adjustment screw was backed way out,almost fell completely off.I don't know what the need for the module is,with a manual valve body but could this
have been the problem?

#12 ·
Well guys I couldn't find anything wrong that stands out.Could the converter cause this?It seems like the pump can't build pressure until it hits 200 rpm. then everything is okay.The transmission engages and away you go.

#17 ·
Well this is what I found when I pulled the trans. apart.The valve body had a lot of debris in it especially in and around the pressure relief valve.It looked like this caused the valve not to seal properly.And that burned out the intermediate and high gear clutches.That's all I could find wrong.I'm not sure where the debris came from except I didn't flush out the cooler or the converter,so I figure it must of came from one of those two places.I'm ready to put it back in the car now but not before I make sure everything is flushed out first.

#22 ·
The transmission is working perfectly!I got put out in the final round.The car ran 6.73 to 6.76 in the 1/8 all week end,except the final round it slowed to a 6.80.I think the trans was getting hot by then.I'm going to put in a trans.cooler with a fan for next year.And a transmission temperature gauge.Thanks for the help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.