460 Ford Forum banner

header design and build

5K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  A-bomb 
#1 ·
Thinking of building my own headers for my 2002mustang with a 460 in it.

Header style and design is a question i have. Along with some fab questions.

I posted three pics of completely different header design. Two look very restrictive and teh maddog headers look simple, clean and free flowing.

I plan on using a motor plate and a trans crossmember (no midplate)

I also thought about picking up a "weld your own kit" to 1. save cash 2. get the experience.

I have a mig welder with gas at the house.

Anyone have tips or tricks to not screw this up , or should i just spend the money of already build headers- if i make my own i planned to flow the design of the maddog one since they look the easiest and look less restrictive.

all of these are around the same pricing.
maddog headers

Hooker supercomp

D&D autospec

See less See more
#3 ·
If you enjoy fabricating stuff, it's a great way to save a few bucks and have some fun. It also makes you feel good to say "oh, I built them" when people ask where you got your headers.

You don't really need anything more than a mig and an angle grinder with a cut-off wheel, although a band saw is nice to have.

#5 ·
Generally, you want as much straight pipe as possible before the first bend, as few bends as possible, and as equal length as possible...equal length being more important than fewer bends. The chassis will more often than not dictate how close to perfect you can get.

#7 ·
There's also the tri-Y design that goes four into two then into one.

#9 ·
header

i have a 1994 mustang with 557 with p51 head ,i have put a set of hooker header.
i have upgrade with with kooks header 5502 is a horor or nightmare
the left side the tube are too long to clear shock tower and the right side it impossible to bolt the tube on cylinder 2

if i have to go back ,my first choice is hooker header

#10 ·
I don't think anyone makes ones to work with a stick so you will more than likely need to build your own our modify a set. I have done three sets of customs now and definitely got better results on the second set and third set than the first. I am planning on buying a tig welder and starting to do more of them I enjoy the challenge and to have ones custom built is usually $1500+ I can't see charging that kinda money so gonna do them cheaper. I say go ahead and build your own, the worst part of doing them with a Mig is grinding the welds down of you want a clean look our you could just wrap them.

#15 ·
Header design & build

You should get in touch with Eddie Henemen at Headers by Ed in Minnesota. 612-729-2802. He's got all the peices and can advise you all the way. He helped me with mine, now I'm on my third set. You just can't buy a set of headers that are as good as what you can build, you may doubt that right now but you'll be glad you did it afterwards.

#16 ·
That's a great video that they have, I am impressed. Maybe if I build another engine and I need different headers I can do that.

D

#17 ·
I say build your own. Not that hard and very gratifying. I have done 2 sets now ( one from a heavily modified kit and the other from stock bends ) , just mig welded and wrapped. Looks good and keeps surrounding things from melting. Just take your time, make sure your welder is set good ( practice with some extra pipe if needed ), metal clean and gap good, have fun with it! In the end you'll get what you needed and have the satisfaction of your accomplishment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.