460 Ford Forum banner

smog pump

17K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Paul Kane 
#1 ·
At the risk of showing how much i really don't know, I would like to ask the following. I have a 1990 Champion motor home with the 460 engine that has two smog pumps on it. One recently locked up and rather than burn the belt up( which only drives the smog pumps) I took it off. Once I did that, I found the other was almost impossible to turn by hand. I have noticed no change in performance with them offline. Can I leave it like this or do I need to go through and remove all the hoses involved in the system? Is there a "how to" anywhere? Replace them would be a job on this vehicle, involving removing the grill, radiator, trans cooler and related equipment.The other thing I notices, while looking down into the carb while the engine is running, the fuel drips out of the tube into the carb. I was expecting a spray or a squirt. Is this normal or is something clogged? This RV sat up for a long time (at least a couple of years) before I bought it.The engine has about 45K on it and seems to run pretty well. The trans is a C-6. I appreciate any info you can give.

#2 ·
More than likely, the bearings seized up on the smog pump (its really called an air pump), and the other one is not too far behind its twin brother!!

Removing the belt will have no negative effect on them, and you can leave everything hooked up because there are one-way valves in the system that allow the air to pump into the exhaust stream without having the exhaust come back thru the pump....as long as those check valves are still good, you are not harming anything.

If it requires a smog test, then the pumps must be replaced or it'll never pass.

#3 ·
Thanks for the input, I'll let everything stay as is for now, there's a lot of "stuff". I actually was getting a howling from the engine I presumed was the fan clutch that I now think was the bearing in the pump. I ran it for a little while today and didn't get the dripping from the carb, so that doesn't seem to be a question anymore. Thanks again for your time.

#4 ·
There may have been a bit of dirt in the float needle valve. This allows the fuel to overfill the float bowl and drip out the boosters. If the MH sat for a long time, a carb rebuild is prolly in order.

Bill

#5 ·
On one occassion, I have seen the air pump passages in the roof of the exhaust ports completely carboned shut, presumably because the air pumps were not functional and the engine was probably not in the best shape (burning oil/running rich). Something to think about so that you don't have any nnforseen matters should you need to reinstall the air pump only to find they are not being effective at all.

Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.