460 Ford Forum banner

Troubleshooting burnt crank thrust in front of C6

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  loman 
#1 ·
Installed a custom valve body (full auto) on my C6 a few months ago. Rear main seal started leaking a little. Kept getting worse. Checked the crank end play and the thrust is wiped on the rear side. Is this a coincidence? What do I need to check on the tranny to make sure the converter is not pushing on the crank?

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply Greg. I flushed and cleaned the lines and cooler yesterday because I thought I had heard someone in the past mention this. The fluid was clean and I could blow through easily. The converter had about 1/4" play backwards after unbolting it from the flexplate. Is that too much?

#4 ·
Need to see what the pressure is in the cooler circuit. If that's high it maybe pushing the converter forward pushing towards the thrust.
1/4" is prob a bit much if that's what you have. most sources say 1/8-3/16" You can pull the converter too far out as well but in your case with good clearance is not causing your thrust issue.

#5 ·
I wiped the thrust on my 347/c4 combo a few years ago. I had added a second cooler inline. I used a short line to connect the 2 coolers. When I took it apart to fix the thrust I re-routed the lines and used a longer line to connect the coolers (larger Radius) Haven't had an issue for 4 years now. If the converter hasn't balooned then It's most likely a restriction in the cooler circuit

#8 ·
Yeah thanks for the tip ustahava67. I'll check to make sure the lines aren't kinked or have too sharp of bends. Greg do you think a pressure reading while the engine is revved a little in neutral will be accurate or does it need to be while driving?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.