460 Ford Forum banner

429 install into 1968 montego wagon

52K views 429 replies 24 participants last post by  68xr7cat 
#1 ·
Hello everyone I have a 1971 429 motor that I am currently installing into my wagon. I know it's not a complete car build up or restore but I have some questions and would like some advice. I have what I think are thunderbird or boss motor mounts. They are the big wide ones that bolt right to the block. And I have bought frame mounts that bolt to the frame. I know I am missing the insulator which I was going to make myself because they are way to expensive for a hunk of metal I can make myself. Anyway I got the engine on the crane last night and lowered it down in my car, which is up on jack stands in my garage. To have my engine down far enough to get the power brake booster on and get the trans to fit as well as the gas pedal z bar to work my block mounts are basically sitting on my frame mounts. My question is how can there be a 4 inch tall insulator???? I'm dumbfounded! So I took the frame mounts off and lowered it in and have it sitting where I want it and it clears everything and I can get the top bolts in the trans. But the frame mounts on the block are about three inches away from the frame!! Does anyone have an pictures of what the mounts all bolted together and in the car look like??? I was going to buy the crites kit but that's 210$!! And it looks like it would make it too tall. My airplanes gonna already be sticking out of the hood. And any pictures of what your 429 looks like in your engine bay, spacing from the firewall and side to side but mostly I just want to see a pic of the engine in a mustang or whatever and see what the mounts look like. That's I appreciate it. Ned d to move past this so I can get going.
Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Attachments

See less See more
#357 ·
sell sell sell

I do have a lot to sell..... problem is I never advertise, lol. Got a fellow looking at a carb I have and asked about paypal. I told him I don't know..... I always buy and never sell, lol. I have an account, just need to learn how to send invoices and such.

I had 2 Dakota's, a 94 and an 04, loved them both. The 94 was custom ordered 4x4 extended cab with the 318 in it. 04 was 4x4, 4 door w/ 6 cyl. Both were great trucks but it takes everything my Expedition has to pull my 24ft enclosed trailer and car. And I have the 5.7 with a computer programmer and other mods. I don't trust the weight on the tires more than anything.

But like I said, I haven't had a car payment in a long time or a house payment in 3 years. I have a 2.34% home equity line that I use and then pay down. It's higher than I like right now but after this last go round everything I sell will go back towards it. Plus I pay 2K a month towards it anyways to get it back down. I may have to find a girlfriend with a good job to help supply my habit!!! LOL

I couldn't even imagine driving that Torino more than I used to before the new slicks and that was about a 5 mile radius!!!!

I did just get off phone and new P/G is being built now. Will pick it up in 2 weeks. Waiting on a call back from injection guy to set up a drop off while up there getting trans.

Lucky for the kids that their Christmas gifts are already bought!!! hahaha

I will be posting new picks of it coming apart within the next few days probably.

Take it easy!

Auggie

#358 ·
Well I haven't made it to the track yet but I got new wheels for the rear of the wagon. Have to pick up some new chrome lug nuts bt here's what they look like. They are U.S. Wheel 304 Stealth series from summit racing. Wanted sone 16's or so but they only had them in 15's so I got 15x 8's for the back. After I got tires installed I realized I could have got wider tires but its alright. Have to make my burnout video for you guys and then get the new ones on lol.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

#359 ·
Dude your wagon gets cooler everyday! Post some pics of them on the car.

D

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#362 ·
burnout

I like the little laugh AFTER the burnout, hahaha. TOO COOL!! But if my son saw your speakers he would be all over you... "THEY ARE TOO SMALL"!!!!! His speakers are huge... put it this way, your box wouldn't fit 2 of them, lol..... But he also prefers road coarse racing over straight line and we are doing a Chevy Corsica up for that......

You just don't see wagons light em up like that! My old Buick would but you had to go backwards FIRST!!! hahaha

Keep it up and get those wheels on there for us to see!!!

#363 · (Edited)
I needed speakers and when I first got the car I went to pepboys ( before I knew any better) and it was on sale for $50. Nothing wrong with that lol. Yeah I'm like a little kid when doing a burnout, I giggle and my heart starts racing I get all excited haha. That's just a little taste. Wanted to show you guys the inside and whatnot. All you've seen is still pics so far, now there's a video lol. Better ones to come but its raining its butt off here. Then ill put the new tires on. Im waiting for the lug nuts I ordered as well. Haha thanks its almost too easy to light the tires up and do a flaming burnout I love it!!! And yeag I can't wait to get the new wheels on and take sone pics!!

#364 ·
I got tired just reading about all the thrashing you have done. I once had the drive and passion like that...started at age 14 with a 66 fairlane 500 my dad bought me for 300.00(this was 1974). He said your going to learn how to "fix it" before you get to drive it. I did that for over 30 yrs. Sold everything in 2008. BUT...I still have the tools. ;) Love reading about all the stuff that guys still do on these forums. I gotta do just "one more". :)

Tim

#365 · (Edited)
Haha thanks. This wagon has been under construction for over two years and has had two different engines since the original 302 that was in it. It all started when I was 15 and got my first car a 1973 mustang with a hoped up 302. I impatiently bought it off ebay and it took me three years to get it inspected and running. So when I bought the wagon it was already all done with tires brakes tran ect. But off coarse I wanted a big block. I remember dreaming of what it would be like to have a 429 in my mustang. I thought the 302 was so fast and fun this wagon puts it to shame. And no one expects a wagon to beat them in a race haha. Esp because I took off the scoop off it looks so innocent now lol. But the scoop went to a good home and is going to look sweet on its new ride, a sweet 1969 ford fairlane fastback owned by a member on here!! Makes me wish I had a huge pole barn to keep all my cars in. I would have a 1966/67 fairlane, 1968 torino fastback, my wagon and much more lol. I would probably have a lot more engines and stuff too. One of these days I guess! You always have to do just one more even if its a father son project or something just make sure its not too much of a project lol.

#367 ·
It looked way to easy, it seemed like it wasn't even working hard at all.lol thanks.

D

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#387 ·

Attachments

#374 ·
tires

Nice job crapping the tire during your burnout!!!!!!

Was LMAO!!!

Now, like you... I am swimming in white sh*t everywhere!!!!!!

Keep at it! I'm waiting on parts to come rolling in just after Christmas so I can start going together!!! LOL

Take it easy and will be watching for more updates

#375 · (Edited)
Haha thanks it was fun. Yeah and its snowing again! I can't wait to get some money together I'm looking all over craigslist and ebay for good deals on a 460 to pick up lol. Hopefully by sprng ill have a 9" rear in the wagon and ill have the engine freshened or rebuilt alittle more powerful. Really would like to have a 557 in the wagon lol. No one would expect that.

#376 ·
bigger is better

Don't worry.... it's an addiction!!!!! You will get there. Some how, some way.... YOU WILL GET THERE!!!!!

Just keep poking away at it!

I got a buddy with a 9" housing I can get pretty cheap. Don't know what it is out of or what the width is so at the very least you would have to cut brackets and put yours on....... It has the gears in it but no idea what they are either. He was hanging onto it to have it shortened for an S-10 Blazer....

Maybe I can sweet talk him out of it for ya...........

#378 ·
Dammit man, that snow looks cold. Lived in Hurricane, WV for 6 years. Had to slosh throu snow to get to my shop out behind the house, and it was no fun. We moved further South ,so we could ride in the Winter. After moving here, I was almost killed twice by texters not paying attention. After 35 years of riding motorcycles I parked it and went to the 4 wheeled projects. Hahaha .BTW , like the new wheels .:D

#379 ·
I had the perfect block and rotating assembly and I sold it due to needing money lol. Kind of kicking myself for that but oh well. Another one will come along. Yeah I'm waiting for the right 9" rear. One that's the right size and good deal. Yeah the snow is nice but then it gets warm the next day, melts, then freezes into ice lol. I wish I was in florida or texas. I hate being cold and the snow/rain makes my things rust!! I have almost died so many times on my motorcycle that I didn't even ride it last year. No one pays attention at all driving around. Thats why I'm selling it to fund my wagon going fast lol. Just have to actually sell it now... hey thanks I love the wheels. I love the flat black so easy to just paint them if they get messed up. I'm going to flat black the grill and the front wheels too maybe the head light bezels as well. One thing at a time!

#381 ·
460 into 69 torino

Im planning a 385 engine swap into my torino it is a 69. Let me know what exhaust manifold you used or what works and what doesnt work with this swap. also i was told the 70-71 torino 429 3 piece motor mounts will work, oil pan? is there some with better clearance? planning to use my fmx trans with a 385 bellhousing. this is a street cruiser nothing too radical.

#382 ·
Im planning a 385 engine swap into my torino it is a 69. Let me know what exhaust manifold you used or what works and what doesnt work with this swap. also i was told the 70-71 torino 429 3 piece motor mounts will work, oil pan? is there some with better clearance? planning to use my fmx trans with a 385 bellhousing. this is a street cruiser nothing too radical.
If you're handy with fabbing skills, you can easily use the stock crossmember mounts ,along with a 67 or 68 mustang insulator. The motor plate can be made fairly easy after that. I've heard Crites has a good mount, but it is $250 . I prefer to spend $50 for the insulator and use my existing base mount, and fab the piece that bolts to the block. It depends on how you are equipped though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.