460 Ford Forum banner

429-460 aftermarket efi options?

72K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  lonco 
#1 ·
Ok, well heres what im looking for. Im wanting to use either the trickflow or kaase heads on a 429, but..Are there any efi aftermarket kits out there for it? im aware of the stock 460 truck efi stuff, but i know the heads for carbed models are different. But would there happen to be an adapter to use that intake with carbed heads? I remember seeing one fuel injection aftermarket complete kit for the 429-460 but it was something like 3 grand, which im not willing to pay. any suggestions? or am i stuck with a carburetor?

#2 ·
You can convert a carb'd intake by welding injector bungs in it.

There are a few guys on here running Megasquirt. I have it, but haven't gotten my engine up and running yet. Megasquirt is an inexpensive DIY EFI setup. It is the electronics and engine management part.

Have a good day!
Michael

#3 ·
I've had some good experiences with using the Edelbrock Pro Flo and Pro Flo 2 on a few engines for one of my Mopar customers but I don't think they offer a kit for the 460. If they did it would be a good setup.

#5 ·
A few years ago I built a 466 with Dove-c heads and a edelbrock Performer RPM intake, welded in MSD injector bungs, and built an adapter to bolt the Factory EFI upper intake on the Edelbrock intake. It worked with a factory Mass air setup.

If I can find them I will post picts.

#12 ·
I'm piecing together an AEM system now using a 1400 box ('87-'93 5.0). I have all AEM sensors except for the EPM. I have a 351W EFI dizzy instead (for now). The fuel system is all Aeromotive with Aeroquip pushlok lines. If you wanna know anything about the AEM system, feel free to ask. I'm still learning, but if I can help out, I will.

#13 ·
Im going to try the new F.A.S.T. EZ EFI self tuning EFI kit this summer on my 460. See how it works. Its a throttle body set up for use on a carbed intake, all bolt on like a carb. No injector mounting. Runs 1800 bucks complete, or 2200 if you also need the fuel system. Im already plumed for EFI so im not going to buy there fuel system.

#14 ·
IMHO, a carb is going to be better for. You don't seem like you want to spend money.

For the record, BigBlockRanger, how much money do you have in your system? How much time do you have in it also, personally and other people's? Is the efi running flawless?

Dave

#17 ·
Several years ago there was a guy on this board from Canada that did a homebuilt EFI deal on his BB Mustang. Used four coil packs from a Dodge Neon. Pretty cool deal imo.

#19 ·
If you're going throttle body injection it's just as well to save your money and go Carb. You'll be paying a ton more for something that won't work as good as a properly tuned carb. Unless you are into hard core offroading and the angles necessitate an EFI over a carb setup, I wouldn't do it. Just my 2 cents.

#22 ·
I guess it's all a matter of priorities... if one wishes to make this a mild street motor, I think either of those kits above, with their self tuning abilities, ease of installation, and reasonable price for EFI, would likely be a better candidate than a $1500 carb....For a race motor, obviously not.

JMO :)

#21 ·
I didn't have all that much money in mine. About $800 maybe? Not counting the stuff I would have to have anyway to run a carb. Then again, I was careful and waited for great deals to come around on the stuff I needed. It was running awesome, but a clogged fuel filter and a failed sleeve did that motor in. I decided to go with a carb on the Mustang just because I will set it up and then will pretty much leave it alone. I couldn't keep my hands off the efi, I was always jacking around with it. (tinkeritis)

#27 ·
I'm thinking that Edelbrock shows a system for the 385 series engines in their 2010 catalogue based on the Victor jr intake. It had everything needed. Good luck, I have about $1300 in my converted Victor/80MM Acufab throttle body/90MM mass air and it isn't running yet.

#28 ·
I have been running the retrotek speed system in my 78 for about a year now. I have mixed feelings about it. I will say it does what i bought it for, it runs fine at steep angles, which i could not get a carb to do. It also runs great going down the highway and at wot. On the other hand it doesnt start any better than a carb, it is not near as crisp, and it has weird little hiccups happen occasionally. I think some of this is just tuning which i am not smart enough to figure out but i have tinkered with it a lot with mixed results. I also had to replace two of the four sensors already. Having said that, if i was going to be on flat ground all the time, a carb would be a no brainer. They are simpler and cheaper.

Reactions: hwyhogg
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.