460 Ford Forum banner

My 460 Torino conversion

46K views 233 replies 19 participants last post by  MrScharfenberger 
#1 · (Edited)
#86 ·
reverb

HAHAHA..... I kinda liked the way the camera shook with each surge. But it's out now and on the rack. I got it leaned out and it's a fine line between being lean enough and idle low enough to stay running. Idle will be just under 2k in neutral. Also found out that timing lights don't like 10.4 wires. Gotta put an 8mm on #1 just to time it. Might change WOT pill from 116 up a few notches for now.

Thanks for the comments and hopefully I will get further on it today.

Have a good one!:)

#88 ·
video

I asked how to post the video on here because it wouldn't work through the picture part. I got no replies. So I said to go to my facebook pages. august Giovanni, or, auggie Giovanni. Ohio obviously. My pages have the torino as my face pic. If its a young un with his GF then those are my son. Will get another video after I get it off the rack and tuned better.

Will post more pics later of under side of car and again...... If anyone can tell me how to post a video to here I would appreciate it. Even If I have to send it to your e-mail and you can post it..... had a guy post pics for me before I figured that part out, lol...... But if you cant find my Fb page, PM your email and I will send it to you.....

Back to the rack.......

#93 · (Edited)
tried to copy and paste..... but it posted the link but wouldn't connect when I tried it for myself..... That's ok... will keep posting pics and some more vids one way or the other////

Thanks Guys and I got some under side pics to post later.....

Have a good one!

up on the rack

car under cover is my 68 GTO soft top...... got a pit in my garage too.... but it's under the GTO, lol... not much use...

just the turn down/out pipes/// wiring the pyros in morning

#94 · (Edited)
tried again...

I tried again and it doesn't even show the "paste" darkened for me to click it. That's ok. I will be making another one soon. I got the idle leaned out and am going to set the timing and reset valve lash. I also want to lean out the WOT from a 116 pill to something close to a 200 pill. I had a few setbacks again but what else is new, lol.....

Glad it rained almost all day here.... made me feel better since I wasn't ready to run this weekend.

Hope you all are having a good weekend!

Later, Auggie

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4729110405122

#96 ·
The link works fine for me that you posted, one thing I have noticed is when I share a link from Facebook I have to close my facebook to check that the link works as it should, or for some reason it won't work.

#98 ·
ran into water pump problems

Ran into WP problems Sunday night. I got it pulled and ran to Summit.... no box, papers, etc..... Had receipt. They gave me a new one without blinking. I really LOVE their return policy! Got it back on. Remounted the fuel pump and aligned belt. Let everything set up all day while working on electrical inside car today and finishing mounting O2 sensor in turndown pipe. Also got nos tank bracket mounted down. Want to put an extra heat shield by exhaust tip by braided fuel lines to keep some heat off of lines.

When I was working with the carbs, WAY BACK WHEN, lol.... I was entertaining the thought of incorporating a CO2 throttle with my trans brake to keep from hammering the engine when staging with trans brake on. They say you can't have more than, I believe but don't quote me on this, 40 lbs pull on the throttle cable and I had to push my pedal with both feet or so it felt like. But last night I was thinking that since I was running the CO2 tank for the purge effects that I could easily add the CO2 throttle. I won't be doing that this week BUT.... probably over the winter. I like the idea of holding the pedal on the floor with trans brake on and, even though I like the sound, not banging the s**t out of the engine.

Just another thought I had that would put the dummy nos tank to good use, lol.

Later today I will be back inside working on some electronics and getting it all cleaned out..... AGAIN......

Then check that phasing deal and adjusting the valves again.....

Talk to you all later.............................

#99 ·
strip

ok Auggie, are we going to the track this weekend? well I hope so and we all wanna see a 10.sec pass outta that flyin red machine, anyway I hope you get enough shake down passes to get it tuned good, was it all good before you started the engine project? like trans, converter, gear and tires? what did it run before you started the build? good luck and lemme know Dude!!!!!

#100 ·
Last Weekend!!!!

The weather here is looking good for Saturday/Sunday.... and this is last weekend for our local track. I have been buttoning things up left and right to make it. As it stands... I'm going to cut hood to fit tomorrow and wash car down and clean out trailer. Then I'm going back to working on it. I opened up a dist cap so I can try phasing the dizzy. I hooked up the "timing adjust box" along side of the "timing boost box"/ I am using the adjust box right now. I also have to adjust the timing and valve lash. I keep getting coolant leaks so I am going to pressurize it in the morning and try and find and seal any leaks. I ran it today with pressure gauge on it and it went up to about 15 lbs at close to 200 degrees. I have a new overflow tank to install tomorrow too.

As for rest of car. Everything I have done since I got it was to make it stronger/better in some way. The weak link, in my opinion, will be the P/G. It's had "stuff" done to it and has a pro-tree trans brake in it. B&M Pro Bandit Shifter w/electric shift solenoid controlled with electronic rpm switch box. Line lock on front brakes. I just installed a new torque converter at beginning of summer, (4,500 stall), that was the recommendation from Competition Converters. Besides what you know about engine and P/G, torque converter and RW flex plate. I just had a heavy duty driveshaft made for it when I did converter. The chassis shop cut out all the 4 link brackets and went heavier and boxed. coil overs on rear. Upper tube a-arms on front. Then they put it on the scales and set it up to launch right. Weight ratio was 51.2% front and 48.8% on rear. Car weighs 3,400 lbs with me (200 lbs) in it. I went with Wilwood discs on all 4 corners, 9"ford rear with Richmond 4:86 gears. Strange spool and Strange axles. Had a problem where I sheered all the studs on left because they were not big enough. Strange told me I had their strongest axles, if I wanted they could drill them for bigger studs. I told them no, send me a new set and I would hang onto the others for spares. 15x15x33 MT slicks. New this year. I have another new set also as back ups. You have seen the chassis.... full tube with double dragster roll cages. Had two junkyard cloth seats, removed and installed one Kirkley alum. Obviously new belts and window net.

Like I said... this whole conversion started because car sounded great, smoked tires great, but launched like a dog. Best time was a fluke of 12sec flat. That was on about 5th pass the car ever made. Then I got stuck in a rut of high 13's. Had a lot of carb problems, etc.... All the good guys out here at local track have been helpful and understanding.... gotta work out the bugs on a car never run before. But they ALL feel the car is good for under 10's. I'M the one that wants tens. And their consensus is the same as on here. They felt cam was big issue. They have been asking where I have been. Well...... they will see me Saturday. Even if car isn't completely ready I am going to take it out, hang out at the track with my friends, work with it, cook out and have a few suds and hopefully get some T&T passes in!!!!

Was thinking... With this all being SOOO much different, I wonder if I should put the wheelie bars back on. Or at least take them along "just in case", lol. WOULD LOVE TO PULL A 2-3 FOOT WHEELIE WITH A 9 SEC PASS AND GET KICKED OFF TRACK!!!!!!!!! Just ONCE I would like to be told to slow it down or load it up! hahaha

Will let you all know how it goes...... good OR bad! Then I have all winter to pull it and freshen it up, maybe small stroke job..... who knows.

Have a good weekend everyone!!!!!!

Auggie

#104 ·
AAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH

one step forward and two steps back!!! WE ALL KNOW THE FEELING!!! :mad:

After a few glitches last night I was pretty sure I would be there today. EVEN if I had to finish tuning it there...... WELL..... Murphys law got me! :eek:

Last night I finished readjusting drivers side valves and buttoned it up. Went to pass side.... the valve adjustment went ok, no major problems. I got hood cut out to fit. I don't like it but no biggie. It was busted up underneath pretty bad and I had it patched with plans on a new one over winter, painted satin black like fords used to do back in the day. Would like to stay away from a scoop so I will relocate the solenoids and such to get the new one to fit.

OK, back to car. Put timing light on it and no signal. Thought it was to big of wires. Put smaller wire on and no signal.... changed plug.... SIGNAL! Then my conductor on my light broke. I had to wedge the broken piece in but got a signal. Timing is a tooth out. Funny part is.... When setting it up I thought it was out a tooth and moved it..... IT WAS FINE! Now I have to reset the dizzy, install new plugs (bought 2 sets till I get the injection set, lol) I may even have to break out my old yellow Niehof (however it's spelled) timing light with the SPRING on it that goes on plug! HE*L... I had it hanging on the wall as an antique art piece.... along with my SUN vacuum gauge, hahahaha.....

SOOOOO...... TODAY I am finishing it up. Running up and down on temp several times and swapping out oil and filter. Timing will be set so that I can advance OR retard it. That way if it gets hard to start I can move it a little but still bump it for the blower boost WITHOUT over doing it right off the bat and screwing something up.

SO GUYS! I am REALLY REALLY SORRY that I have no track pics from today. BUT, tomorrow is supposed to be beautiful, the car AND trailer will be cleaned and ready to go first thing in the morning. I will have some extra time to double check everything and NOT be rushed.

I have more pics to post of things I have done and a video of it running in drive.... and one at night with NOS coming from grill. Will post that stuff later and TOMORROW I will have, provided MR. Murphy leaves me alone, some track pics and hopefully a time slip in the 10's..... or even 11's since I'm still tuning. BUT A 2' WHEELIE AND 9 SECOND PASS AND GETTING KICKED OFF TRACK WOULD BE MY BIRTHDAY/CHRISTMAS/FATHERS DAY/ and any other holiday gift FOR ME!!!!

I found out I have one more weekend and then they start with 1000ft passes.

So if I am STILL not in 10's? I'm swapping pulleys to 10% over and filling NOS bottle FOR ONE FREAKING PASS!!!! I will get to 10's ONE WAY OR ANOTHER THIS YEAR!!!!! hahaha

I hope to have some NON DISSAPOINTING stuff for you tomorrow night!!!

Thanks for ALL the encouragement and backing. It really does make all the difference!!

Talk to you all later and God Bless!!!!! :D

#105 · (Edited)
MURPHY STRIKES AGAIN!

I don't know guys.... It's looking like someone upstairs doesn't want me taking the Torino to the track :(

I went out this morning and changed some things back. To many changes all at once. I hooked up the boost timing box. I took the lock off the mechanical advance. Right there were 2 things that are now back to the way it was before but can be changed right at the track. I threw the new plugs in and moved the dizzy a tooth. Fired it up and it was missing pretty bad. Actually, the miss was BEFORE I switched box back and unlocked dizzy.

But it cleared up as I started leaning out the idle again. When they said that injected gas has a VERY small window of adjustment they were not kidding! It is a VERY fine line between rich/right & lean. While trying to get idle down some at same time.

Here is where Murphy comes in. Yesterday where coolant was leaking it was nice and dry today...... but there was a puddle of oil on pass side up front after running it all morning and afternoon. Not huge. One paper towel wiped it all up. But I can't see anyplace definite where it is coming from. I'm thinking corner of oil pan/block mount plate/timing cover. Once I change oil and put diaper back on I'm sure a quick wipe between runs will keep everything nice and dry. But it just HAD to happen!!!

I made a quick video of it running in drive. You will see where I was revving it up and then it started running really rich and then I adjusted it out again. The linkage for adjusting the mix came loose and vibrated to richness side...... I think once I get it set up right and LEARN how to start/shutdown an injected engine properly I will really like it!

Till then...... I'm getting VERY frustrated to say the least!!!!

Well, I better pull it in on rack before it gets to late and the neighbors freak when I start it, lol.... Will post vid on FB and then try and link it.......

#108 ·
you just gotta laugh sometimes.....

After everything else that has happened and still is........ I went out to pull Torino in on rack to change oil and starter solenoid wires had come loose and fried solenoid....... Starter still good so I went out to my 1975 ford dump truck and noticed it had a fairly new one on it so I pulled it off. Then.... as I walked back into garage I remembered I have a brand new spare solenoid in my trailer, lol..... I just can't win. Going to fill with racing 50 in morning and put new filter on. Think I will take it to the track and work on tuning it there. If all goes well I may even get a pass or two in, lol

I'm not the MOST superstitious person but I'm starting to think there are higher powers at work here...............

Will try again tomorrow.

Goodnight All................

#109 ·
screw it!

If I were you guys I would give up on watching for anything good from this post....... I was up at 8 and in the garage. Buttoned bottom up, dropped the lift and filled oil level. Went over and took Cobra out of the trailer to put the trailer in the drive to clean it out and load the torino..... Expedition had a dead battery.... jumped it with a spare in trailer. Got trailer in drive and hurried up and cleaned it out.

Now mind you.... I checked weather this morning and no rain till tonight. Well, by the time I got the trailer cleaned out, about 10:30-11, the clouds rolled in BIG TIME! So I kept putting all my tools and stuff back in the trailer that I took out over last 2-3 weeks. Topped off air compressor tank and filled water supply.

Now it's looking like it's going to rain before I get to track and tune it and change that solenoid....

I told you. Greater powers were working against me to NOT put that car on the track this week. If my friends go up to Norwalk or one of the others that T&T on Wed/Thur I might take it up. But at least, weather provided, I have next weekend. That will also give me time to make changes here and not at the track.

If you feel like giving up on me I don't blame you... I'm ready to give up on myself and just pull it for the winter...... But not JUST YET! I got till end of month. Even if I have to T&T in 1000 feet!!! Then one more month at the further tracks......

Sorry Guys...... You CAN NOT be any more bummed than me!!!!

#110 ·
Give up on you???

No way.

We all have bad luck from time to time. Your luck will get better and the Torino will make a great pass soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.