460 Ford Forum banner

Any one have info about a 1970 1/2 Ford Falcon???

13K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  navefmly 
#1 ·
Here's the scoop. Friend at work was trying to sell a vehicle. Guy #1 comes to look at it and starts talking to him about trading the vehicle for some engines he's trying to get rid of. Friend not interested in trades, but lets guy #1 know I might be interested in checking them out because I'm looking for a project. Anyway, due to life's general issues, we were never able to make the road trip happen and it fell to the way side. Guy #1 contacts him again recently and mentions he has a friend who is trying to sell some older Fords including a 1970 1/2 Ford falcon with a 428. Insists that its a 428.

A little research turns up this is essentially a Gran Torino, just slightly different, and it was a very small production run AND they had all the same options available as the Gran Torino up to and including the 429CJ. Now, why would it have a 428? Some more digging turns up a rumor that Ford installed 428s when the 429 ran out. Some people who ordered the car with a 429 CJ actually had a 428 car delivered to them.

Any of you gurus out there have any interesting knowledge about this? Any ideas about what a fair price would be for a car which is supposed to be complete? Dont kow the overall shape it's in, but was told it is a complete car. trying to arrange a road trip ASAP. Any and all info is appreciated.........

See less See more
#5 ·
Man, I barely know where to begin...

Bigblock89 said:
Here's the scoop. Friend at work was trying to sell a vehicle. Guy #1 comes to look at it and starts talking to him about trading the vehicle for some engines he's trying to get rid of. Friend not interested in trades, but lets guy #1 know I might be interested in checking them out because I'm looking for a project. Anyway, due to life's general issues, we were never able to make the road trip happen and it fell to the way side. Guy #1 contacts him again recently and mentions he has a friend who is trying to sell some older Fords including a 1970 1/2 Ford falcon with a 428. Insists that its a 428. It isn't, unless someone put it in

A little research turns up this is essentially a Gran Torino,
No it isn't. The Gran Torino was produced in 72 and up. It was a former Chevy guy (bunkie Knudson's) design and its a full frame car. 100% different than a Torino/Falcon/Fairlane in 70. The 70 1/2 Falcon was produced in the latter half of 70 due to the new samller body Falcon having issues passing government crash mandates. The Falcon was generally a midsize stripper with rubber mats etc but could be ordered with the full line of Ford 70 engines. from the 200 six up to the 429 SCJ Ram air. The way to tell a Falcon from the Torino and the 70 (last year for the) Fairlane is the "post" quarter window. The Falcon had the metal frame around the door glass much like the 4 door and wagon. All others, Cobra, fairlane, Ranchero etc had a glass side and quarter window.

just slightly different, and it was a very small production run AND they had all the same options available as the Gran Torino up to and including the 429CJ. Now, why would it have a 428? Some more digging turns up a rumor that Ford installed 428s when the 429 ran out. Some people who ordered the car with a 429 CJ actually had a 428 car delivered to them.

Never happened. the 428 wasn't being produced in 70 for cars

Any of you gurus out there have any interesting knowledge about this? Any ideas about what a fair price would be for a car which is supposed to be complete? Dont kow the overall shape it's in, but was told it is a complete car. trying to arrange a road trip ASAP. Any and all info is appreciated.........
If the car is a CJ or SCJ ram air car with minimal rust plan on spending $65,000+ They made like 16 of those. No idea on the Thunderjet cars.
If it has a 428 in it figure the cost of selling the FE and if it has anything but a C, J or N code in the Vin the car is worth about what a good Falcon grill will fetch on Ebay=$1500

For more info post here www.torinocobra.com/forum

#13 ·
Apparently he cant tell a 429CJ from a 351C. It's a M code car with shaker scoop. Shaker assembly was gone when I got there and (for me at least) there's too many issues that would need to be addressed to make it nice. Maybe next time.
I am the father of the owner of a 70 1/2 Ford Falcon, pretty much fully restored, and customized, and looks great! He has come upon hard times, and is reluctantly considering parting with his pride and joy. I do not have pics yet, but trying to find possible interested parties. I think I remember that it has a floor shift. He took it out for a test run, and blew a head gasket, with no funds for repair, and needing funds otherwise. Looking for parties that would recognize it's value, and not rip him off badly. I do not know what engine, tranny, or otherwise yet. .......Ray navefmly@socal.rr.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.