460 Ford Forum banner

Edelbrock Head 557 Testing

16K views 33 replies 10 participants last post by  butterbean 
#1 · (Edited)
Did some testing over the weekend of my 557 powered '79 Mustang. We still have some tuning issues to iron out but overall I'm very pleased. We made 4 passes, 2 off the footbrake and 2 off the transbrake. Footbrake passes were a little rough due to some front end issues, but transbrake passes were solid and consistent. Best was 9.35 @ 147.

Motor is a 557, thoroughly ported Edelbrock CJ heads, solid roller cam from Lem, Victor intake and 4150 carb. PG trans. Car is mintubbed ladder bar setup running 31x10.5W.

#3 ·
Looks good. Nice vid... Looks like Steve built a winner.What kinda times do ya think it will do once u get it ironed out?What does the car weigh.how much gear.
Thanks. We had some fuel pressure issues and timing was real conservative, so I'm sure we can pick up some decent ET. Real happy with the mph tho.

I haven't weighed the car yet. Gear is 4.11.

#8 ·
I short shifted in the vid at 6500. The shift light was set for the old motor. Never weighed the car, but I hope to soon.

Sounds like a nice build. I loved my iron cj headed 472 (went 9.93 in my '79 and 10.09 in my '87). Good luck with it.

I put a 557 in my car the end of last season,haven't had time to test,Hope I do as well you 1st time out,HAve you found the issue with the fuel pressure?
We're gonna look at it this week.

how much hp did the motor make?
Never dynoed.

#14 · (Edited)
Yes sir. All motor.

did you post your build on this site some where, I would like to know your engine, trans and converter and rear combo
No didn't post up the build. The car/motor was built by Steve Everett (steve1071).

Basics are: stock 1/2 filled .080 over block, Lem Evans roller cam, Ohio Crankshaft rotating assy, JE flat top pistons, max ported Edelbrock heads, Victor intake, custom carb (4150) flows just over 1000 cfm, c/r ~12.5:1 runs on 108 octane. Trans is a 1.80 glide, 8" converter, flashes at 4800, rear is a 9" 4.11 gear. I shift at 6800-6900 and go through the traps right about 7000.

I run the car in the Summit bracket series...got about 80 passes on the motor so far this season and its proving to be a consistent reliable combo.

#18 ·

I'm a bracket racer as well and I just switched over to Fords, I have always been a GM guy so switching is like starting over, I baught my car off this site from Steve4570 (i think that is his name on here) anyway its a 88 T-Bird that is well built he done a bang up job on the car, I'm putting my almost stock 429 in it as we speek with a C-6 with a brake and a 10" converter for now, but I'm already buying parts for the real motor, I have stuff to build a 532 but I think I wanna build a 4.500 stroke motor, and I wanna get a real good set of heads, I like your build and if you have already made 80 plus passes running 9.20's to 9.30's I'm impressed, and I will hope to run as well as you do, good luck at the track. Butterbean

#19 ·
I'm a bracket racer as well and I just switched over to Fords, I have always been a GM guy so switching is like starting over, I baught my car off this site from Steve4570 (i think that is his name on here) anyway its a 88 T-Bird that is well built he done a bang up job on the car, I'm putting my almost stock 429 in it as we speek with a C-6 with a brake and a 10" converter for now, but I'm already buying parts for the real motor, I have stuff to build a 532 but I think I wanna build a 4.500 stroke motor, and I wanna get a real good set of heads, I like your build and if you have already made 80 plus passes running 9.20's to 9.30's I'm impressed, and I will hope to run as well as you do, good luck at the track. Butterbean
Same here. Started off 4 years ago racing a 2001 Corvette with a 6 speed no less. Then met Steve Everett and been running BBFs ever since. Started with a stock suspension '87 Mustang with a mild 466 running 11.30s, then put a healthy 472 in it and ran low 10s (best 10.09), then moved on to my 79 backhalf car with a 532 and ran 9.9s and then put the 557 in it.

I remember that T-bird you bought. Looks like a real nice car and a great deal. I was real tempted, but not much room or spare cash. Good to hear it's going to a bracket racer.

Best of luck.

#21 ·
thanks Dude, can you tell me why so much ET difference from the 532 to the 557??? and I'm also running my car on E-85 and I'm going to start posting the progress on my Hot Rod build, thanks again Butterbean
The 532 had ported iron heads (D0VE) which was the limiting factor. The car did 60' slightly better with the smaller heads, but not surprisingly, made much less power up top.

#28 ·
Yes...would've loved to. But we knew we were already pushing the limits of a stock 2 bolt main block. And a few weeks ago, after 95 passes, oil pressure started dropping so we shut it down and pulled the motor. Turns out a couple main caps were cracked. So I picked up a dove-a with 4 bolt caps and we're going to roll with that for next year.

#30 ·
I was shifting at 7,000 and going through the traps a bit higher. We knew the block was the weak link so it was no surprise. An aftermarket block was not in the budget. It did it's job and made it through the points series so all is good.

#31 ·
well seems to me taxman that no matter how we go 2 bolt 4bolt block were still at limit with the block or crank we have! seeing that a A460 block is out of the question for me and you at the moment,we are working with-in a hp limit anyway of what we have! so if you have a scat 9000 cast crank that is good for 800-1000hp, the stock block is only good with in those limits anyway! so putting a forged crank in a block that can only take 800-1000hp is over kill to me. unless you are moving up to a eliminator block or A460 block! so to me you might as well build a motor based on what the block and crank can handle! guess I will be building my motor based on all the experience of the people on here and from bbf guys in my city who i'v e seen run with these parts! so any thing over 1000hp with a stock block your playing Russian ruellet with your motor and money! guess I will be ordering my 4.500 scat crank building me a 750-830hp motor no spray, and just go have fun! just me thing out loud! how much did your motor make on the dyno!

#34 · (Edited)
block

wow!! sorry to here about your block but its good that you caught it before it made a mess, I never finished mine, got the 429 running and it was just to wimpy and I could not stand it so I baught a .080 over 460 today complete but dissembled, it has aftermarket rods and forged flat tops, DOVE-C heads with bigger stainless valves came with a mini starter, aluminum water pump and tall MS valve covers, selth intake and a 8580 dizzy, the only thing I don't care for is the flat tappet cam, but it has roller rockers and comp pushrods, so I'm going to freshen it up and change the cam, lifters and valve springs and intake so I think it will run like I'm use to, hope you get yours back together soon, don't wanna miss any point races, I've already missed 2 but we have a long season not to worry :eek: :D. keep your progress posted and hurry up!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.