460 Ford Forum banner

My 1994 Mustang Index racing build

56K views 238 replies 34 participants last post by  bigblok86ranger 
#1 ·
Posting a new thread with better pics...

This is getting the 528 out of my truck with some updates to the engine. Gonna be a small tire stock suspension deal hoping to get in the 8.60 index in GDRA and Byron Dragways Midwest Index Shootout.

Humble beginnings

See less See more
#141 ·
I also narrowed the rearend another inch per side so the 315's clear better. Also mini-tubbed the car. I picked up a four gallon fuelcell from ag460torino to mount in front of the radiator and bought a Mallory comp 250 to supply fuel. Trading the Bobcat for a trans, pressure washer, and a Supercoil.

Auto part

Auto part Transmission part Vehicle Differential Machine

Vehicle Auto part Fender Car

Blue Motor vehicle Vehicle door Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Auto part

#144 ·
so do you work at trick chassis? I live near by and I've seen your car sitting out in the driveway while you were working on it over on 6th street..
hey if you ever need a hand with anything I'm close by and I've built a few cars myself.

#146 ·
Been gone for awhile but I am back. I recently started driving otr.

My direction has changed a little bit. I am going to drive this on the street occasionally so a few plans have changed. I installed power windows and mirrors in the car last weekend. I would have gotten a glass windshield installed as well but it had to be ordered so that will go in next time I am in town. I will also finish plumbing the brakes and work on the wiring. I have a turbo 400 sitting at the tranny shop getting rebuilt with a hipster's pro tree brake. I will be running a larger fuel cell due to the street use. Once the tranny is done all I lack is a radiator, a driveshaft, and a little time to work on it.

Oh I forgot my local exhaust shop is going to install dual 4" exhaust with an X pipe and 2 Chamber Flowmasters.

#148 ·
Vehicle Auto part Engine Electrical wiring Car

Motor vehicle Vehicle Engine Auto part Automobile repair shop

Motor vehicle Vehicle Auto part Automotive exterior Car

The arb is installed and the nose is back on but I don't have pics of that yet. I have a big gaping hole in my trunk right now where the spare tire well was that needs covered and need a transmission yet. Bought two turbo 400's but only thing savable were both cases and one input shaft.

#151 ·
Things are starting to move in the right direction finally. I bought a turbo 400 with an ultra bell for the car and it finally came in. Rich picked it up from the docks for me today (Thank you Rich).

I will hopefully be picking that and my engine up this weekend. I obviously have to make a new trans mount for the turbo 400 but with the engine and trans I can get a lot of things done that really should be done with them installed. If I get back in town before 5pm on Friday I will also go pick up a new radiator and -16 bungs for that.

P.S. Chris I got a Lincoln 180 last weekend.

#153 ·
Yes I picked up the engine and transmission last night from Rich. I will be bolting them together today and putting the engine in the car. Then setting driveline angles and making a transmission crossmember.

We have 8" of snow coming so no better time to lock myself in a heated garage for hours.

#155 ·
these are not set up to be in the center,the engines are off set to the pass side,same as the fox body cars

#156 ·
How the heck do you get the font nose piece back on with that fuel cell up there? I mounted electric fans out front on mine and I had to clearance the nose piece some but the dual electric fan unit i have does not stick out nearly as far as that fuel cell does. I'm guessing you have seen it done that way on a foxbody and have a plan in mind.

#157 ·
LOL,I talked to him about that,and since its a stock front sheetmetal car I suggested putting it in the trunk.

#160 ·
Electric generator Outdoor power equipment Machine Vehicle Gas

Decided to get the Mig and Tig.

Auto part

Anti roll bar/upper coilover shock mount.

Engine Auto part Fuel line Automotive engine part Vehicle

Engine sitting in its home for one last mock up then out it comes so the engine bay can be detailed and transmission built.

#163 ·
Yes I used it to do some welding on a go kart frame for my kids. The torch is a little big but same size I learned with so didn't bother me. The torch is a Weldcraft WP17. I use a 3/32 2% ceriated tungsten (grey) with ER70S-2 filler rod. My only complaint is the grip on the torch turns which kinda makes it hard to keep the position of the arc when going around tubing. I am going to use a fuel line hose clamp to stop that and give my index finger a nice resting spot. The torch head is flexible which is a nice feature and they included a stubby cap with the torch for getting in those tight spots.

#164 ·
do you have any pic's of the finished fuel cell ?With all the bars in place, people might want to see them with the loop bar installed

#165 ·
I never thought of it as ballast but that makes some sense. Post a pic of the finished fuel cell. I'd like to see it.

I'm still not sure how you will get the nose piece on there. I'm guessing you are not going to put the front inner bumper on that goes behind the nose piece or something like that. I put my whole bumper system back in place in front of the fans. I figured it couldn't hurt.

#166 ·
No more pics Rich.

Chris all the inner bumper and stuff is long gone and the cell its tucked in down there. There will be a piece of conduit behind the urethane nose to help it hold it's shape at 150+.

#167 ·
It's been awhile since I have posted an update but it's coming along. I got the new struts a few weeks ago and fully planned on having them installed by now but I had to switch out the steel k-member spacers for the aluminum spacers (weight) all four of the aluminum spacers weighs less than one of the steel ones I had in there. I have decided to put a firm cell in the trunk and am gonna be selling the 4 gallon front mounted one.

I got my coil and radiator and all the fittings for that. The radiator hoses will be -16 braided stainless for safety reasons.

I have a driveshaft that appears that will work. I have been stocking parts to get this thing done but it seems like on every project there ends up being one little thing missing that makes me unable to finish it. For instance today i was going to get the radiator mounted and hoses made but the -16 to 1" pipe fitting has disappeared. Last weekend it was header bolts that were nowhere to be found.

I should have the car 100% together within the next week or so then the engine and trans will come back out and the transmission will be going to get built and the engine bay detailed before final assembly. :)

Electronics Circle

#168 ·
Isn't it funny on a brand new build how many things don't actually come together as you think they should? You end up doing triple or quadruple work just to get one thing done. I can't tell you how many things I ended up doing over and over. Such as the tin work where the rear seat went on mine to seal off the trunk from the drivers compartment. These ground up builds take so MUCH more work than you think they will when you first envision the project. Keep going! You will get there.

#170 ·
My wife went to the circle track place and got me the last few ( hopefully ) fittings and a 4x8 sheet of steel so I can do the trunk floor. The lists of parts are getting smaller so that's a good sign right? ;)

It seems crazy all that goes into these builds. When I started this build I thought 2-3months tops. I had some rough times that slowed things but still hard to believe.

My weekend is gonna be abbreviated because I got a good long load so gonna do my 34 hour reset Thursday into Friday and then head to AZ. :)

Alex at Trick Chassis ordered my driveshaft yoke and u-bolts, the t-bolts and bearing spacers for my rearend so they should be here tomorrow. :) ( more parts to the pile)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.